ForumsThe TavernChild Horror

15 2263
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

From the Dead Space music videos of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Ring Around a Rosie, to gruesome nursery rhymes, and Alma of F.E.A.R, there is nothing more horrific, yet entrancing to me than horror centred around one's childhood and a child's innocence.

Anyone else fascinated by them? Why would one be interested, or repelled by them? How is the horror created? Any other examples?

• 15 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,776 posts
Chamberlain

What I've never understood is why people thought singing about babies falling out of trees makes for a good kids night time song. I mean seriously who in the right mind decided that a good bedtime song has to have a decent amount of death/horror in it, it's kind of sick and twisted.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

All nursery rhymes are creepy. You can find 10 here Be warned though, the stories in that list are extremely disturbing. Like I will never see Arial the same way again.

I agree though, no one in their right mind would make things like that to sing to children. The people had to be insane to some extent.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

In what bedtime story did a baby fall out of a tree? Killersup doesn't remember that one...then again, he doesn't remember being told any bed time stories by parents....ever. Then again, Killersup doesn't ever remember having parents....

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,776 posts
Chamberlain

Killersup, not stories, lulabyes (or however the crap you want to spell it).

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Killersup, not stories, lulabyes (or however the crap you want to spell it).

Still, it was very screwed up. Who comes up with this stuff? Creepypasta...
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

All nursery rhymes are creepy. You can find 10 here Be warned though,

Holy crap. I've never heard of those except the Little Mermaid. Good thing i hadn't heard of them :P
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

In what bedtime story did a baby fall out of a tree?

Rock a bye baby
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

Animal cruelty - the farmer's wife CHOPS OFF THE TAILS of the three blind mice.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Guys, wrong idea. Horror that uses a child's innocence to create the scare, not horror in childhood ideas. OP wasn't clear.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I think the fear comes from, as you said, the use of the child's innocence. When we think of fearful images, we are more likely to imagine something grotesque or horrific...but the idea of a child, young and innocent, isn't one that comes to mind. Then, a child is used in a way to create a scare, and it scares us even more because it is the embodiment of innocence that has been corrupted, has been turn into horror

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i mentioned it in the horror games thread. rule of rose is all about a childs innocense. its has a very complicated story but thats actually a good thing. everything about that game is about children. it really shows how innocense doesnt neccesairly mean good.

the gameplay is horibble though. not as bad as most reviews say but still horibble. i still would recomend it for anybody who wants a good interesting story and ESPACIALLY if you want something so specific like horror that uses a childs innocence (i think i spelled that word differently like 3 times already :S)

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

It creeps me out when a little kid is singing a song and have no idea that it is talking about something horrible. Even worse is when you remember singing that song. There are some nursery rhythms like that too. And urban legends like slender man and bloodly mary told by little kids creeps me out too. Not because they scary but because of how unscary looking the kids are. It's like they're so unaware what the songs or rhythms means.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Slender man isn't an urban legend, he was made up not too long ago. They're all made up, but Slender was really obvious so to speak.

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

Are we talking about The Lord of the Flies where a gang of boys gets stranded on a desert island and horrible things happen, or the MIdwitch Cuckoos where a number of women are impregnated by aliens overnight and the children are very frightening, or the Omen, where the son of the US ambassador is not as innocent as a child is expected to be.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The Omen kind of horror.

Showing 1-15 of 15