ForumsWEPRHypocrisy

9 2420
EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

There are hypocrites out in the world that say things that they don't know or posses by me saying this means some people just want to be pretenders.

Do you think its a good thing or bad thing.

• 9 Replies
eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

How can hypocrisy be a good thing?? Well take that back, a parent being hypocritical with their children might be a good thing as long as the children is clueless to the truth. that way the child might learn something that the parent didn't learn soon enough. (IE: smoking or swearing).

Other than that, i can't really think of any time hypocrisy would be a good thing...but you are right its alll around us alllll the time.

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

bad obviously.. all it does is create a false sense of hope for some people, a distrust for humanity for other people and horrible role models for others..

but in today's time almost no one says what they are actually going to do....

remember its easier to do something and ask for forgiveness than it is to ask before hand..

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

Ya, it's a bad thing, but we've probably all been hypocritical before. I would say it's a bad thing, but something that's difficult to actively avoid.

bobert
bobert
176 posts
Nomad

eyetwitch is right. hipocrisy is a bad thing unless it is helping better the future of someone i.e. children

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

It is of course a bad thing to do, but like eyetwitch said, parents do it to teach a lesson to their offspring. Telling them to never swear or lie is pretty hypocritical since, I would guesstimate that everyone has cursed and lied.

In modern day, being hypocritical is almost normal to alot of people. It is pretty much compared to lying, but sometimes it can help (that "help" is very limited!)

I guess this is more of a one-sided thread which I kind of like to avvoid, but this one can arouse many stances.

bobert
bobert
176 posts
Nomad

But isn't having a lot of stances a good thing? Although it can cause arguing, thats what i see this forum is about, debating over real-world topics.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hypocrisy as a practice serves to weaken your argument if somebody calls you on it- it's a fallacious approach but can still turn the tides of opinion.

Playing devil's advocate isn't exactly hypocrisy, though deliberate admissions of 'hypocrisy' (while not necessarily being guilty of hypocrisy itself), or at least some moral failure can be a useful step to transcending the natures of moral argument.

e.g. 'I believe it is a moral wrong to kill another living being.' 'So what about eating meat, or going to war?' 'Well, I'm not perfect but we can give due respect!'

Overstated moral stances can be counterproductive. Keeping in mind the intricacies of real-world application keeps things, well, real.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Is it hypocritical for an alcoholic to tell people not to binge drink, or a drug addict to tell people to stay away from drugs? When I smoked 2 packs a day, I told people not to smoke because I knew how bad it was destroying me. I don't think I was being hypocritical. I could tell people what it's like and how terrible it was because I was actually doing it. But I have quit since then

Other situations are very different though. One of my former friends was a champion of good morals. He refused to associate with people who drank, did drugs, or who were promiscuous. All of a sudden he made out with his best friend's girlfriend. He blamed the "lack of sleep" and refused to take responsibility and did not apologize at all. That hypocrisy is bad.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

@bobert. I did mean to say that it is a good idea to have many stances. I said, "but," to state that I thought it would be good to elaborate on the one-sided view.

Showing 1-9 of 9