Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Color or Colour

Thread Locked

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 7:38pm

blk2860

blk2860

4,405 posts

How do you spell it? Why do you spell it that way? I spell it Color. That's just the way I was taught. So have you got any Idea why anyone spells it the other way?

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 7:40pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 7:41pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

How do you spell it?

What type of English are we talking. In England they would spell it colour, in America we generally spell it color, although colour isn't wrong per-say.

So have you got any Idea why anyone spells it the other way?

Because this is America, where we do things our own way...even if it's not really right.

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 7:41pm

soccerdude2

soccerdude2

1,588 posts

There was a thread about this some time ago, I remember. I don't know if I'm up to digging through threads or not, but eh. Color is the American way, basically.

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 7:49pm

soccerdude2

soccerdude2

1,588 posts

Wow... that was a lot of posts in quick succession. Anyway I've always wanted to write "colour" or "flavour" in a paper or something and have my teacher mark it wrong, just to tell them that I'm British or something.

But yeah I found the thread, with almost exactly the same name...

http://armorgames.com/community/thread/ … our/page/1

Not sure what to do in this situation...

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 7:56pm

Patrick2011

Patrick2011

3,845 posts

3 things:

1) I think the other thread is old enough that this thread will not be locked as a duplciate.

2) I spell it color.

3) There is not much to this thread and may be locked as "versus", "favorite", or the like.

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 8:08pm

dr_doughnut

dr_doughnut

72 posts

I spell it both ways. Colour when I want to be fancy. They spell it different ways depending on how they were taught I guess.

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 8:09pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Personally, I've always liked the English way. It seems so much more cultured :P

Though, generally, I just write 'color' when writing a paper or the like. I just have to remember to write with 'u's if I'm writing in an English setting... I'm working on a short story set in England now, actually, for World History class. I'll have to remember that.

3) There is not much to this thread and may be locked as "versus", "favorite", or the like.

I think it well explores the depths of the specialties of dialects and accents and the like. I hardly find it a 'preferred' or 'which is better' - it's how you're brought up, or your sense of flexibility when it comes to the issue.

"favourite"*

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 8:12pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

Pointless thread, seeing as both are valid.

You guys going to force me to crack down on the Tavern again? You really do not want that.