The Elder Scrolls Series

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 10:43am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,964 posts

Knight

@HaHiHa: What do you mean by 'new-old'?

Now-old, meaning out-of-date.

All the games a quite similar but Morrowind lacked dialogue and action and the graphics were quite poor. There was no voice acting just subtitles. If you are like me then you want to know everything about the game and reading just takes even longer.

It doesn't lack dialogue at all! The dialogues are simply written text in the dialogue window that opens when you want to talk to somebody.

Also there is voice acting, simply not interactive one; it's just people saying things in your presence, or talking to you like Almalexia does.

And yes, reading takes longer, but I actually enjoy it to be able to follow the line of the discussion in my pace, the possibility of having the overview of what was already said instead of having to re-talk to people, and finally Morrowind's dialogue window, depending on who you talked to, offers the biggest topic lists I ever saw in any game. It also enables you to taunt, bribe or admire people instead of having just one speechcraft minigame, or none at all.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 12:09pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,091 posts

Morrowind lacked dialogue

WTF?
morrowind had so much deeper story then the latest 2.
you could talk whit anyone about nearly anything.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 2:38pm

ImTheMostManlyMan

ImTheMostManlyMan

2,814 posts

WTF?
morrowind had so much deeper story then the latest 2.
you could talk whit anyone about nearly anything.

I think he may or may not have meant actual talking as opposed to writing. That's kind of a good thing (I suppose, haven't played Morrowind yet) about text as opposed to voices, they can add more since there's no voice acting required.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 4:59pm

Besch

Besch

45 posts

skyrim offers better conditions to modders making more content available. Although that gave them a little excuse to be "lazy" with quest related bugs or glitches (Patch Mods were nearly the first that came out after the game) or the UI (concerning PC --> horrible way, THANK god for SkyUI).

To clink in the current topic: Yes, there are some expansion made but unluckily they dont tell stories etc... The problem with voice acting is still there as MostManlyMan said. Sadly, there is not really a statisfying method of a text to voice generator.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 5:43pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,964 posts

Knight

I think he may or may not have meant actual talking as opposed to writing. That's kind of a good thing (I suppose, haven't played Morrowind yet) about text as opposed to voices, they can add more since there's no voice acting required.

Exactly my words, see my post on end of last page. Dialogues (as in communicating with others) are much more abundant in Morrowind than in any other game, but actual speech is restricted to remarks or monologues.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 8:37pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,091 posts

skyrim offers better conditions to modders making more content available.

how so?
what can be made now that you couldn't in morrowind?
(beside the new things in the game. like editing dragons)

see my post on end of last page.

excelled point on text allowing you to follow it on your own speed.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 8:47pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

It also enables you to taunt, bribe or admire people instead of having just one speechcraft minigame, or none at all.

So does Oblivion though,

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 10:04pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,091 posts

So does Oblivion though,

oblivion is a minigame. whit a option to bribe if your speech is high enough against that character.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 12:39am

ImTheMostManlyMan

ImTheMostManlyMan

2,814 posts

Well after recent events I will likely not be getting Morrowind :( but in light of recent events I will likely be getting the elder scrolls online which looks like lots of fun :) and if I don't get ESO then I will probably get Morrowind eventually, win win really.

Is there an exact date for ESO yet?

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 6:06am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,964 posts

Knight

oblivion is a minigame. whit a option to bribe if your speech is high enough against that character.

Yep, Oblivions minigame may have different cases with different "techniques" but in the end it's all just raising someone's disposition with speechcraft. Morrowinds system was much better, as you could make use of your money if you were bad at speechcraft (still very hard and costly, but not as much as admiring), and taunting has a completely different effect since if done successfully, will make the other attack you, giving you the opportunity to kill someone without crime as you were just defending yourself. This isn't possible anymore in Oblivion or Skyrim, and I miss it.

Reply to The Elder Scrolls Series

You must be logged in to post a reply!