Forums

ForumsVideo Games

[Necro] Do you play Terraria, Minecraft, or neither?

Thread Locked

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 11:00pm

KingCanuck25

KingCanuck25

5 posts

Minecraft is a great building game

Posted Dec 10, '12 at 1:04am

Axelya

Axelya

3 posts

I prefer Terraria, personally. For some reason Minecraft is extremely resource-intensive on my laptop, despite it being able to run Oblivion, New Vegas, and similar spec games perfectly. Minecraft is fun, but I can only get 30 minutes or so before I have to quit due to my computer going crazy.

Posted Dec 10, '12 at 7:47am

letsgome_gome

letsgome_gome

697 posts

neither cause my comp. is to slow.

Posted Dec 10, '12 at 10:36am

espadaxin2

espadaxin2

513 posts

I used to play both, but now i got bored of terraria and only play minecraft sometimes; mostly on creative mode.

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 3:04am

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

Terraria tends to be a lot harder than minecraft and Terraria has more enemies and monsters.
In Terraria it involves more monster fighting and loot seeking and you can keep your stuff if you go to another map.
MInecraft is more for building and mining
Minecraft also has a better crafting system in my opinion

Both Games are pretty pointless and have no real plot
BUt in terraria you can enable hard mode and attempt to stop the corruption

Terraria is easier to run and looks better in my opinion and it is a 2d game. It also doesnt have creepers in it.

Minecraft has the worst graphics ever and seems like a major kids game to me.

What I also hate about minecraft is its not on steam and you cant take items with you to other maps. Meaning you cant farm items from one level and bring it to the next like terraria could.
Also because minecraft uses flash it runs really slow, The more ram you have the better minecraft will run. If Mojang just used a real engine and made it so the graphics card was implemented more, than everyone on the PC could run it. My computer can run FarCry 2 and Borderlands and Left 4 Dead 2 but can barely run minecraft on high settings.  My laptop can run minecraft better than my desktop.

ON Steam I have 230 hours of gameplay on terraria
I have no idea how many hours I have on minecraft. I have played tons of maps on minecraft and I still barely ever get enough diamond to have a full set of weapons and armor. Neither game is worth all the time that has to be put in to it

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 7:40am

Besch

Besch

45 posts

Minecraft has a interesting concept but nonetheless it lost its charm after a few hours. I guess it's because I didn't play on multiplayer servers.
For real building pros it's really a cool thing, with mods especially. I tried out a few light Industrial Craft or BuildCraft and they add a lot of complexity. This on the other gives me the other reason why i stopped playing: TIME. You spend HOURS setting blocks continously but all you manage is build a house on a plateau with a few extras....

I never really liked Terraria (Minecraft Clone).

@Mr_Sand: Minecraft works and bases on Java. This means there EXISTS an engine. Moreover the modular structure of classes (Object oriented programming) allow allows immense extensions. You just extend the game by dragging new mods into the .jar file.
Minecraft runs slow yes...if you are using far sight or a high depth of detail. However this means not it was coded in a bad way but nonetheless in a good way either.

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 11:12am

dudude

dudude

2 posts

Minecraft!!

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 2:02pm

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

First off if you really played Terraria you would realize that its not a clone. Its like a side scrolling shooter. And there is barely any building in Terraria. In a sense its like an RPG. You fight monsters and bosses until you get enough resources to craft awesome weapons. You then take that and go kill skeletron and explore the dungeon. FInd some weapons there and your ready to fight the wall of flesh. Once you kill the wall of Flesh then your world enters hard mode.
You fight all new enemies and there is Corruption Spreading and Hallow spreading. You need to cleanse the corruption while finding better weapons then destroy all the hardmode equivalents of old bosses.

How does that sound like minecraft?

The only thing the 2 have in common is the same beginning weapons and digging.
Terraria has guns and crossbows and drills and chainsaws. Nothing is made out of Diamond.

And I never Said it didnt have an engine i just didnt give credit to its slow engine it has now

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 4:00pm

Besch

Besch

45 posts

@Mr_Sand: Yeah I guess you are right with it's not a clone. Terraria just caught up with the trend of Minecraft and put in a respectable part of own gameplay. Anyway, I did not want to insult the game but just say I did not play it because it is too similar in some ways regarding Minecraft. Apearrantely my statement was poorly written.

...give credit to its slow engine it has now

I Dont know about NOW. (used to try just the beta earlier that year), just thought it did run nicely (if your are not using a 256^2, 512^2 or even higher texture pack).

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 9:53pm

MummyPurge

MummyPurge

2 posts

Minecraft sometimes