Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

The Simpsons are Democratic?

Posted Dec 10, '12 at 8:58pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

American Dad is actually satire about Republicanism

republican non the less right?

anyway, point is: it's a cartoon dont get on high heels over a cartoon show -.-'
cartoons are not supposed to be serious.

Posted Dec 10, '12 at 11:24pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,164 posts

Knight

anyway, point is: it's a cartoon dont get on high heels over a cartoon show -.-'

Some cartoons have serious messages behind them. All satire, no matter how exaggerated, does have a pinch of thought behind it.

Posted Dec 10, '12 at 11:45pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

What I enjoy about The Simpsons is that the show is such a wonderful satire on so many different levels. One of the things that make the show unique is that it mocks everything and anything, including itself.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of Family Guy, because it's Seth MacFarlane and his comedy style just never worked for me. He's crass, which can work, but there should be some thought behind why it's crass. Don't do something for the sake of doing something. And that's the difference here, Family Guy is not as intelligent as the Simpsons was at it's height. I'll admit The Simpsons hasn't been as top notch in recent years, but it's been twenty years, so I'll cut the show slack.

I would agree that Family Guy has become more political, but I doubt it's pushing one agenda or the other. The Simpsons has usually always made political jokes, but they've never taken a side.

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 3:27am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

republican non the less right?

I would disagree..it is using Republican to make fun of republican..so it is a democratic show with the guileful mask of republican

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 3:36am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,164 posts

Knight

They make fun of everyone. Not just the Republicans. It's political satire without allegiance.

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 6:31am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

Some cartoons have serious messages behind them. All satire, no matter how exaggerated, does have a pinch of thought behind it.

thats what makes them funny. however it's still a cartoon and should not be taken seriously.

I would disagree..it is using Republican to make fun of republican..so it is a democratic show with the guileful mask of republican

and?
the point is he is republican. build a hype over it.
the same as you builded a hype over homer.
either way it's just stupid to go on. i'm out.
have fun taking homer serious.
i hope they are going to make a episode about this. that people are going to take homer serious and that his mind has influens over the real life politics.
showing everyone how stupid this topic is.

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 10:01am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,164 posts

Knight

The cartoon shouldn't but the political issues that give rise to them should. And if even cartoons do so, reaching out to millions, then it is serious.

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 5:19pm

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,915 posts

alfred was actually a very serious cartoon. i get the feeling that people use comedy to talk or show their political stance because if they did it any other way people would start judging. humor is a very good defense.

btw. i LOVED alfred :3 still is aired in israel and still watch it sometimes.

anyway what i was trying to say is that when a person talks about politics in a serious way many people start feeling uncomfortable and defensive. those cartoons are a way to talk about it in a not serious way but it still talks about something important. true, going balistics because HOMER is a democrat or whatever is a waste of time (after all, tv show developers also have political opinions and politics is a great way to make fun of humanity) but the main idea behind the humour is something to talk about

Posted Dec 11, '12 at 11:57pm

SwordmasterQ

SwordmasterQ

23 posts

The sad thing is not that people are arguing about the political opinions of CARTOONS, but that the politics are more like cartoons than the actual cartoons are.

Posted Dec 12, '12 at 12:02am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,164 posts

Knight

The sad thing is not that people are arguing about the political opinions of CARTOONS, but that the politics are more like cartoons than the actual cartoons are.

The majority of people treat politics with little regard, and casually dismiss everything with a cynicism that would make hardcore misanthropes blush. If you're not willing to be bothered with politics, then how do you expect politicians to treat you seriously?

Reply to The Simpsons are Democratic?

You must be logged in to post a reply!