Forums

ForumsVideo Games

The Elder Scrolls Series

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 4:23pm

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,800 posts

From what I've heard in the past, and what I just read in this thread, I wish I had played Morrowind, but I was never a PC gamer, and I don't really have the computer to handle much gaming anyway right now. Unfortunately for me, the console I have is the one TES seems to hate, so my PS3 just frowns at me and apologizes when I have to turn it off and on again when it freezes and when the save data size increases rapidly.

Regardless, of the two I've played, I'm not sure if I could really choose. Oblivion had the Unarmed (or was it Hand to Hand?) skill, one of my favorite characters to make being a hand to hand one. The Dark Brotherhood was much more twisted, which I loved since it's only to be expected that the group of assassins is dark and twisted. I also felt as if the storyline was a little more immersive than Skyrim. Helping out the heir to the throne and saving the world from the Oblivion crisis just felt like I did more than slay a really old dragon that ended up being a complete chump. I also loved going through all the portals, though similar, always different enough to mix things up.

As for Skyrim, like is obvious, the graphics were better, giving me a more crisp experience. Slaying dragons was fun, and all of the shouts gained created even more fun. My roommate creating a Fuhrer Bradley character from FMA was also fun, using the shout that increases attack speed, as well the slow time shout at other times, coupled with the time slow while blocking a power attack made him very fun.

Before digressing too much more about specific characters, I also loved dual-wielding from Skyrim. Whether it was two melee weapons, a weapon and spell, or the traditional shield and sword that Oblivion also had, I felt like I had enough options to keep me interested. The only thing not possible was two shields, but that's just ridiculous :P The perks were also fun, though at times I felt like the number I could, even after maxing out my level, could become too limited with a broader, less specialized character.

Overall (and in no way is that all I have to say about the two games, I just don't wanna ramble and repeat myself somewhere), Oblivion had me with some quirks and storyline, but Skyrim had me with the battles, graphics, and dovahkin-related features.

If I really had to pick one, I think finisher moves would tip Skyrim towards being the winner, but both were excellent games in my opinion, even if I get no DLCs for Skyrim.

*goes and cries*

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 5:38pm

xNightwish

xNightwish

1,654 posts

If I really had to pick one, I think finisher moves would tip Skyrim towards being the winner, but both were excellent games in my opinion, even if I get no DLCs for Skyrim.

All Skyrim DLC Will come to ps3 in November and Will be 50% off in first week. To late for me to look up a English source I had it from a Dutch site.

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 6:16pm

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,800 posts

All Skyrim DLC Will come to ps3 in November and Will be 50% off in first week. To late for me to look up a English source I had it from a Dutch site.

Hey, good to know! I'll go look that up.

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 6:20pm

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,800 posts

Actually just looked it up, IGN said it was gonna be in February which is even better!

Posted Jan 18, '13 at 8:25pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

anyone thinks the dlc's are great?
i find them kinda mediocre tbh.

Posted Jan 19, '13 at 12:08am

HUA7XFan122396

HUA7XFan122396

79 posts

I scroll through here and see all this talk about Skyrim, even though Skyrim SUCKED compared to Morrowind and Oblivion. Oblivion had the best environment, Morrowind had the best gameplay, Oblivion had the best story, Morrowind had ninja stars. Skyrim has the worst story, the worst environment, the only thing that Skyrim has is cool looking magic ... and the giants and mammoths. Can't say much about Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard, Battlespire, Stormhold, Dawnstar, or Shadowkey, because I've never played them. The reason why I haven't played them is because I don't intend on ever getting a psp, I can't find a working copy of the Gameboy copy, the Dosbox version, which is the only version I know of for arena and daggerfall, doesn't have any controls so you literally can't play it. So if anyone knows a way to play any of these games contact me. And, for my favorite race and game... Race : Sload Game: Oblivion

Posted Jan 19, '13 at 12:26am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

4,625 posts

Well I do believe you can play the old elder scrolls games if you download some sort of software, you'll have to look it up.

@dragonball: it doesn't take a moderately ok gaming PC to play morrowind at max settings. I played it just fine on an integrated graphics card (meaning really sucky) except for when I went into a city in which case the frames per second suffers but as long as you look down and stay inside a building when in a city as much as possible then it's quite manageable. What's your computer's processor? That could provide some sort of clue as to what your graphics card will be like.

Posted Jan 19, '13 at 8:23am

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

Oblivion had the best story

nha morrowinds story is better.

the only thing that Skyrim has is cool looking magic

i didn't find it that special. i had to instal a mod to make it look good. xD

So if anyone knows a way to play any of these games contact me

arena and daggerfall can be played in dos. there are many free programs out there that allows you to. if 1 doesn't work then try another. and depending on your OS version you might want to put the settings of the .exe file on 95 compatible and 256 colors.

as for he other (i dont concider them real TES games, but you can always download a emulator and roms to play them.

Posted Jan 19, '13 at 5:30pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,704 posts

I scroll through here and see all this talk about Skyrim, even though Skyrim SUCKED compared to Morrowind and Oblivion.

Skyrim is a lot easier for the general public/non RPG's player. From what I've seen from the older Elder Scrolls..they are a lot more complex (hell..just look at the difference in character creation between Oblivion and Skyrim)

Then there is that 5 year gap between Oblivion and Skyrim that allows for very beautiful graphics (I mean come on...who didn't cry when they first saw an elk running through the grass? Majestic as ****)

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 2:24pm

GalaxyDefender94

GalaxyDefender94

10 posts

has anyone signed up the closed beta, i got above average chance so hopefully i get in (fingers crossed) if you signed up what chance did you get?

Reply to The Elder Scrolls Series

You must be logged in to post a reply!