Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gun control in the US

Posted Jun 30, '13 at 10:02am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,119 posts

Knight

ok what if they did take all the guns away and you got mugged? just let them take what they want? what if its your wife or girlfriend? with a concealed gun you could wait tell he is going to leave and shot him in the back.

Statistics show that you're more likely to be shot if you pull out your own gun.
In the limited likelihood that I'm robbed with a gun if gun control works, I'll just give my wallet away? The heck? It's my life. I can live with a few fivers gone.

Posted Jun 30, '13 at 11:15pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,071 posts

Knight

Do the statistics account for when the gun is pulled? Do they also account for the scenario?

Part of owning a gun is knowing when to use one, and just as importantly, when not to use one.

hmmm yes....
you value your possessions more then your life?
well i dont. they may have anything i got on me.
i see no need to play a hero.

You will if it's a situation in which a loved one is being threatened, or at least I hope so.

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 12:07am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,049 posts

If you didn't realise, tough government crackdowns over time work.

Like that famous success, the war on drugs.
And please stop going "but what about muggers?". In the UK, you know what a mugging is? Four teenage boys and a knife, taking a wallet and maybe a ring. In the US? A grown person and his/her gun, shooting another person after taking everything they're carrying. In China, I can't even imagine a mugging. My hunting knife got confiscated at Kunming airport. I am twelve.

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 4:28am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

You will if it's a situation in which a loved one is being threatened, or at least I hope so.

never been in the situation so i can't tell. thus-far ive only responded with violence when they threatened me and my group to be lynched.
but that was because they were out to kill and not out for our possessions.
and i think the same will count for your example. i dont see a reason to play the hero when a loved one of mine is threatened for his/her possessions.
if they however thread her life, then i'll use what ive learned to defend myself. (i dont need a gun for that.) but the same would count if they thread my life instead of just mugging me.

I am twelve.

this site is for 13+ ;)

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 9:06am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,119 posts

Knight

Do the statistics account for when the gun is pulled? Do they also account for the scenario?

Part of owning a gun is knowing when to use one, and just as importantly, when not to use one.

I would suppose that they pulled data for recorded crimes.

And please stop going "but what about muggers?". In the UK, you know what a mugging is? Four teenage boys and a knife, taking a wallet and maybe a ring. In the US? A grown person and his/her gun, shooting another person after taking everything they're carrying. In China, I can't even imagine a mugging. My hunting knife got confiscated at Kunming airport. I am twelve.

In China, a mugging doesn't involve a gun. Why? Because guns are tightly regulated. Same for the UK. Why does it for the US? Because the supply and culture of guns have been entrenched over the years, that any effort to control both are far from easy. That doesn't mean that it should be attempted to stop.

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 11:09pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Why does it for the US? Because the supply and culture of guns have been entrenched over the years, that any effort to control both are far from easy. That doesn't mean that it should be attempted to stop.

How do you know things aren't better off now than compared to if gun control was issued? I don't think anyone can know for certain.

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 11:30pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,057 posts

Knight

Should I throw oil on the fire?
Nah, I'm too busy but it's so tempting.

Posted Jul 2, '13 at 12:04am

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Feel free SSTG. I'm curious.

Posted Jul 2, '13 at 1:56am

SSTG

SSTG

11,057 posts

Knight

Feel free SSTG. I'm curious.

Don't tempt me Sal.
Okay, you win!
I'm ready to concede that retired cops and DA should have guns for an obvious reasons (street trashes they put in jail) if they can't afford bodyguards but the rest of the populace,no.
Forget this constitution BS, everybody knows it's crap. Wanting to attack the government is totally stupid, no matter how many guns one redneck might own.
When the Republicans vote down a law to control guns that 94% of the people agreed with is pure betrayal and abuse of power.
Who's behind this? Gun makers, criminals with political connection?
Cowards who are obsessed with being massacred in their house, get a big mean dog and a security system if you're so scared you poor cry babies.
Should cops and military personnel have guns? Of course they should have them, that's part of their job!
Finally, why the heck is this thread still going on?

Posted Jul 2, '13 at 7:51am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,119 posts

Knight

How do you know things aren't better off now than compared to if gun control was issued? I don't think anyone can know for certain.

Because every nation that has enacted a form of gun control that has been stringent, acted upon, and upheld consistently has shown a downturn in gun violence.

How would we know that clean energy would help the Earth? Or that a policy of meritocracy is best for society? Because they have been replicated in other societies. We can bicker over the intricate differences and gulfs between our nations, but there are enough similarities between the two to justify such a policy.

Reply to Gun control in the US

You must be logged in to post a reply!