Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Mall shooting in Oregon

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 11:21pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,121 posts

Knight

I've always found the UK fascinating. 0.22 deaths by guns per 100,000 people, and despite not arming policemen (at least not in NI), there have only been 3 police fatalities due to gunshot wounds in the past ten years.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 11:26pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

and despite not arming policemen

there are different classes of policemen in the uk.
some do have weapons.

btw where you got these numbers from? and are these 2012 numbers or 2011?

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 11:36pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,121 posts

Knight

there are different classes of policemen in the uk.
some do have weapons.

Most don't. They can, but most don't, and the public supports that. They do use them in NI where it's much more dangerous though.

The net. The figures are from 2000 to 2011 I think.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 11:51pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

Most don't.

some do. =)

anyway... the net?
i hope you dont mean the i-net.. =P (but a more specific url)

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 11:54pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,060 posts

Knight

It's not just the guns, The culture of violence is a good part of it.
It's easier to reach for your gun during an argument situation, marital trouble, annoying neighbors, etc. Don't get me wrong, USA is a great country and I know lots of good people but I think it's seriously time to update some laws because the mentalities have changed, times are different, and the population is also different.
Not that long ago jobs were easy to find but not anymore so the priorities are more toward creating jobs so that people have their dignity back and some money spending power to make the economy roll.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 12:34am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

2,963 posts

Stig(SSTG), it's not a violence culture, that's just a wrong steriotype, most everyone I know has several guns or more or supports guns and I'd trust most of hem with my life. It's like with Pitbulls, we're being told that we're all violent criminals when we just want to have fun shooting or want to protect ourselves. Yes there will those who will abuse them, but they'd still be just as violent and maybe even more deadly without them (bombs of course). No it's not all that hard to believe that someone can make a bomb, it's been done before and it can be done again. Crazy as it may sound, as bad as these shootings have been, these insidences (for lack of a better word) could have potentially been many times worse if they didn't have guns and were forced to improvise.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 12:55am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,121 posts

Knight

Stig(SSTG), it's not a violence culture, that's just a wrong steriotype, most everyone I know has several guns or more or supports guns and I'd trust most of hem with my life. It's like with Pitbulls, we're being told that we're all violent criminals when we just want to have fun shooting or want to protect ourselves. Yes there will those who will abuse them, but they'd still be just as violent and maybe even more deadly without them (bombs of course). No it's not all that hard to believe that someone can make a bomb, it's been done before and it can be done again. Crazy as it may sound, as bad as these shootings have been, these insidences (for lack of a better word) could have potentially been many times worse if they didn't have guns and were forced to improvise.

No one pulled out a gun and shot him in this case. As in so many others.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 1:41am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,984 posts

doesn't seem to me that the government cares that they will by-pass the 17trillion mark. it will probably go up to 19 maybe 20 trillion

But the people are starting to care. Public opinion is starting to hold more weight.

there have only been 3 police fatalities due to gunshot wounds in the past ten years.

How many due to blades?

(dunno how big your "local" is))

Police are by town/city
Sheriff is by county
State Trooper is by state
US Marshall is federal

or can, lets say..... florida go bankrupt whitout the rest?

Technically yes, each state has it's own debts that it owes to the federal level or to other states, but the federal government currently claims the debt of the states to the foreign creditors. It's kind of like if your parents let you use their credit card, but you have to pay them back so they can pay it off.

No one pulled out a gun and shot him in this case. As in so many others.

Which case are you referring to? Mall or school? Or both? If you mean a legally carrying citizen didn't stop the shooters, guns are banned in elementary schools and malls. It wouldn't be legal for them to do so.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 1:54am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,121 posts

Knight

But the people are starting to care. Public opinion is starting to hold more weight.

Ask how many people would like to cut down on military spending (Reps), or welfare programs (Dems), and see the look of horror. If the people themselves can't even control their own spending (permanent trade deficit), it would be sheer hypocrisy. The country has been gushing money for decades, yet no one cared. No one cared during the wars, no one cared during the dot com bubble burst. People say they want a reduction on the budget, but they don't want a Europe style austerity drive. Choose.

Which case are you referring to? Mall or school? Or both? If you mean a legally carrying citizen didn't stop the shooters, guns are banned in elementary schools and malls. It wouldn't be legal for them to do so.

Which renders Manlyman's point about self defense null.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 2:01am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,984 posts

Which renders Manlyman's point about self defense null.

Not necessarily. If the location restrictions were lessened, CC/OC permitted citizens would be in the places where mass shootings occur. Laws don't restrict criminals, just the law-abiding citizens.

Reply to Mall shooting in Oregon

You must be logged in to post a reply!