ForumsThe TavernWho cares about their heritage?

11 2698
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

In this modern age, when everything is about technology and the future, does anyone care about their past and where they came from? In my opinion, the people of my generation don't.

I guess I'm an odd individual. I love the arts, I love cartoons and anime, I love fantasy and sci-fi; but I'm also a Southerner at heart, who loves to fish, hunt, and watch NASCAR (yes, I've been called a hippie and a redneck). I also love my Southern heritage. I come from a family of dirt poor farmers. I had several ancestors in the Civil War. And I would love to know what countries my family came from.

I'm very proud of my family and it's heritage. How about yall? Or does it just not matter?

• 11 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

except for holidays i really dont care about my heritage that much. i care and am proud about what i am but its more important to look to the future and WHO a person is. i wont let my heritage/religion/whatever bound me.

for example, when a person told me that he likes me because im jewish it didnt make me proud or happy in any way. it was just as stupid as hating me for the same reason. so yes, in a way heritage isnt that important

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I love my southern roots, too. However, I don't do all the hunting and stuff. I do love the food, though. Basically, if you fry it or it's greasy, then it's good. I still like other kinds of food, but I love my grandma's cooking.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I'm not really too bothered about where I came from or what my ancestor's did, I see no reason why I should reflect back onto something/someone I've never known.
I am interested in what my grandparents did though, because I know them otherwise everything else just sounds like a story to me.

Balloon__Girl
Balloon__Girl
213 posts
Shepherd

I definitely care about my heritage. My father is from a very specific area in this lovely country of mine and I know I have some pretty special ancestors from that area. My mother's side of the family is all from the Netheralnds so my house has many tulips in the summer, lots of delph blue stuff. Orange is incorporated into any an every family event, my family celebrates Dutch Christmas. I would really like to learn dutch and perhaps stay in the Netherlands in order to do so.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I love my heritage. I am European and Asian so I can cover as a lot of stuff ^^

JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
171 posts
Nomad

I love my heritage too!I'm Asian so there is a lot there haha. I do live in the U.S though, but I'm guaranteed I'm going to take a trip back sometime.

Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

I definitely care about my heritage! One of my favorite things too do is learn about or look at old things. So my heritage falls into that category.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I've been called a hippie

......You're not a hippie. The hippie culture wasn't solely concentrated in the South, and they're totally different people.

I care. Chinese and all. Important.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I've been called a hippie for having a long beard and for having 3 ft long hair (used too), and for my other interests that aren't considered normal for a 'good ol'boy'. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

Major101
Major101
26 posts
Farmer

Interesting topic. My family blood is somewhat, well, just vietnamese and there is a family secret

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I absolutely love my heritage. German...don't care that I was born and raised in the USA...I'm German

And **** am I proud...great-great-grandfather is Samuel Goldwyn (he had an affair =p family had the papers to prove it...key word there is had. Don't know what happened to 'em...thanks great-aunt..) and my great-grandfather was a Jew in Nazi Germany. Had his birth certificate forged to say he was the son of a neighbor..got drafted into the Nazi army (airforce to be specific)..didn't kill anyone, in fact a majority of the time he and his buds would shoot wine barrels and drink from 'em...was captured by American forces where he spent time in a POW camp...and then became the commander of the camp's favorite by always volunteering to do crap (got to eat the same meals the commander did because the commander would invite him to eat/hang out with him)

Showing 1-11 of 11