ForumsWEPRThe Simpsons are Democratic?

22 9496
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Oa1G3Y7ev4Y&NR=1

Lol... I'm not at all offended as I am undecided. But generally it came from MSNBC which is hardcore democrats... Just saying ^^

• 22 Replies
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

In the episode 'Two Bad Neighbours' Bush senior moved into the house opposite the Simpsons, and there was a feud between him and Homer. But this doesn't make Homer a Democrat.
I would say that Lisa is a Democrat and the rest of the family are apolitical.
In one episode the aliens Kong and Kang took over the electoral process and offered America a choice between two candidates with exactly the same policy, bowing down and acceping the alien takeover of the world.

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I've now seen the clip and it's part of the running joke where the Simpsons make fun of Fox TV.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Handlerfan pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Lisa is definitely liberal, whereas everyone else is mostly neutral. Some of the richer characters are republican, and they make fun of that, but that's about the extent the make fun of republicans. Other than that, they constantly attack FOX news.

I haven't seen the show in quite some time, so I can't really remember how often they delved into politics. However, I never really felt like they were pushing an agenda, except for hating FOX.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

They had an episode where Homer voted for Obama, but the machine recorded a dozen votes for McCain. No prizes for guessing what's his political stance.

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

^Then this round of elections they made one where Homer votes for Romney and is rewarded by seeing his tax returns.

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

Fact followed fiction in the 2012 election where a voting machine recorded a vote for Romney everytime a woman voted for Obama.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

what a drag on nothing...
i though this topic would die in 2 or 3 posts.

homer is this or that doesn't say ****.
com on, it's a cartoon dammit.

a character in alfred J. Duck (child serie) is a nazi. a entire movie is about him. no1 even cares for that. what is it whit the hype over homer?
american dad is a republican. lets build a hype over that.... -.-'

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

american dad is a republican. lets build a hype over that.... -.-'

American Dad is actually satire about Republicanism...like Stephen Colbert
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Funny thing about American Dad and Family Guy.

Family Guy started off as being a regular comedy show with only the occasional political gag. American Dad started off as a comedy show based on politics. Now, it seems the roles have been reversed. Later Family Guy episodes seem to revolve more around politics, where American Dad now has very little to do with politics. At least, that's what it seems.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

American Dad is actually satire about Republicanism

republican non the less right?

anyway, point is: it's a cartoon dont get on high heels over a cartoon show -.-'
cartoons are not supposed to be serious.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

anyway, point is: it's a cartoon dont get on high heels over a cartoon show -.-'
cartoons are not supposed to be serious.

Some cartoons have serious messages behind them. All satire, no matter how exaggerated, does have a pinch of thought behind it.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

What I enjoy about The Simpsons is that the show is such a wonderful satire on so many different levels. One of the things that make the show unique is that it mocks everything and anything, including itself.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of Family Guy, because it's Seth MacFarlane and his comedy style just never worked for me. He's crass, which can work, but there should be some thought behind why it's crass. Don't do something for the sake of doing something. And that's the difference here, Family Guy is not as intelligent as the Simpsons was at it's height. I'll admit The Simpsons hasn't been as top notch in recent years, but it's been twenty years, so I'll cut the show slack.

I would agree that Family Guy has become more political, but I doubt it's pushing one agenda or the other. The Simpsons has usually always made political jokes, but they've never taken a side.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

republican non the less right?

I would disagree..it is using Republican to make fun of republican..so it is a democratic show with the guileful mask of republican
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

They make fun of everyone. Not just the Republicans. It's political satire without allegiance.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Some cartoons have serious messages behind them. All satire, no matter how exaggerated, does have a pinch of thought behind it.

thats what makes them funny. however it's still a cartoon and should not be taken seriously.

I would disagree..it is using Republican to make fun of republican..so it is a democratic show with the guileful mask of republican

and?
the point is he is republican. build a hype over it.
the same as you builded a hype over homer.
either way it's just stupid to go on. i'm out.
have fun taking homer serious.
i hope they are going to make a episode about this. that people are going to take homer serious and that his mind has influens over the real life politics.
showing everyone how stupid this topic is.
Showing 1-15 of 22