Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gun control in the US

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 4:59pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,971 posts

What is the legislation about carrying like knives around in public?

I'm pretty sure there's no federal law against it, other than maybe in high-traffic, regulated places (airports, gov't buildings, schools, etc) or certain types/lengths of knives. States and cities may have specific laws for those, but I'll look into it.

other weapons need allot more handling to kill someone."

Some don't. Poison for example. Heck, pushing a button to set off a bomb doesn't take much manipulation. There's little resistance for either of those.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 5:45pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

Some don't. Poison for example. Heck, pushing a button to set off a bomb doesn't take much manipulation. There's little resistance for either of those.

Poison, while widely accessible requires someone to have intimate knowledge of how much it takes to kill someone. Highly leathal poisons on the other hand tend to be restricted.

Bombs require a know how to make, and the ability to make one without blowing yourself up first.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 5:56pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

Some don't. Poison for example.

is not going to be used in a robbery. guns aint gonna protect you from poison either.
and befor poison hits it's mark, there is is allot of preparing i guess.

pushing a button to set off a bomb doesn't take much manipulation.

so you suggest everyone should walk around whit a bomb? there is alot of preparing befor this bomb can be set off by a remote button.

and guns aint gonna protect you from them either.
therefor they have no place in this debate i think.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 6:02pm

thugtastic

thugtastic

163 posts

Look criminals will always legally or illegally bear arms usually heavily modified. The Second Ammendment is states that you can bear arms so that if your government becomes suppresive and tyrranical you have a means of protection. You obviously are shocked by the recent wave of school shootings, everyone is, but you have decided to take things too far. It is quite obvious that if a teacher or two were caring firearms for self-defense things would go differently; many kids could still be alive.
I'm sure these points have been made in this thread I just haven't seen them.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 6:03pm

thugtastic

thugtastic

163 posts

Poison, while widely accessible requires someone to have intimate knowledge of how much it takes to kill someone. Highly leathal poisons on the other hand tend to be restricted.

Hydrocloric acid is highly accesible.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 6:15pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,971 posts

so you suggest everyone should walk around whit a bomb?

Hello, Mr. Strawman.
The point is, not all ways to kill people involve the physical effort of knifing. If someone really wants to kill someone, they'll find a way.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 7:53pm

thugtastic

thugtastic

163 posts

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS POINT EmperorPalpatine!

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 9:01pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

The point is, not all ways to kill people involve the physical effort of knifing. If someone really wants to kill someone, they'll find a way.

I'm not sure how this supports guns, because the same argument can be used against you.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 9:20pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,069 posts

Knight

I'm pretty sure there's no federal law against it, other than maybe in high-traffic, regulated places (airports, gov't buildings, schools, etc) or certain types/lengths of knives. States and cities may have specific laws for those, but I'll look into it.

I wish you could walk around public with butterfly knives. There is literally no advantage using a butterfly knife compared to using a regular knife. It's an irrational ban.

Sorry, we're talking about guns. : P

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 10:48pm

Deth666

Deth666

670 posts

it is.
but in a situation your brother was in, the biggest gun ever wouldn't have saved him. because they probably shot him dead befor he knew it.
(i dunno the real situation. this is based on the info you gave.)

I wasn't suggesting a gun would have helped my brother. I was saying that if his murderers had a low power handgun, it wouldn't have mattered. It didn't matter what type of weapon his murderers had they still would have killed my brother.

that is why you want your guns right? to defend yourself.

That's not the main reason for me. I just enjoy using and shooting them. I enjoy the history behind the gun. I don't really like modern new fangled guns too much. I don't get the same enjoyment out of an all plastic glock that I do from a wood handled revolver. Different strokes for different folks.

What is the legislation about carrying like knives around in public?

There is a very negative stigma of people who carry knives. I get weird looks and people who ask me all the time "Why would you carry a knife?" or "Are you gonna stab someone?" while they're borrowing my knife to cut something. I blame Hollywood for the negative stigma towards knives. I always carry at least one knife for utility purposes not for self defense or stabbing people. It's very handy to always have a sharp edge around. No looking for scissors or using your teeth or nails on things. Makes life a whole lot easier.

It depends on your state and local laws. The only federal law pertaining to knives is ones about importing and commerce over state lines of switchblades. Most states ban switchblades, gravity knives and balisongs as well as putting a restriction on the length of the knife. Daggers and bowie (or clip point) knives are banned in certain states as well. There's also restrictions on how you carry the knife. Some states say it has to be visible others say it has to be concealed. You can look up your state law at this link http://knife-expert.com/sta-law.htm

I wish you could walk around public with butterfly knives. There is literally no advantage using a butterfly knife compared to using a regular knife. It's an irrational ban.

Take it up with your state legislature. There's no federal ban on balisongs. There's an organization dedicated to knife rights called kniferights.org. Through lawsuits they've managed to overturn a lot of knife legislation in a few different states already. I'm not really a fan of them because they use the second amendment and classify knives as weapons to overturn those laws.

Reply to Gun control in the US

You must be logged in to post a reply!