ForumsThe Tavern[NECRO] I thought this was news worth sharing

196 70933
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

John now works for Kongregate.

And some questions: Are his future games going to be exclusive to Kongregate (for example, Exit Path 2 is here but not there, if he made a big game will it only be played there)? Will he still remain an administrator here?

Wasn't sure where to put this.

• 196 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

No offense but if you were AG's mascot I'd leave

Well..I get not agreeing with it...but right out leaving?

I was mostly joking. I have no real plans on creating any more games or improving my current one.

Good..my reign stands! Now..everyone...buy stuffed animals of me!!!
70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

@GhostOfMatrix: oh well i DID hope to see ur new games, but if it s a JK, then so be it lah :-P
but if u ever change ur mind, make sure tell me lah XD

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

So this is the first time I log into AG for some weeks, and a little bird told me John is moving jobs to the Kong office. I suppose a farewell of sorts is in order, so farewell! (I'm downplaying this mainly because most of us know John as a virtual entity, and I don't see why his games won't continue to appear on AG, but all the best to him nonetheless.)

The main purpose of this post is to set a few facts straight (fellow active vets like Cen, Gantic, 'voidy, and kingryan might be able to confirm or amend the following):

Carlie and John got married in September 2010 (I know this because I wanted to pop by Sydney where they spent some of their honeymoon, but their travel plans coincided with my mandatory attendance at some rural placement as part of my final semester, which gave me the sads). It's no secret that they'd known each other since at least college. Carlie is indeed working as a marine biologist, like she always wanted to (source: Facebook).

Carlie was made community administrator from mid-2008 (I think on a volunteer basis), but was already relatively inactive by the time Cormyn was officially hired (while the WoM isn't faithful to chronology this, and my speculations on the reasons, is portrayed in the series).

Cormyn left AG ultimately for family reasons (AFAIK). He said that while he loved the office, the job and the people he and his wife had been discussing the future i.e. their kids, and overall, that consideration came up trumps. Any true family man would have made the same call.

I have to admit that the gloating over at Kong did kick me in the feels a little bit, which disproves my suspicion that I'd stopped caring about AG. I guess sticking around one place so long one becomes part of the furniture does imply that one calls that place home. I've nothing against Kong, but consider this community to be a "safe haven" of sorts relative to your average youth-occupied internet forum. I may be compelled to revise this opinion at some point in the future (dare I even venture back to NG? lol), but then again, I probably won't have the time (a pity, it sounds like the grounds for another great internet adventure, just like the old days when I first joined AG...)

Finally, for those of you who don't understand 70^3, it's just that he types in Singlish. Maybe if you could hear it in action it may make a little more sense.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

(Also I thought I'd take a look at Kong, but on Sep 2 of this year somebody took strop as a username already, and it sure as heck wasn't me. Argh!!!)

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Corrections: I'm quite certain it was 2009. It was after she graduated and part way into WOM before I was a mod. They new each other since high school, like Carlie's profile states.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Strop, if my memory serves me well, I do believe you got all of those points right on. Or at least close enough to get the right impression across.

For all of you who have not check out the thread on Kong, I think I summed it up pretty well:

...Over here I see a lot of the same sort of posts, yet instead of wails of sorrow you get gigglesnorts of glee. It amuses me.

I really do wish John the best and hope things go well for him. Iâm sure heâll keep on creating awesome games and vomiting all the awesomeness on our interwebs so people can enjoy them. Which is the main point, right? Giving people games to enjoy. Done and done, regardless of perceived camp allegiances....

As mentioned, it is not like his games are going to be Kong exclusive or anything. Anyone notice how the a good portion of the top games on Kong are from us? We've got a lot of creative devs on our team, John was one of many. I fail to see why everyone has become doomsayers since learning about this.
kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

John now works for Kongregate?

My soul has just died.

Though as long as he doesn't abandon AG and continues to add new games to here, I think I'll be satisfied.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

So you have the means of making flash games?

No... I was just being stupid... I'm not very good at it.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I'm quite certain it was 2009. It was after she graduated and part way into WOM before I was a mod

I thought about it, and realised you are correct. My error was that the rural rotation I had was actually in 2009. I thought I had one in 2010 too, but that's merely my memory conflating things.
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

that was news worth sharing. it gives me a forum to respond to.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

it gives me a forum to respond to.

But with apparently nothing to say..

----

Also..it appears a few of them of them (or at least one) is keeping an eye on our thread here... *waves to VforVendetta*
70_70_70
70_70_70
393 posts
Peasant

@Strop: tks for ur explaination, especially the video lah XD
@Devoidless: hmm imo, some reasons for this cry fest over John's leaving is:
1. He was the HEAD developer of AG, so when he left he ll give AG a big hole to fill, and yeh- I also wonder who ll be the next head developer to replace John lah?
2. His elephant games were truly EPIC, and it even bcame AG's mascot, so we also need to find a new mascot now, and some guys alr volunteered to bcome new mascot such as pang or GOM lah :-P
3. Well, like I said, it s a crying fest, so some of them may just cry bcoz of the chaining action lah XD

wiggles96
wiggles96
1 posts
Nomad

Ok people, you don't seem to understand. Kongregate is full of sarcastic jokers. Especially in the forums. Those 2 quotes you kept yelling at before? THEY WERE JOKING. I've been a member of Kong for almost 4 years now, and we just generally joke around a lot more. i don't understand why you all seem to hate us so much.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Dude, we know it was joking (still not convinced about the 'take that AG' part though), we were just being overly dramatic.

When you guys really get to start missing John, go play Give Up and fell a bit less sad.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

2. His elephant games were truly EPIC, and it even bcame AG's mascot, so we also need to find a new mascot now, and some guys alr volunteered to bcome new mascot such as pang or GOM lah :-P

Maybe we can return to our medieval roots. Games of Gondor and all....
Showing 121-135 of 196