ForumsWEPRCauses of Crime

55 18164
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

I was wondering what you the gamers of AG think the cause of crime is?

• 55 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

There's not really a single cause...

Some of the big ones though are poverty, illness, desperation, greed, and bigotry. I'm sure we could spend a while simply naming various things that influence or incite people to break laws or discuss what is and is not a crime in varying places...

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Depends on the crime...and like Kasic said

BurnKush420
BurnKush420
100 posts
Nomad

crime is done because the criminal gets a personal satisfaction or a personal incentive to do the crime

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

the criminal gets a personal satisfaction or a personal incentive

Take out the word 'ersonal' and it's more accurate. Sometimes crime may be done to help others, such as stealing money to pay for a relative's medicine.
redfan45
redfan45
197 posts
Nomad

Satan and people who don't follow the bible

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

macfan is back =o

oh wait no it's redfan... seems kinda similar. xD
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

...I'm hoping you are joking

If not...then just one example that should shut your yapper. A man of the Bible...Hitler
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

Why don't people follow the bible? Why don't people abide by the law? Why did Cain murder Abel?
Also if you consider a law to be immoral is it right to follow an immoral law? When does a misdemeanour become a crime?
Look at that fellow in Norway who claimed a political justification for killing all those people. I think that he did commit a heinous crime, so did the jury. He claimed It was a political act.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

A crime is an act against the laws, so basically crimes are defined as crimes based on the laws and society.

Now for the reason people do these acts, since we just determined the only link (being a crime) as a subjective definition, it's only logic there are different reasons for each case and situation. The life situation of the criminal usually is an important factor.

I also don't think the bible has any say in this, as 1) it's moral values stem from society and not the inverse, and so the only that should follow it's specific commandments should be those who possess the appropriate set of belief, and 2) going against the commandments of the bible is technically not a crime, but a sin.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Sin-----An immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.

I am pretty sure we can define crime as a transgression against human law, so they are pretty similar.

Let me give you some advice, don't use the religious texts against atheists, they don't care what the texts say. (except perhaps for anthropological research)

~~~Darth Caedus
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I HATE people who say Violence in Video Games make people murderers.

eg. Australia

There isn't necessarily one single cause of a crime, it comes from many different factors, most of which are named already in this thread. Although, almost always it would root back to the idea that this crime in particular would benefit the person in some way. That said, Money is the root of all evil.

On a side note, this would be easier if we were to define what a crime is.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Money is the root of all evil.

there was war, ****, robbery and killing befor there was money
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I HATE people who say Violence in Video Games make people murderers. NO THEY DON'T None of you have said that so I have no problem with this thread yet.

So true. I play Halo and stuff. Am I a murderer? No... Also. Black Ops 2 just came out. Tons of people bought it. Have we an increase in murderers? No...

there was war, ****, robbery and killing befor there was money

Hahaha yeah. Take the neanderthals... (for killing at least)
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Money is the root of all evil.

Money itself is just a standardized bartering tool.
But greed tends to have a lot of influence over decisions.

this would be easier if we were to define what a crime is.

Crime is basically any action that's contrary to a law. But let's focus on things that are usually internationally frowned upon (pre-meditated murder, stealing, lying under oath, treason, etc).
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I am pretty sure we can define crime as a transgression against human law, so they are pretty similar.

My point still stands, only those people believing the "divine law" is in effect should feel concerned about not transgressing it, all others should keep to following human laws (or not).

But greed tends to have a lot of influence over decisions.

Love, greed and vengeance are often told to be the main motives in crimes. At least in TV series X) but it's propably not that far off.

Crime is basically any action that's contrary to a law. But let's focus on things that are usually internationally frowned upon (pre-meditated murder, stealing, lying under oath, treason, etc).

Why?
Showing 1-15 of 55