ForumsWEPRGun control in the US

1089 401224
theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
807 posts
Farmer

Discuss. General Tavern rules apply. (No mudslinging, be respectful, etc.)
I'll open with the statement that people should not have guns. No one at all, except the armed forces, and even then, keep the guns on the bases. Cops should carry riot shields and armor instead of guns. If they need crowd control, use Water Cannons.
Supporting evidence: the following skit:
What's your reason?
Setting: A gun shop, modern day.
A Customer walks into the gun shop and asks the Shopkeeper, "Hi, i'd like to buy a gun please."
The Shopkeeper pulls out an application form and asks the customer "Alright, what's your reason for wanting to buy a gun?"
The Customer says "I need one for personal protection."
The Shopkeeper nods. "I have just the thing for you, I guarantee you cannot get any more personal protection than this baby right here. What i'm about to show you offers so much protection, it can stop a shotgun shell."
The customer, very interested, stares at a full-size Riot Shield, the kind the police use. He scoffs. "That's not what I want, I want a gun!"
The Shopkeeper shrugs. "Are you sure? This fine piece of equipment will protect you more than a gun ever will! It's very strong, reinforced titanium and kevlar..." by now, the angry Customer has left.
Later, another Customer enters. "Hi, I need a gun."
Again, the Shopkeeper clicks his pen and pulls out an application form. "For what reason?" he asks.
The Customer hesitates, than says "Hunting."
The shopkeeper smiles. "Of course! I love to hunt. Hunting is a wonderful sport. I guarantee that this item will give you the maximum amount of satisfaction you can ever get from hunting! Here, this is the sport at its peak." And he pulls out a Crossbow, complete with crosshairs for better accuracy.
The customer shakes his head. "No, I want a gun." he states.
The shopkeeper reluctantly puts away the Crossbow. "Are you sure? With a gun, it's so...boring, just pulling a trigger. And it's unfair to the animal, with this you give the deer a chance and have to chase it for up to an hour, just like the Native Americans did back in the day! Unless of course..." He fails to finish his sentence, as the pissed off customer has left in a huff.
Later, a third customer walks in. "Hi, I'd like to buy a gun." he says.
The shopkeeper holds his pen at the ready. "For what reason, sir?" he asks.
The customer glares. "I dont need a reason, read the god **** second amendment "THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS." It's in the constitution you idiot!
The shopkeeper merely smiles. "Of course, I have the perfect thing for you. This gun is covered under Second Amendment laws, guaranteed!" And he holds up a 200-year-old, civil-war-era musket, complete with rusty bayonet.
The customer shrieks. "No, man! I want a Glock, a shotgun, something better than that civil war crap!"
The shopkeeper merely smiles. "I'm sorry sir, please come back when they update the second amendment to include those types of guns. Here, i'll even give you a discount..." the shopkeeper holds out a discount to the enraged customer, who tears it in half and leaves.
Fourthly, another Customer walks in. "I really need a gun, now." He says.
The Shopkeeper holds his pen and application form ready. "For what reason, sir?" he asks.
Instead of stating his reason this time, the Customer snatches the application form and looks at it. There, in the spot titled "Reasons" is a circle for "other".
"Other! That's my reason!" the Customer declares triumphantly.
The shopkeeper shrugs. "Very good answer sir." he says, while pressing a button under the counter. Two cops arrive at the shop in less than a minute and cuff the Customer.
"Hey! What the *PROFANITY* ARE YOU *PROFANITY* GUYS DOING? I'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG!" He yells, almost breaking the glass of the windows.
"Actually, you have." The Shopkeeper begins. "the "other" reason, by exclusion of the other reason, can only include wanting to kill or rob someone. Therefore, you were thinking about commiting a crime when you selected "Other" as your reason. Caught you red-handed, trying to buy the tools necessary to commiting a crime. You confessed to it when you selected "Other"! Take him downtown, please." The cops nod and take the Customer away. The last thing he hears from the Shopkeeper is "Oh, and I knew it was you all those times!"

Moral of the story: You do NOT need a gun for a particular activity. In any given activity (And I challenge you to give me a valid, legal activity for which you would need to personally own a gun), there are many other options. Why buy a gun for personal protection when a Riot Shield blocks shotgun shells? Why buy a gun for hunting when the point of hunting (and every other sport) is satisfaction, and since you get more satisfaction with more challenge, and since a crossbow offers more challenge than a gun, you'll get more satisfaction with the crossbow. Why buy a gun based on the Second Amendment when the Colonial-age guns were either giant cannons or black-powder, muzzle-loading Muskets? Did the Founding Fathers have AR-15's, and SPAZ-12 shotguns,And AK 47s, not to mention all the accessories like laser scopes and hollow-point bullets? I dont think so!

The only way you can disprove my argument is to give me a valid, LEGAL activity which requires you to personally own a gun. This excludes Skeet-shooting, because the facility can and should/will provide the gun. Until anyone can do that, YOU DONT NEED A GUN, NO ONE NEEDS GUNS! They're WAY too dangerous and make it too easy to kill someone! Why have something you dont need?

• 1,089 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

In which case, the gun is completely useless, as it wouldn't be firing anything.

insert piece of metal later? why would they do it befor and be detected when they can do it after and be undetected?

Yes, terrorists will love a sh¡tty plastic piece of junk that can fire one round that will probably miss and wouldn't be terribly powerful anyways.

ever heard of improvement of schematic's?
what now is a ****ty BB gun, is a full auto w/e in 2 year.
do you even know the power of the 3d printer? or is this the 1st time you heard of it?
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I think those idiots who created it should be thrown in jail, seriously.

outside the usa possible... for endangering society.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Yes, terrorists will love a sh¡tty plastic piece of junk that can fire one round that will probably miss and wouldn't be terribly powerful anyways.

A gun is a gun. It works, and it can kill.

Printers are only going to get cheaper, already the cheapest is around a 1000 dollars. Whilst such guns might not concern Americans, since millions of those infernal things are already circulating, I would support legislation to ban such blueprints in my country, and most other countries with strict gun laws already. Letting people have cheap access to weaponry through the click of a button is ghoulishly dangerous and menacing.

do you even know the power of the 3d printer? or is this the 1st time you heard of it?

Yup, if they can print a Stradivarius violin, the printer's technology must be pretty advanced.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

insert piece of metal later? why would they do it befor and be detected when they can do it after and be undetected?

As far as I know, we don't have plastic bullets yet.

Yup, if they can print a Stradivarius violin, the printer's technology must be pretty advanced.

There are people working on printable cars, which makes a gun seem ridiculously easy to make.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Letting people have cheap access to weaponry through the click of a button is ghoulishly dangerous and menacing.

Which is my biggest concern about all of this, along with a virtual lack of control over who's printing what.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Now that's a good use of a 3D printer.
You can't kill anybody with a violin, unless you play so bad, you might kill someone's ears. xD
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

A modified version of this coated with some supporting material(glue wax etc).
and a little bit increased power can probably kill a man.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Please don't hate on me everybody, like you always do. I just think guns are a necessary. There will always be crazy people, and whether they have guns or not, they will kill people. Self-defense and lots of recreational activities (gun ranges, hunting) require guns. Terrorists will somehow get guns, by smuggling or so, and if we don't have guns, then there will be no way to defend ourselves. The government, which should have guns, shouldn't be the only ones. They're people, just like us. I think as long as we're licensed, we should be allowed guns. I'm not hating or saying anything wrong, so i don't want anyone trolling or hating on me. (Kalic, Palpatine, Hahiha...)

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

it doesn't just print plastic. you can use almost any material in the concept.
and as punisher said. it doesn't matter what material it is made of, it matters what it does. wich is killing. (where we go back to the topic that ive made my point very clear on befor (if you wanna know check back the pages))

There are people working on printable cars, which makes a gun seem ridiculously easy to make.

1st full size houses are beining printed.

I just think guns are a necessary.

it isn't, it is only a necessary when you make it a necessary.
if it really was a necessary then how come the EU for example can do perfectly whitout guns?

The government, which should have guns, shouldn't be the only ones. They're people, just like us.

they are trained people. you are not trained to handle a gun.

Self-defense require guns.

hmm no, it does not. a gun in self-defence has a high probability of escalating the situation instead of ending it.

Terrorists will somehow get guns, by smuggling or so,

just 1 question, you call every criminal a terrorist?

I think as long as we're licensed, we should be allowed guns.

no control on who are getting a license? just happily hand out licenses for everyone who wants one? like the government has been doing for decades.
thats next to no control...
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I know that you must have not been able to play with toy guns when you were a child, or ur just a big liberal, but don't take it out here. Terrorist just means someone causing terror, so yeah, any criminal with a gun. Also, I'm a kid, so I'm not trained with guns, thanks for pointing out the obvious. Also, if a criminal has a gun and is in your house, threatening your family, I don't think taking a knife to a gunfight is a good idea. And then maybe the government should be more careful when giving out licenses, in stead of just being lazy and banning them all together.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Also, I'm a kid, so I'm not trained with guns, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

I know that you must have not been able to play with toy guns when you were a child, or ur just a big liberal

the little i know about you, the little you know about me.

Terrorist just means someone causing terror, so yeah, any criminal with a gun.

i already see the next headliner: "robber convicted for terrorism"
let's not mix up small criminals whit terrorist, oke?

Also, if a criminal has a gun and is in your house, threatening your family, I don't think taking a knife to a gunfight is a good idea.

the smartest thing is to work along whit the robber and give him whatever he wants. there is no need to "defend" yourself and end up dead.

And then maybe the government should be more careful when giving out licenses, in stead of just being lazy and banning them all together.

get yourself a bit informed and see that they dont want to ban it all together. neither does nearly anyone here have the idea to ban them all together.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I know that you must have not been able to play with toy guns when you were a child, or ur just a big liberal
Er, what? Being against guns is not a liberal stance at all. Liberalism logically encourages firearm freedom. God I hate these stupid terms.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Also, if a criminal has a gun and is in your house, threatening your family, I don't think taking a knife to a gunfight is a good idea.

Sometimes it works too well.

the smartest thing is to work along whit the robber and give him whatever he wants. there is no need to "defend" yourself and end up dead.

Not always the case. See above.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The guns use real bullets.

Please don't hate on me everybody, like you always do. I just think guns are a necessary. There will always be crazy people, and whether they have guns or not, they will kill people. Self-defense and lots of recreational activities (gun ranges, hunting) require guns.

Hunting in frontier regions yes. Self-defense? Only in America do people feel so insecure in the First World that they need guns. Western Europe, Japan, etc, they don't see the urge to utilise such tools to ensure their freedom. Irony.

Terrorists will somehow get guns, by smuggling or so, and if we don't have guns, then there will be no way to defend ourselves.

It has been statistically proven that you will more than likely be shot, compared to spared if you're unarmed.

The government, which should have guns, shouldn't be the only ones. They're people, just like us. I think as long as we're licensed, we should be allowed guns. I'm not hating or saying anything wrong, so i don't want anyone trolling or hating on me. (Kalic, Palpatine, Hahiha...)

Rebutting is not the same as trolling. That's just a cheap way of saying our arguments are invalid. Furthermore, controlling the government with your pitiful small arms is one of the arguments that always never holds water with me. For God's sake, it's the world's most powerful military. Try shooting an F-35 down with a hunting rifle.

Also, I'm a kid, so I'm not trained with guns, thanks for pointing out the obvious. Also, if a criminal has a gun and is in your house, threatening your family, I don't think taking a knife to a gunfight is a good idea. And then maybe the government should be more careful when giving out licenses, in stead of just being lazy and banning them all together.

Aside from controlling the legal supply of guns, you don't actually think the government won't implement parallel measures? No! They need to clamp down on illegal guns, increase and improve the police force, yada yada, such that criminals have far less access to guns.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

party devil, those were some of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen. I'm sure anyone will agree, even if they don't like me or my points.

Showing 736-750 of 1089