Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Anyone else feel this way?

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 7:54pm

BurnKush420

BurnKush420

102 posts

When somebody kills some kids on Connecticut, everybody weeps. When a bomber in Afghanistan blows up 60 people, nobody gives a ****.

hate to admit it but yeah thats pretty true

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 8:26pm

FireflyIV

FireflyIV

3,290 posts

Many of these events could be inspired by other ones.

Do you not think that the ease of availability of firearms plays a factor. I mean, do you not think we have nutters here in Europe? We do, but thankfully lacking access to lethal weapons lessens the damage they can do.

humans are a violent species, that's a fact, so why is everyone so shocked by violence?

Humans are in the grand scheme of things very sociable animals due to our intelligence and ability to communicate with one another. We're no saints, but I'd like to know the last time someone saw vultures negotiating over a dead corpse. People use violence to further their own ends, but psychotic killings are still shocking because they are precisely that, and I think implying people who are shocked by this are somehow fooling themselves seems like an unnecessarily grim position to take.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 9:30pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,012 posts

When somebody kills some kids on Connecticut, everybody weeps. When a bomber in Afghanistan blows up 60 people, nobody gives a ****.

Yeah. Meanwhile in Syria, their gov't is firing missiles at it's own people. Over a hundred were killed after a single day of violence, 15 were kids. 40K-50K total civilians in under 2 years.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 9:37pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,177 posts

Knight

You naturally care more about your own people. Duh. It's much closer to home, and to your own life.

Posted Dec 15, '12 at 9:44pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

Yeah. Meanwhile in Syria, their gov't is firing missiles at it's own people. Over a hundred were killed after a single day of violence, 15 were kids. 40K-50K total civilians in under 2 years.

on the news for 2 year. people lose interest in that time.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 12:29am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,715 posts

This reminds me of the scene in Hotel Rwanda where the news reporter made a statement of how people will see this on their TVs and say "wow that is terrible"...then go on and eat their TV dinners

You naturally care more about your own people. Duh. It's much closer to home, and to your own life.

But then we have an instance like near my area of living...many black people are killed often due to gang violence...but a white girl is killed and the mayor holds a press conference about how violence/gang violence needs to be cracked down on

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 2:21am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,177 posts

Knight

But then we have an instance like near my area of living...many black people are killed often due to gang violence...but a white girl is killed and the mayor holds a press conference about how violence/gang violence needs to be cracked down on

Statement still holds through, though explanation will be withheld in the name of racial harmony.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 3:27am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Death is an everyday occurrence.

But much of the rich population is white, and they are the ones receiving the news. Face it, if you are like a group of people you are more likely to get worried if one of them was killed than if you heard about the death of a different kind of people.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 8:19am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

being rich has nothing to do whit it.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 10:42am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

being rich has nothing to do whit it.

Being white does, being part of a group does, having an event on the same group does. Did you even read the full post?

Reply to Anyone else feel this way?

You must be logged in to post a reply!