ForumsThe TavernSpelling bee

22 4883
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Killersup's school has a spelling bee every year. They have a written exam then the second round which is the one where the contestants stand in front of the school and spell. Around twenty people are chosen from the two hundred entries. Most years if three out of the twenty-five words are spelt wrong then you're out. Its not a certain score, you just have to score higher than other people. Killersup got a 44% on the written test and was still chosen for the spelling bee, and totally not procrastinating at all but how should he prepare? Its tomorrow morning...

• 22 Replies
JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
171 posts
Nomad

how should he prepare?
Just study hard tonight and thats all I can think of. I won my 6th grade class spelling be a couple years back and I went into the school spelling bee. Try your best!GOOD LUCK!
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Having won every school spelling bee I was eligible for and second place at county during seventh grade (first place went to nationals), I can only say that the "best" spellers were the ones who had an innate sense of how to spell, having seen thousands of words beyond the standards for their grade levels. And then there was the "best of the best," who could use word etymologies to help them figure out unfamiliar words, a level which I never particularly cared for.

With only 44% on the written, your best hope is to restudy the words you missed and look up Scripps spelling bee handbooks. However, does this spelling bee really mean anything to you? Sorry, but judging by your written score, you probably won't win unless that test was a fluke.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Usually, people who read a lot are able to spell quite decently.
When I was about 9 or 10, I think I was 3rd/4th best at reading comprehensions, spelling, and whatnot in Ireland.

But; I don't really bother too much with reading anymore so I'd probably be much lower than, now.

To practice, the best thing you could actually be doing is reading, all year 'round, particularly books ahead of your years.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

With only 44% on the written, your best hope is to restudy the words you missed and look up Scripps spelling bee handbooks. However, does this spelling bee really mean anything to you? Sorry, but judging by your written score, you probably won't win unless that test was a fluke.

Remember though, Killersup didn't have to do great, he just had to do better then everybody else. 44% means that nobody else was very high either...
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

But, if you want to win, only getting 44% right isn't good.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Well that went horribly. There were thirty contestants. They would give easier words first then harder words as they went on. Killersup went up the first time and looked into the 550+ students...and forgot how to spell beginning...Killersup was the first student out too...

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

That sucks, mate.
Stage fright, I guess?

There's always next year...

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

There's always next year...

Killersup will (hopefully) be going to the high school next year. The high school to Killersup's knowledge does not have a spelling bee...
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I cannot spell. I was pretty good a geography though when I was young. So I cannot really help you.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

A huge problem with alot of people was that the people who said the words had accents. Even just a slight understanding would sent the speller way off of the actual word...

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Killersup will (hopefully) be going to the high school next year. The high school to Killersup's knowledge does not have a spelling bee...

Yeah, high schools don't orchestrate spelling bees, because the Scripps National Spelling Bee only grants eligibility to 6th to 8th graders.

A huge problem with alot of people was that the people who said the words had accents.

I've run into this problem a few times, but this is partially why definitions are given.
collimore
collimore
45 posts
Peasant

Same thing happened to me... I went to state a couple years back and got out first round...I just couldn't think. I still cringe when I think about it.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I've participated in two spelling bees and one one of them. One was for my elementary school, which I lost because of nerves. I ended up spelling "concentration" without the first N. The other was in 7th grade and I won fairly easily. I often correct my teachers' spelling.

Enough bragging.

I think you should just start reading some nonfiction and adult fiction in general. Nonfiction will, most likely, have some of those science-ish words that no one knows or cares about, but they end up putting in the spelling bee anyway. Adult fiction, such as John Grisham, may have some harder vocabulary words with up-to-date spellings. It is probably also important to learn about origins of words and especially Latin vowel sounds. Latin is the main language that English and other romance languages come from. Not that English is a romance language...

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I often correct my teachers' spelling.

I find people that do that considerably annoying.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

I often correct my teachers' spelling.

I find people that do that considerably annoying.

One time Killersup tried doing that, not only did he get a 15 minute lecture on respect, but he also got the word wrong anyway. XD
Showing 1-15 of 22