Forums

ForumsVideo Games

The Elder Scrolls Series

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 4:34am

xNightwish

xNightwish

1,560 posts

Starting with Oblivion, they built the games for xbox, not PC. The xbox is nowhere near as powerful as even a modest PC, so...when you play on PC, everything is really just 'add on' like cake decorating. Heck, they just now figured out how to add dumbed-down construction kits to 'box.

I really wish they would make the next one PC only *first*...then port a dumbed down version to the consoles. (I know, it will never happen. Too much $ to be made....sigh)

Yes they ported it from Xbox to pc but how did that effect the pc version, except from graphics, because the thing you wrote didn't answer my question.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 7:23am

siopi

siopi

4 posts

I've played oblivion and loved it. But I think I like Skyrim more and with the mods that keep coming out it gets more entertaining. I haven't look at the online game yet, hopefully it will be good and take advantage of The Elder Scrolls lore into the story. :3

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 10:46am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

with the mods that keep coming out it gets more entertaining.

untill skyrim, mods for oblivion kept coming.
untill oblivion, morrowind mods kept coming.
untill the next, skyrim mods keep coming. =)

the ES serie is one of the few that use player made content. but in the past many games did it.

they just now figured out how to add dumbed-down construction kits to 'box.

distributing player made mods on the xbox isn't going to happen.
microsoft doesn't want all that content on their servers.
and do not want people to share files over their network/servers.
PC is a different story because that doesn't effect their servers.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 11:11am

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

Oblivion looks like poop in commerison.

It's funny when Oblivion came out I said "Holy crap these are the best graphics ever!" I said the same about Skyrim. It's funny really.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 3:02pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

2,836 posts

untill skyrim, mods for oblivion kept coming.
untill oblivion, morrowind mods kept coming.
untill the next, skyrim mods keep coming. =)

WRONG! There are still Morrowind mods being made so I'd assume the same for Oblivion.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 3:13pm

phatpastor

phatpastor

19 posts

Yes they ported it from Xbox to pc but how did that effect the pc version, except from graphics, because the thing you wrote didn't answer my question 

Actually, if you re-read that...I did. Here's one example: the physics from Oblivion were originally designed for PC, but kept crashing on 'box...so they were re-designed (dumbed down) for 'box, then used for PC as well. Thats why there are sooooo many funny glitches with physics on the PC version (dancing dead rat corpses to the tune of 'Yakkity Sax' on Youtube).

To simplify, lets say PC version programming would result in 10. Xbox 360 programming results in a 5. Anything built for box, then moved to PC will only be a 5, when its potential is 10. They can 'cake decorate' by adding a few visual or audio things, but the best they can achieve is a 5.5 or 6. Even adding construction sets to a 5 doesn't do much.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 3:19pm

phatpastor

phatpastor

19 posts

Oh, and I'll repeat this: I'm no hater. I played/finished Oblivion on PC, and then played it AGAIN on 360! The game is that good. It just has much, MUCH more potential...and again, that is saying something!

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 7:29pm

xNightwish

xNightwish

1,560 posts

Here's one example: the physics from Oblivion were originally designed for PC, but kept crashing on 'box...so they were re-designed (dumbed down) for 'box, then used for PC as well

Do you got any proof on that, since oblivion used the Havok physics engine which was first used in Max Payne 2, so Bethesda didn't do the physics (for the most part) so I don't know where you get the information.

The only way I see Oblivion as dumbed down is the difficulty. But this wasn't for Xbox, this was to appeal the mainstream gamer.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 11:43pm

Phantom87k

Phantom87k

4 posts

MY favorite would be Oblivion, ive spent SO much money on microsoft points, for DLC, and spent way more time on that game than Oblivion, however Skyrim is amazing and i still play it to this day, however to me, Oblivion was a huge step for Bethesda's Elder Scrolls Series.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 11:45pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

WRONG! There are still Morrowind mods being made so I'd assume the same for Oblivion.

minor detail.
most mod makers move on to the next ES when 1 gets released and it got the hype of the moment so the little modders also use the latest ES.

mods made for the older TES games are done by really hard core fans i guess.

Even adding construction sets to a 5 doesn't do much.

i have to disagree from here.
PC mods are not only mods for fun. many PC mods make the game look, preform and play better then the vanilla game.

Reply to The Elder Scrolls Series

You must be logged in to post a reply!