ForumsThe TavernShould marching band be considered a sport?

16 5056
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Coming from someone who has had two bandies in their family, the big question looms: Is marching band a sport? I myself play soccer (herp derp) and my brother does cross country, but both of my sisters have done/do marching band. My brother and I both believe it isn't; my sisters believe it is. It seems to me that most people who do marching band believe it is the most intense sport in the world and most people who don't do it believe it's a non-sport for weenies. Or they just believe the actions done in marching band don't qualify as sport-like. But I want your opinion. What do you think?

• 16 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

No, I've been in a fife and drum core which is close enough and I'd just say no because it's not exactly competitive. There are also no teams, no scoring so you would have to do quite a bit to it for it to be anywhere close to a sport.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I'd say no because bands don't have special types of balls and it doesn't include running(it would be caohs if it had running).

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I'll say it is. It takes skill, and you have to work with a team. I don't know how much athleticism it takes, but you do have to lug heavy equipment around for awhile.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I never understood why people get riled up by a word like "sport." Does it really matter if whatever you do (marching band, cheer leading, etc.) is considered a sport or not? If you like doing it, keep on going and forget what others think. Are you really going to derive some sort of satisfaction in convincing people your activity is a sport?

collimore
collimore
45 posts
Peasant

I don't think it should be considered a sport but I've done it before and can appreciate how hard it is. Marching and playing is not as easy as it looks... But saying it's a sport is kinda overdoing it. I play sports too and wouldn't consider it one of them.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Definetly not. Walking doesn't classify something as a sport lol.
But know. It's not really physical like (most) sports...

zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

Well there are a whole bunch of less sport like sports considered a sport, so really it only matters if people think it is. Judging by the responses I'd say no.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

I never understood why people get riled up by a word like "sport." Does it really matter if whatever you do (marching band, cheer leading, etc.) is considered a sport or not? If you like doing it, keep on going and forget what others think. Are you really going to derive some sort of satisfaction in convincing people your activity is a sport?

It's not about "deriving satisfaction" from it. It's about it being considered a sport so it can be aired on sports channels or even have tournaments for it.

Also, no one can say it's not a sport because it's not physical, there's many sports that don't require someone to be athletic. Like golf and professional shooting or whatever you call it =P
RawrMan57
RawrMan57
14 posts
Nomad

I would say no, it is not.
It is about as much a sport as chess.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I really don't think Golf should be considered a sport either but that's another discussion altogether.

And yes, I do think some amount of athletic ability needs to be factored in the equation.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Not really a sport...it is a side-sport. One that is alot less frequent, and in today's society is not &quothysical" enough to be a "real sport"

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

It's not about "deriving satisfaction" from it. It's about it being considered a sport so it can be aired on sports channels or even have tournaments for it.

I'm talking about people in general though, not professionals. People who wouldn't be good enough to be on TV anyway. And you can have tournaments, competitions, etc. for anything. Society does not consider playing the piano a sport, but there are still plenty of opportunities to test your talent and hard work against others. It seems like people feel better about themselves when they're convinced they play a sport and others don't, and that's something I cannot understand.
letsgome_gome
letsgome_gome
752 posts
Nomad

yes because you march for a long time with extra weight, and no because it is not athletic ability to create noise.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Marching bands are srs business.

Also, everything that you don't know and have not tried seems so easy...and then you try it...

I'd say it is a sport but not a traditional sport that people would watch because of the lack of competitive nature.

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I think that marching band is more performing art than sport. It;s more about entertainment than a sport which is about achieving the aims of the game better than the competition.

Showing 1-15 of 16