ForumsThe TavernWhat is your favorite language?

28 5239
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

What is your favorite language? I know a lot of people are going to say the first language they learned, but my favorite is Chinese and I first spoke English. I think Chinese sounds cool.

• 28 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Actually I like Russian for some reason. It just sounds really cool.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

And by Chinese do you mean Mandarin?

My favorite language is English, but it's not the first language I learned. English might only be the favorite perhaps due to my fluency and the freedom the language allows to play with words and to make up words. I think English has been influenced by more languages than any other language prior to its popularization.
Somewhat relevant and interesting Youtube video: . Also Shakespeare.

dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

And by Chinese do you mean Mandarin?
Yes.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Besides English, I like German and Japanese. Both are fun, and I wish I knew more than just a few words. My favorite German word is fünf (5) and my favorite Japanese word is baka (idiot,dummy,etc). Both are fun to say, though I rarely have a reason to say fünf.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

German=Number One.

My favorite German word is fünf

It's strange, because I was just asked that question a couple of days ago and I answered with funf(where is that umlaut?!?) and quatsch.

Quatsch is much more easy to say in a scenario though.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

It's strange, because I was just asked that question a couple of days ago and I answered with funf(where is that umlaut?!?) and quatsch.

Ha, that's cool. I remember when I took German, my friends and I spammed fünf the second we learned it. Sorta like the seagulls on Nemo saying "mine" over and over.

And are you asking if it should have an umlaut? It does on the wiktionary.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

German, it is awesome language, especially since you get to yell all the time and sound angry. NEIN

~~~Darth Caedus

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I like English, what a ******* language, in one sense of the word. Guess. I like the simplicity in learning it, the ease of expression and usage, no feminine or masculine words for example, and the sheer amount of beautiful literaturr accredited to it

But i like Chinese too. Mother tongue and stuff. But speaking it is so much different from other languages, its almoast like a song since it depends so heavily on emphasis.

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I think that Klingon is a good language and Spanish and Italian are nice. Polish sounds good and Swedish. In Asia there's Japanese and Urdu and Hindi. But for great sounding words that you can get a lot of expression into, I choose Yiddish.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Spanish. I love hearing and speaking it, though I don't speak it often, I hear it a lot. Also, people can make anything sound dramatic very easily in Spanish. Just watch some Spanish soap operas, or this parody. What they're saying doesn't make sense, but it's so funny.

My favorite language is English, but it's not the first language I learned.

What language did you learn first?
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

@Daleks- me too.
I just woke up oneday and was suddenly obsessed with Russia. Don't mind the fact that i can't understand it.
Well, the first language i learned was taiwanese, but then i turned one and began being taught english instead because my parents didn't want me to go to an american school with no understanding of how to speak englihs.
wow my spelling really sucks today...XD

rocky10199
rocky10199
70 posts
Peasant

I prefer accents to actual languages (much more fun to sound like your a scotsman while speaking japanese). However language wise i love japanese and english, because for as long as i can remember i have spoken both japanese and english, also japan is an awesome country.

Then there is also latin and hungarian (i have a strange obsession with hungary), because latin is just such an old and intriguing language.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

German for me...such a strong and intimidating language, but at the same time can be quite calm and soothing to me

Also...nich...the heck with all the typos?

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

What's my favorite language? 'Merican.

johnmerz
johnmerz
537 posts
Shepherd

My favorite language is English, and that for the simple reason that I speak it the best of the languages in the world.

Showing 1-15 of 28