ForumsWEPRGun control in the US

1089 401219
theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
807 posts
Farmer

Discuss. General Tavern rules apply. (No mudslinging, be respectful, etc.)
I'll open with the statement that people should not have guns. No one at all, except the armed forces, and even then, keep the guns on the bases. Cops should carry riot shields and armor instead of guns. If they need crowd control, use Water Cannons.
Supporting evidence: the following skit:
What's your reason?
Setting: A gun shop, modern day.
A Customer walks into the gun shop and asks the Shopkeeper, "Hi, i'd like to buy a gun please."
The Shopkeeper pulls out an application form and asks the customer "Alright, what's your reason for wanting to buy a gun?"
The Customer says "I need one for personal protection."
The Shopkeeper nods. "I have just the thing for you, I guarantee you cannot get any more personal protection than this baby right here. What i'm about to show you offers so much protection, it can stop a shotgun shell."
The customer, very interested, stares at a full-size Riot Shield, the kind the police use. He scoffs. "That's not what I want, I want a gun!"
The Shopkeeper shrugs. "Are you sure? This fine piece of equipment will protect you more than a gun ever will! It's very strong, reinforced titanium and kevlar..." by now, the angry Customer has left.
Later, another Customer enters. "Hi, I need a gun."
Again, the Shopkeeper clicks his pen and pulls out an application form. "For what reason?" he asks.
The Customer hesitates, than says "Hunting."
The shopkeeper smiles. "Of course! I love to hunt. Hunting is a wonderful sport. I guarantee that this item will give you the maximum amount of satisfaction you can ever get from hunting! Here, this is the sport at its peak." And he pulls out a Crossbow, complete with crosshairs for better accuracy.
The customer shakes his head. "No, I want a gun." he states.
The shopkeeper reluctantly puts away the Crossbow. "Are you sure? With a gun, it's so...boring, just pulling a trigger. And it's unfair to the animal, with this you give the deer a chance and have to chase it for up to an hour, just like the Native Americans did back in the day! Unless of course..." He fails to finish his sentence, as the pissed off customer has left in a huff.
Later, a third customer walks in. "Hi, I'd like to buy a gun." he says.
The shopkeeper holds his pen at the ready. "For what reason, sir?" he asks.
The customer glares. "I dont need a reason, read the god **** second amendment "THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS." It's in the constitution you idiot!
The shopkeeper merely smiles. "Of course, I have the perfect thing for you. This gun is covered under Second Amendment laws, guaranteed!" And he holds up a 200-year-old, civil-war-era musket, complete with rusty bayonet.
The customer shrieks. "No, man! I want a Glock, a shotgun, something better than that civil war crap!"
The shopkeeper merely smiles. "I'm sorry sir, please come back when they update the second amendment to include those types of guns. Here, i'll even give you a discount..." the shopkeeper holds out a discount to the enraged customer, who tears it in half and leaves.
Fourthly, another Customer walks in. "I really need a gun, now." He says.
The Shopkeeper holds his pen and application form ready. "For what reason, sir?" he asks.
Instead of stating his reason this time, the Customer snatches the application form and looks at it. There, in the spot titled "Reasons" is a circle for "other".
"Other! That's my reason!" the Customer declares triumphantly.
The shopkeeper shrugs. "Very good answer sir." he says, while pressing a button under the counter. Two cops arrive at the shop in less than a minute and cuff the Customer.
"Hey! What the *PROFANITY* ARE YOU *PROFANITY* GUYS DOING? I'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG!" He yells, almost breaking the glass of the windows.
"Actually, you have." The Shopkeeper begins. "the "other" reason, by exclusion of the other reason, can only include wanting to kill or rob someone. Therefore, you were thinking about commiting a crime when you selected "Other" as your reason. Caught you red-handed, trying to buy the tools necessary to commiting a crime. You confessed to it when you selected "Other"! Take him downtown, please." The cops nod and take the Customer away. The last thing he hears from the Shopkeeper is "Oh, and I knew it was you all those times!"

Moral of the story: You do NOT need a gun for a particular activity. In any given activity (And I challenge you to give me a valid, legal activity for which you would need to personally own a gun), there are many other options. Why buy a gun for personal protection when a Riot Shield blocks shotgun shells? Why buy a gun for hunting when the point of hunting (and every other sport) is satisfaction, and since you get more satisfaction with more challenge, and since a crossbow offers more challenge than a gun, you'll get more satisfaction with the crossbow. Why buy a gun based on the Second Amendment when the Colonial-age guns were either giant cannons or black-powder, muzzle-loading Muskets? Did the Founding Fathers have AR-15's, and SPAZ-12 shotguns,And AK 47s, not to mention all the accessories like laser scopes and hollow-point bullets? I dont think so!

The only way you can disprove my argument is to give me a valid, LEGAL activity which requires you to personally own a gun. This excludes Skeet-shooting, because the facility can and should/will provide the gun. Until anyone can do that, YOU DONT NEED A GUN, NO ONE NEEDS GUNS! They're WAY too dangerous and make it too easy to kill someone! Why have something you dont need?

• 1,089 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

he just described master. (by the reply's he made on me)

This is going to shock you. I do not own an armory. I know, strange, aint' it? That someone who supports the idea of still being able to buy a gun does not own thousands, nor takes personal pleasure in blowing things sky-high?
That doesn't work either. It's not difficult for a person with a legal one to give it to a criminal. ex: the guy who shot the firefighters received the gun from a neighbor because he wasn't able to get one.

That's certainly a possibility. But, key thing here being that the criminal could not obtain a gun himself.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

What, hillbillies can think? Now I'm amazed.

You've just insulted nearly everyone I know. I live in the land of rednecks and have no fear of getting shot. I feel quite safe where I am, there are guns everywhere they sell them at Walmart even and the gun crime is pretty low here.

You know most pistols can leave an inch deep cut in your hand if not held properly. That's a day one lesson. Would you like to explain how to hold a pistol properly? I'm curious as to what you might say.

Not even a little sure as to what this has to do with anything, but I have shot pistols before and with only a moment's instruction I could shoot it without hurting myself.

To answer previously asked question. Shooting full autos are very fun, I have once under supervision shot one and it was very enjoyable.

I heard that gun sales recently went way up in California and that the gun crimes/deaths have gone down. Can't argue with real life examples, though I know that some of you (mostly Stig) will certainly try.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

You've just insulted nearly everyone I know. I live in the land of rednecks and have no fear of getting shot. I feel quite safe where I am, there are guns everywhere they sell them at Walmart even and the gun crime is pretty low here.

I'm not the one who used the word hillbillies, I replied to partydevil's comment.
The only hillbillies I know are from the Hillbilly Hare episode of Bugs Bunny.
I'd rather use redneck instead.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

To answer previously asked question. Shooting full autos are very fun, I have once under supervision shot one and it was very enjoyable.

I heard that gun sales recently went way up in California and that the gun crimes/deaths have gone down. Can't argue with real life examples, though I know that some of you (mostly Stig) will certainly try.

Having fun has nothing to bear on the issue.

Furthermore, at the same time that gun sales have increased, FBI background checks for guns increased by 30 percent over the previous year. Gun ownership does not reduce crime, checking does. Research also indicates overwhelmingly that the same people are simply buying more guns and that there has been a sharp decline in the percentage of Americans who own guns.

Lastly, even though states with strict laws have seen high rates of gun crime, much of these guns are tracked to be bought outside these states. Gun control works, but only as far as the weakest link.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I'm not the one who used the word hillbillies, I replied to partydevil's comment.

i never said hillbillies either tbh.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

i never said hillbillies either tbh.

Oops, sorry, Salvidian said it. xD
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

Gun control works, but only as far as the weakest link.

I am in no way shape or form arguing with that, allot of them come from Mexico too I'm sure.

Having fun has nothing to bear on the issue.

It gives a reason for owning an automatic without intention of killing.
NovaScotia
NovaScotia
3 posts
Nomad

This whole argument is so stupid, if someone gets mugged in an alleyway, i guarantee that they are not gonna be hoping that a cop walks by and happens to see them, cops cant do a **** thing to prevent a crime...yay, you caught the bad guy, too bad he already killed the guy that he robbed, now he goes to jail for the rest of his life or gets executed, wow, that solved a lot, how about instead of getting both peoples lives ruined, why dont we just let the guy getting robbed keep a snub nosed .44 caliber magnum in his back pocket, then when he gets robbed, the only thing that happens is the robber getting killed, good riddance. But say the guy gets away, which they usually can do for a few days, wow that just great, now we have someone who has proven he is ready to kill people on the streets, why not just end it with the person being robbed just killing the robber, then we can just move on

NovaScotia
NovaScotia
3 posts
Nomad

[url=http://www.examiner.com/article/14-year-old-phoenix-boy-shoots-armed-intruder-while-babysitting-siblings]

exactly, its all the people that love anti gun laws that just make stories like this disappear, i never heard about this and it happened in June, but every single time someone goes on a shooting rampage, they have to make it a national freaking holiday, yes those are almost always worse, and yes i do feel really bad towards the victims and the families, but there is a point where we need to realize, having guns can stop crime a lot faster than a police force

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

exactly, its all the people that love anti gun laws that just make stories like this disappear, i never heard about this and it happened in June, but every single time someone goes on a shooting rampage, they have to make it a national freaking holiday, yes those are almost always worse, and yes i do feel really bad towards the victims and the families, but there is a point where we need to realize, having guns can stop crime a lot faster than a police force

You've been watching too many Dirty Harry movies dude.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

This whole argument is so stupid, if someone gets mugged in an alleyway, i guarantee that they are not gonna be hoping that a cop walks by and happens to see them, cops cant do a **** thing to prevent a crime...yay, you caught the bad guy, too bad he already killed the guy that he robbed, now he goes to jail for the rest of his life or gets executed, wow, that solved a lot, how about instead of getting both peoples lives ruined, why dont we just let the guy getting robbed keep a snub nosed .44 caliber magnum in his back pocket, then when he gets robbed, the only thing that happens is the robber getting killed, good riddance. But say the guy gets away, which they usually can do for a few days, wow that just great, now we have someone who has proven he is ready to kill people on the streets, why not just end it with the person being robbed just killing the robber, then we can just move on

Okay now supposed the bad guy tries to rob you in a parking lot of a bar at night and you shoot him dead. The cops show up, you explain what happened but there were not witnesses.
There's a good chance you'll get arrested then the overzealous prosecutor will call you a vigilante and you might very well end up in jail with the same scumbags you despise.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

There's a good chance you'll get arrested then the overzealous prosecutor will call you a vigilante and you might very well end up in jail with the same scumbags you despise.

There are security cameras everywhere. Try watching 'off the grid' sometime. It tells you all of the measures it takes just to go pretty much undetected, and I'm sure they don't even know nearly all of what they can use.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

Scratch that last sentence.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

There are security cameras everywhere. Try watching 'off the grid' sometime. It tells you all of the measures it takes just to go pretty much undetected, and I'm sure they don't even know nearly all of what they can use.

Well if they're cheap and didn't update their equipment, you might just see a very blurred VHS recording (same tape they've been using for 15 years).
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

Well if they're cheap and didn't update their equipment, you might just see a very blurred VHS recording (same tape they've been using for 15 years).

Even so, that would probably be enough to tell why he killed said person and if it was with sufficient reason.
Showing 286-300 of 1089