Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Mall shooting in Oregon

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 4:04am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,948 posts

Knight

You do realize that there is a background check on every legal sell of a firearm when the person buys it right?

How does that help? Many shootings and murders are done by inconspicuous people that lose it. Also, once you acquired a firearm, you can resell it to anyone as far as I know.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 9:05am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,971 posts

Also, once you acquired a firearm, you can resell it to anyone as far as I know.

That varies by state. Private sales cannot be done for people in other states unless the license has been transfered previously. Online sales or sales through commission require background checks, as it's not considered a private sale. Often, states require the seller to contact the authorities and give information about the sale in case it's used in crimes.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 11:13am

FireflyIV

FireflyIV

3,290 posts

Glad to hear that some of you guys sound disgusted to even think about the United States. Like it is all of America's fault that there are a random killing spree. How would you prefer America does it? Stick everybody to chains and completely order them how their lives will go?

It's not about how we outsiders would prefer it, but you have to understand that when you are raised in a country where guns are illegal, the dogedness with which Americans seem to defend ther right to arm themselves strikes an odd tone.

I'm sorry if this is construed as derailing the thread away from the Mall shooting, but given the even greater tradgedy that's just occured, I'm sure you won't mind answering some of my queuries.

I read this article recently and it made me wonder, what would it take to make Americans start to change their mind about the 2nd amendment? The Whitehouse press secretary Jay Carney said ''today is not the day to talk about gun control.'' If not in the wake of such a massacre, then when? And note the language he uses. The issue isn't even on the agenda. Shouldn't the relatively high number of homicides in the US, combined with these all too frequent killing sprees at least warrant some sort of discussion?

I'm sure you can surmise my personal views on gun policy, but I would simply like to know the thought process that is behind this wall of silence.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 12:05pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,760 posts

Knight

If not in the wake of such a massacre, then when? And note the language he uses. The issue isn't even on the agenda. Shouldn't the relatively high number of homicides in the US, combined with these all too frequent killing sprees at least warrant some sort of discussion?

That's because congressmen are intimidated by the gun loving cowards who gang up on them, so they prefer to avoid talking about it by fear of being shot by some redneck  NRA fanatics.

For example in the other thread now blocked
AatosLiukkonen aka Elmer Fudd said:

The weapon was purchased legally by one of the victims. Unless you can predict the future, punishing victims for the crimes of assailants is stupid.

Do you see how nonsensical this comment was?
The victim is not being punished, she's already dead at the end of her deranged gun loving son. I never said she deserved to die for buying a murdering weapon but apparently her sicko son thought so.
They always twist our words so they can defend their obsolete and pathetic way of life.
The only way we can achieve anything is by pressuring our congressman to render the NRA illegal and declare it a  terrorist organization.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 2:52pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,948 posts

Knight

20 some people killed in a vehicle pile-up on a Chinese hiway...
Time to ban autos.

I love how some people try to play it all down by making inconclusive comparisons...
1) Accident =/= murder
2) Private transportation are an integer part of our modern society. We could live well without private guns however.
3) Literally everything has certain risks, so let's ban everything

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 3:14pm

ImTheMostManlyMan

ImTheMostManlyMan

2,809 posts

Another gun loving sick **** murdered innocent people and this time there's many kids dead.  Great job America, just let the pawn shops sell guns to anybody and it'll keep happening. We need to call our congressmen and bring down the NRA first, then ban all the ****ing guns for good!

Wow. If you were there would you be wishing for more gun control or would you be wishing that you had a gun? There would be fewer shootings with more guns and the shootings that did happen would be shorter because people would actually be able to defend themselves and not hope that a police man with a gun is there and alive.

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'donell fat!

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 3:23pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,948 posts

Knight

Wow. If you were there would you be wishing for more gun control or would you be wishing that you had a gun? There would be fewer shootings with more guns and the shootings that did happen would be shorter because people would actually be able to defend themselves and not hope that a police man with a gun is there and alive.

Dude. You cannot arm teenies with guns. You just can't. Maybe the possibility should be checked that teachers are encouraged by the school to get a gun license, and order a standard gun model for all teachers in the school as a part of their functions. But the fact that the mother of the Connecticut murderer, a private person, had a gun collection certainly didn't help at all.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 4:08pm

ImTheMostManlyMan

ImTheMostManlyMan

2,809 posts

Alright fine fine, this is different since it's at a kindergarten school (even though I thought this was about a mall shooting) but in general more guns could prove quite helpful. If you take away guns (assuming that muderers would give them up because of some law) then they'd improvise. It's even been done in prison by the prisoners.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 4:23pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,948 posts

Knight

Still, if you arm just a few persons, for example in the mall, in the context of their function, you don't need to have private persons walking around with guns. Private persons having access to guns increase the availability also to criminals that might get them from civilian contacts (easier than to go to black market I guess) and decrease the threshold for those people previously without incidences typical for shooting perpetrators, that might decide to go on a killing spree instead of stabbing the person they want to kill anyway.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 5:13pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,760 posts

Knight

Those gun lovers are an insult to modern civilization. And they wonder why the rest of the World laugh at them. Of course, they don't care about the rest of the World, to them it's just an other opportunity for an aggression.
Those rednecks need a good reality check and I'm happy to provide it to them for free.
BTW, the English invaders are all gone now so maybe it's time to update the Constitution and remove the obsolete gun amendment.
Oh wait, don't, I forgot about those British actors. xD

Reply to Mall shooting in Oregon

You must be logged in to post a reply!