Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gun control in the US

Posted May 15, '13 at 12:38pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,086 posts

Knight

All these gun regulations are stupid. You think that taking away the right to won firearms is going to help the people? DO YOU really think that will stop psycopaths from getting hands on guns? If we can't own guns how are we going to protect ourselves if lets say pscyopath McGee broke into your house with an assault weapon. How would you protect yourself?

As far as I am aware, armed raving madmen don't break into houses; they go where you find crowds. But letting the improbability of such an event aside, do you really think you'd stand a chance? Even if you had a gun safely stored somehwere in the house, psychopath McGee would get you without trouble.

I've been reasoned to let go of the idea of banning guns, because you don't need a ban on guns if you have reasonable restrictions. There is no ban on car licences, yet you still have to pass exams and take lessons and pay a lot of money. In my opinion, it makes sense that guns are at least as hard to get as car licences. That way, your beloved holy comm.. er, amendments are not even infringed.

Posted May 16, '13 at 8:13am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,179 posts

Knight

For the laws of a country the constitution is supposed to be such a thing. A country couldn't be the same it just throws out it's constitution. So your saying if I was the prime minister of Great Britain I could just be like "Out with the old laws, its my way now"? New laws cannot be in violations of a country's constitution.

Perhaps you didn't read what I typed, or even processed it thoroughly. The Constitution has to be changed when it needs to, to fit society's changes and needs. Do we still believe and need the right of equality for all men regardless of race, religion and ethnicity? Yes. Do we believe guns are needed and are a right? That is debatable. Do we guarantee and define marriage solely as between man and woman? Debatable. Times are changing.

So yes! We can go, ''Out with the old laws'', because the Constitution is fundamentally a set of laws that all laws proceeding take a lead from. If times change, and it doesn't fit our needs, we change.

Did you ever consider that the video of Saddam allowing guns to be purchased wasn't staged? Also in North Korea you can't exactly own guns,and if you do your in the military. Also what was something Hitler and Stalin did? They took away guns. Also if the U.S. was invaded by ground forces they would have a hell of a time trying to conquer. There are ~88 people who own guns out of every 100 people. All things aside a hunting rifle is essentially a sniper rifle that is legal.

Oh no, I didn't watch the video. Guns were ubiquitous during Saddam's time, and well documented.  In fact, after the Iraqis won a football match against Iran in the 1980s, the happy gunfire all around Baghdad and other cities that night was so intense that the government had to warn Iraqis to stay indoors because of the bullets raining down.

In almost all the First World nations, gun ownership is strict, yet are we a dictatorship? Do they riot against the government, and bring down governments? (Greece, Spain, amongst others). Yes! Can people own guns in many dictatorships? Yes, look at Africa or Latin America. Are they free? Certainly not.

I'm a trained soldier. And I can tell you that it takes more than just owning a gun, but months of training to stand your ground, learn proper tactics, and actually conduct a ground operation. We don't even need to send in troops, all respectable militaries today practice the doctrine of artillery/aerial bombardment, with tanks, and then followed by infantry to mop up any resistance left.

If you didn't realize this, bad people don't play by the rules. Syria used chemical weapons agaisnt their own people. North Korea broke all the restrictions to what the UN said they couldn't do. So what makes you think it is 100% possible that someone could not find an illegal means to obtain one of these weapons.

If you didn't realise, tough government crackdowns over time work. What's the difference between Syria/NK and illegal gun dealers? Two are countries, the other is a person. A country can do whatever it wishes to, within its national boundaries and within its own resources, provided it doesn't infringe on international law or another's territory. On the opposite end, we have an entire country and its judicial system against groups of people. Is it easy? No. Is it easier? Yes.

Posted May 16, '13 at 8:39am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

provided it doesn't infringe on international law

only if the country in question has signed the international law.

Posted May 16, '13 at 9:49am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,179 posts

Knight

only if the country in question has signed the international law.

Yes yes, provided it doesn't infringe international law sufficiently for the outside community to take action to a certain degree. Making illegal nukes is one thing, firing them or being linked to terror with WMDs is another.

Posted May 16, '13 at 4:33pm

danielo

danielo

1,397 posts

Someone here feel like a veteran heh? ;)

Peoples with guns are much more dangeruos then not armed persons, right? So its enough for one guy with these guns to kill someone. And bunch to make some damage.

Posted May 17, '13 at 7:58am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,179 posts

Knight

Someone here feel like a veteran heh? ;)

No, but at least more experienced!

Peoples with guns are much more dangeruos then not armed persons, right? So its enough for one guy with these guns to kill someone. And bunch to make some damage.

Agreed. It's scary, the way a rifle blows up a watermelon or concrete block.

Posted Jun 27, '13 at 2:09am

DarkDude1233

DarkDude1233

13 posts

I believe that people should be allowed to own firearms if they pass a background check and also attend mandatory gun safety classes.  Most of the accidents caused by guns misfiring or kids getting into them or any other gun-related news is caused by human stupidity.  There's a thing on firearms called the "Safety" that prevents the gun from firing.  Also, keeping the gun unloaded would stop a lot of these accidental shootings.  As for the mass murderers and gang members, removing all guns from the public won't stop anything; they will buy off the black market.  Also, removing firearms from the general public would endanger them more because of my previously mentioned fact.  Criminals are not going to stop using guns if they are revoked.

Posted Jun 27, '13 at 11:30am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,179 posts

Knight

As for the mass murderers and gang members, removing all guns from the public won't stop anything; they will buy off the black market.Also, removing firearms from the general public would endanger them more because of my previously mentioned fact.  Criminals are not going to stop using guns if they are revoked.

Gun Control isn't just about making it harder to acquire guns, it's also about stamping out illegal sources of guns. Something many other nations have successfully done so.

I believe that people should be allowed to own firearms if they pass a background check and also attend mandatory gun safety classes.  Most of the accidents caused by guns misfiring or kids getting into them or any other gun-related news is caused by human stupidity.  There's a thing on firearms called the "Safety" that prevents the gun from firin

Many people circumvent current checks by letting their relatives buy the gun itself, and then just taking the firearm. People who aren't supposed to own guns can easily procure one in this fashion.

Posted Jun 30, '13 at 4:21am

axzinger

axzinger

6 posts

ok what if they did take all the guns away and you got mugged? just let them take what they want? what if its your wife or girlfriend? with a concealed gun you could wait tell he is going to leave and shot him in the back.

Posted Jun 30, '13 at 5:15am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

ok what if they did take all the guns away and you got mugged? just let them take what they want?

hmmm yes....
you value your possessions more then your life?
well i dont. they may have anything i got on me.
i see no need to play a hero.

what if its your wife or girlfriend? with a concealed gun you could wait tell he is going to leave and shot him in the back.

call the cops for home aggression...

i dunno why you wanna shoot your wife or gf in the back. but i think that relationship has come to a end anyway. and there is no need for violence. just break up and never see each other again...

Reply to Gun control in the US

You must be logged in to post a reply!