Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gun control in the US

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 5:40am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,842 posts

Knight

Well, no, Americans aren't psychologically different than everyone else. The police can only help if they care to, they have evidence, and if they can take action before a crime is committed. If a guy storms your house with a gun, shooting him may be the only way to survive.

Also, if an elderly person is attacked, they may not have any other way to defend themselves.

I see elderly people get attacked and reported on the news daily. Either they flee, or people around call.

On the recent school shooting, as well as the theater shooting a while ago, I did not hear any gun control lobbyists seriously suggest that the cause of the shootings were mental insanity, and that guns were the tool used to facilitate the shootings, but they did not cause the shootings themselves. The anti-gun lobby makes the same mistake as the NRA in assuming that guns are a cause, rather than a means to an end.

They have always been on the periphery.

So competition target shooters, prop managers, and collectors are misusing their guns?

And how many of the 300 million guns owned by Americans are used for such purposes?

No, but it certainly makes an awfully good tool to use if you want to run someone over.

The vast majority of Americans register guns for the sake of self-defence.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 8:07am

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

Mexico, Somalia, Congo. Strong gun laws on paper. Gun traffickers are making a fortune off these countries selling illegal guns.

3 countries whit a civil war.
unless you say usa is in a civil war you can't compare it.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 12:47pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

And how many of the 300 million guns owned by Americans are used for such purposes?

How many registered guns are used for killing innocents? I guarantee that it is a ridiculously low amount.

I see elderly people get attacked and reported on the news daily. Either they flee, or people around call.

The marvelous thing about an alleyway is that it is generally disused and secluded. If you can drag someone there, voila, easy pickings.

Still, better trafficking laws are definitely needed.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 12:54pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,842 posts

Knight

How many registered guns are used for killing innocents? I guarantee that it is a ridiculously low amount.

The marvelous thing about an alleyway is that it is generally disused and secluded. If you can drag someone there, voila, easy pickings.

Stricter gun laws. Vigorous background checks. The theatre shooter was declared medically unfit, yet could still buy guns when the legal process was lax.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 12:57pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Stricter gun laws. Vigorous background checks. The theatre shooter was declared medically unfit, yet could still buy guns when the legal process was lax.

For that, you'll need a bigger, tougher, and better managed police force. Paperwork is half a job, you still have to nab the suspects. Of course, it may be better to just put more officers "on the beat" because people begin to trust an officer if he is seen regularly. They may already do this, I haven't visited America in a while.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 1:06pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,842 posts

Knight

Of course, it may be better to just put more officers "on the beat" because people begin to trust an officer if he is seen regularly.

Meh, I think they shout bacon more often than not.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 10:03pm

BurnKush420

BurnKush420

102 posts

gun control does nothing. period. if somebody is going to kill someone a silly little gun law isnt going to prevent them from accuirng a gun. they are even easier to come by illegaly

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 10:04pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,842 posts

Knight

gun control does nothing. period. if somebody is going to kill someone a silly little gun law isnt going to prevent them from accuirng a gun. they are even easier to come by illegaly

Gun control does nothing if not paired with other measures.

Look at other nations speed past the US in terms of lowering the gun homicide per capita.

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 11:15pm

rafterman

rafterman

623 posts

if somebody is going to kill someone a silly little gun law isnt going to prevent them from accuirng a gun.

"Gun control wont work instantly, so lets not try it at all"

Posted Dec 21, '12 at 11:52pm

404011xz

404011xz

218 posts

I would rather of not posted in here today since I'm trying to abide by my new rule of not going into the political section every other day. But I just figured something out and I really want to share it. So you guys are stating that the bill of rights is outdated and the right to bear arms law is outdated in it. So does that mean that the law of freedom of speech is also outdated? What about right to a jury of your peers? Maybe you would also like to discourage the ban on slavery since it was created roughly around that time. So, by stating that one law is outdated in that time period. You are stating all laws are outdated in that time period.

Reply to Gun control in the US

You must be logged in to post a reply!