Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

General MLB thread

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 1:58am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,715 posts

We could always do the league over at ESPN.com..that way it would manage the draft and roster (making it look pretty and all) for us?

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 8:09am

Cranium80

Cranium80

460 posts

I'm not really interested in talk about "star" players and contracts, not as predictors anyway. One player doesn't make a team. You can have star players dominate but the team still lose in the long run.

this is very true, case in point Jose Bautista leading the league in most offensive categories the last few years, but the Jays still finished out of the playoffs. But now that they have an all-star rotation (Romero as a #5 starter, pretty awesome!), Encarnacion has emerged as another big hitter, and guys like Lawrie and Arancibia have another year under their belt, Toronto is going to be a FAR better team this year!

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 10:54am

pickpocket

pickpocket

3,529 posts

this is very true, case in point Jose Bautista leading the league in most offensive categories the last few years, but the Jays still finished out of the playoffs.

Bautista wasnt healthy for the entire season, thankfully. So I guess you could blame it on that.... I saw that guy at the homerun derby and got a little scared.

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 11:04am

Cranium80

Cranium80

460 posts

Bautista wasnt healthy for the entire season, thankfully. So I guess you could blame it on that.... I saw that guy at the homerun derby and got a little scared.

He lead the league in HR and was top 5 in batting average and RBI the two seasons before last year. Last year he was on pace to do it all again until that injury. Bautista is a machine!

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 2:01am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,715 posts

this is very true, case in point Jose Bautista leading the league in most offensive categories the last few years, but the Jays still finished out of the playoffs

Why not use A-Rod's years with the Rangers? Would have been a much stronger point

Bautista is a machine!

But he pulls so much!! D= I'm just waiting for when pitchers finally start to realize that -_-™ they seem to always forget

Though...Bautista does give players like me hope. Pull hitter that's hitting focus is power. Now if only I didn't go to a school with heavy favoritism problems..

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 11:02am

Cranium80

Cranium80

460 posts

Why not use A-Rod's years with the Rangers? Would have been a much stronger point

I don't see how that's a stronger point. It's an equal example (minus the roid usage), but not stronger.

And as far as Bautista pulling too much, when you hit close to 150 home runs and pushing 160 RBI in the last three years, you can hit to whatever part of the park you want!

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 12:40am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,715 posts

I don't see how that's a stronger point. It's an equal example (minus the roid usage), but not stronger.

Because A-Rod was a much more dominant player..yet his team still ended up at the bottom. Not just out of the playoff

And as far as Bautista pulling too much, when you hit close to 150 home runs and pushing 160 RBI in the last three years, you can hit to whatever part of the park you want!

Us pull-hitters are not so hot with outside pitches. That is what I'm waiting for...for pitchers to finally start focusing on pitching him away (and down more as well) to neutralize his power some

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 10:38am

Cranium80

Cranium80

460 posts

Because A-Rod was a much more dominant player..yet his team still ended up at the bottom. Not just out of the playoff

I don't know that you can say that. A-Rod's best years in texas and Bautista's last three years (considering injury last year) in Toronto are pretty similar. A-Rod hit high 40's or low 50's HR, knocked in an average of about 130 RBI, and hit for roughly .300 average. Bautista's hit the same # of home runs, slightly lower number of RBI (possibly an indicator of the team around him) and hit for the same batting average. So I don't think A-Rod was any more dominant in those years

Posted Dec 24, '12 at 2:24am

greentrev106

greentrev106

170 posts

I'm a fan of the Braves. I went to go see one of their games a few years ago, they were facing the Dodgers and crush them... but i haven't been keeping up with them lately so i don't know if they're as good as they used to be.

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 1:33pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,497 posts

So, no one got into the Hall of Fame. To be honest, I find the whole thing to be rather ridiculous.

Sprint Training is getting closer!

Reply to General MLB thread

You must be logged in to post a reply!