ForumsGamesGame of the year.

121 25246
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

This could be any game released this year, from spelunky to halo 4.

• 121 Replies
dav123
dav123
105 posts
Jester

hmmm.. that's tough.

TeslaGuy
TeslaGuy
959 posts
Nomad

So , what have we released ?

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

So , what have we released ?

Devil May Cry, Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, Crysis 3, Sniper Ghost Warrior 2, Tomb Raider, God of War Ascension, Starcraft 2 HOTS, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Island Riptide, Don't Starve, The Last of Us, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Metro Last Light.

Those have been released so far. Not to mention all the games coming out in the summer and fall, including next generation launch titles. Watch Dogs is coming out in November and GTA V is coming in September. October has Beyond Two Souls, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV, and Batman: Arkham Origins.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Special mention to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. It's not a lot more than a stylish FPS, but it's a ton of fun, really quick to finish and has a great sense of humor.

TeslaGuy
TeslaGuy
959 posts
Nomad

Never played these games
Then I'll stay with GTAV (Grand Theft Auto 5 / V , Well GTAV sounds funny)

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Then I'll stay with GTAV (Grand Theft Auto 5 / V , Well GTAV sounds funny)

GTAV doesn't come out until September. We don't know if it'll be game of the year worthy yet.
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Special mention to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. It's not a lot more than a stylish FPS, but it's a ton of fun, really quick to finish and has a great sense of humor.

I completely agree. I actually had more fun with it than Far Cry 3 in general. I never really liked the Far Cry games though so my opinion might be off-balance.

I really want to say The Last of Us is the game of the year so far but because it's not multi-platform I think Bioshock Infinite will get it. I don't think Bioshock Infinite is that fun to play but the world design and story is what will make it the GOTY to the mainstream audience and developers.

I really hope it's not the GOTY though. I'd much rather a different game.
DidactUnbound
DidactUnbound
370 posts
Nomad

Out of all the options listed, I'm going with Dead Space 3. Why? Because I never get tired of making new weapons and switching out their components until I get ULTIMATE POWER!!!!

But seriously, in my opinion, it has the most replay value, meaning that you can play it even after you beat the game and still not get bored. Not to say it was the most fun, but other games I felt were too short, like Crysis 3, for instance. If Crysis 3 was longer, it would have easily won my vote. The downside to Dead Space 3? It's too much fun, so I spend a lot of time playing it, and...it glitches...a lot. One of my friends had said that he had played through the story five times, and the glitches almost broke the game. But that was after five times beating the story, and I'm only on my second time. Even so, after a while, the game begins to glitch. The only reason I consider this a downside is because the game literally draws you in with all these bonuses, side missions co-op, and a crafting/scavenging system that actually serves a purpose and works well.

If I had to rate Dead Space 3, I would give it a 9.5/10.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

If I had to rate Dead Space 3, I would give it a 9.5/10.

You are what's wrong with the gaming industry.

You know what games like Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 are? They're blockbusters.
They're big dumb action films, calculated to appeal to our most base satisfaction. They cost millions of dollars to make and market, but ultimately they're nothing more than shooting things and looking at pretty sights.

There's no artistic ambition, there's no innovation, there's nothing but a formula and production values. These are games the industry makes in their sleep, and they simply cannot fail. They have an inbuilt audience.

That's because the gamer and game critic aren't like the moviegoer and the movie critic, for instance. The gamer still doesn't take games seriously. The gamer will seriously give a stupid, boneheaded FPS a grade like 9.5, meaning near-perfection, because he simply doesn't see what games could be.
The movie critic looks at an action film and sees the cliché, the formulas, the blandness and cheap emotional appeal, and judges the movie accordingly.

Of course, it's no use criticizing a Hollywood film for being artless. If it just wants to be fun and IS a lot of fun, great! It does what it sets out to do. But nobody ever treats Fast & Furious 6 as a masterpiece of cinema. Nobody gives it a perfect score, because that's stupid. Movies can do far more than that, and to call a movie that aims so low &quoterfect" is to underestimate the entire medium.

But the gaming critic, he just doesn't see that potential in games. He will give a near-perfect score to Black Ops II because it's "cinematic" and "fun" and "awesome" and "big", as if that's everything a game could ever hope to be.

It is downright astonishing that titles as profound and inventive and well-written as BioShock, Portal, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex and whatever the **** even exist, because from the way reviewers expect freaking nothing from games, it's like they don't. It's like nobody knows games can be more.

Dead Space 3, game of the year, 9.5/10?

Fat. ****ing. Chance.
DidactUnbound
DidactUnbound
370 posts
Nomad

I understand your point, but you could have worded it better. In any case, I see your point. Dead Space 3 was no where near what it could have been. I was left with a dirty feeling when I played it. I didn't appreciate the change of focus. What happened to actually making a survival horror? The only people that Dead Space 3 even scared was people who didn't play the first two. I know what you mean when you say they're blockbusters and they appeal to our base satisfactions. I was disappointed, ultimately. The game that was released in February called Dead Space 3 wasn't Dead Space. It was a sorry excuse for Dead Space.

And next time, don't point the blame at me, because I'm not the only problem and you know it. I admit, I may be part of the problem, but if you really want to help anything, show us what games could really be, or tell us. Maybe then we might make progress. Try fixing a problem before you rant about it. I'm not criticizing you, but talking about the situation will get us nowhere. If you really want to fix something, take action. Show us the way.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

They're big dumb action films, calculated to appeal to our most base satisfaction. They cost millions of dollars to make and market, but ultimately they're nothing more than shooting things and looking at pretty sights.

You know what, I really enjoy action blockbusters. I know you're not supposed to but I REALLY do. They're not the most amazing games but at the end of the day, I like explosions and shooting things and that is what these games give me.

I wouldn't say they're game of the year but at least they have a game that is fun to play. I feel like Bioshock Infinite is an amazing game but I had absolutely no fun actually shooting in that game. In fact, I just changed the game to easiest difficulty after a while because all I wanted to do was finish the game and I didn't want to sit there being unsatisfied with the enemies.

I didn't feel like there was anything wrong with the mechanics but I just did not enjoy it for whatever reason. At least with games like Dead Space (where the mechanics are broken and there is no innovation) I had fun shooting.

It's one of the main reasons Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was so fun to me. Although that game could be said to be innovative and it had solid mechanics.
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Um... little big planet 2 for 2012

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

It's one of the main reasons Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was so fun to me. Although that game could be said to be innovative and it had solid mechanics.

Blood Dragon was surprisingly good for how short it is, The cinematics, (although dirty) were great too. I really enjoyed the visual effects and the storyline. The whole game made you feel like Terminator or some other awesome bad a". I was just sad to see the game end so quickly, even after I collected all the collectibles I still felt the game was cut too short. It definitely has the potential to be its own game and series. Maybe they will make a Blood Dragon 2 in the future. BUt besides that, it was a great game with great graphics, great story and an awesome character with super cool moves.
Showing 106-118 of 121