ForumsWEPRStay Classy?

7 2887
The_Masquerade
The_Masquerade
140 posts
Nomad

Alright, this topic started off with me, my mom and some friends eating food at an expensive restaurant. Now we were eating and I noticed she started eating the sides of the dishes. You know, the things you never eat, ever?! I kicked my mom a little under the covers since there were guests at the table in the expensive restaurant. But then I thought, if I didn't eat that, that would be a waste of food. But if you did eat that, that would be "un"classy, not fit for the environment at the time being. This can be even more generalized to what you wear. Me, I was wearing a hoody, sneakers, t-shirt and jeans. I would soon smack myself in the face. But say you didn't have dress clothes. Would you spend $500 for a suit just to fit the environment. I know this may be still charades for some of you, I'll get straight to the point. Is staying classy (fitting into the environment) worth the money? Discuss and what not. And remember. Stay classy folks'.

• 7 Replies
Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

I would say that it probably isn't worth the money if its just for the heck of it. I.e. I would say it is worthwhile to buy nice clothes for church or if you were applying for a job, but not to go to a fancy resturaunt or an expensive party.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, it really depends on what you call "classy." It may be confused as to being "fancy." In your example, I would call that being fancy. I tend to leave the real fancy clothes and accesories to those who have the dough to fork out, but fitting into your environment really depends on the person you are. More "individual," people may dress crazy, so you may define them as unclassy.

I may just be running around the bush here, but to answer the question. Is it worth the money? I think it is worth it, if (and only if) it is "you." That links to how you really are personality wise. I don't think a goth should dress all nice if their going to an expensive resturaunt, but they should at least try to be a bit "classy."

This whole post could be alot of babbling, so if you don't understand, I fell you, haha.

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

Why do people even care about being classy and having to choke yourself up over small side dishes that in no way affect your life. I'm not saying you should be a slob and not have class but come on!

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I am with Estel, there is a huge difference between classy and fancy.

Class: excusing yourself from the table
Fancy: Not dining on specific dishes
Rude: Peeing under the table

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I will add to Asherlee's list:

Exhibitionist: Peeing over the table.

...anyway!

There's also 'retentious', surely that factors into this. We're talking about how suited one is to interacting in various environments, and just how applicable certain rules are. Me, having a fairly pragmatic perspective borne from growing up dirt poor, while I appreciate cultural distinctions, I do not value the social etiquette of 'not eating garnish' over the value of the food itself and disapprove of wastefulness.

The same with formal wear- I wouldn't wear it unless it were somehow demanded of me or served a great social advantage. It's not that I mind wearing suits (and I look great in one, haha), but simply aiming to maximise my leverage in any given environment. I can rock up to my research lab/class in trackies because it's mainly computer work, and nobody cares. However, in a hospital environment, the people there are mainly going to want to feel that I'm taking my duties as one of their professional carers seriously. So I should dress for the part.

I actually addressed a medical student entering her third round of clinical rotations on the matter- she wondered whether it would be worth turning up to the first day of her psychiatric rounds in a pink mohawk. Now that's class.

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

like everyone said there is a difference between class and fancy.. it just depends on what the situation dictates.. the only formal dinner i have eaten at was at a leadership conference and the dinner was formal and the dress was formal.. but other than that i havent gone to any fancy places.. i think it is ridiculous to pay outrageous sums of money for food and it be just because that is the stylish place to go or the hip place to be..

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Or because you're attending a $2000-a-head fundraiser for your preferred political party. Mmhmm.

Showing 1-7 of 7