Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gun control in the US

Posted Jul 7, '13 at 4:42am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,934 posts

Knight

I'd much rather have a gun in the house and feel safe then not have a gun and know there's a potential that a criminal could break in with a gun. I'd like to be on even grounds at least with the criminal in question. And if the criminal doesn't have a gun, well then you're in control of the situation. But if you don't have a gun and they do...

If it makes you feel safe... but again, you're risking your life, so in fact it's more likely to be less safe. Whereas if you just stay in your bed and call the police without the criminal noticing, he might get caught and trialed and you keep your stuff.

Posted Jul 7, '13 at 11:24am

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

If it makes you feel safe... but again, you're risking your life, so in fact it's more likely to be less safe. Whereas if you just stay in your bed and call the police without the criminal noticing, he might get caught and trialed and you keep your stuff.

True, but what if he finds you calling the police from your bed or he seeks you out in the first place? I'd like to be able to know that I have a gun to defend myself from said lawbreaker, and then I would be more safe because normal people aren't willing to risk their life for some goods from a house.

Posted Jul 7, '13 at 5:04pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

True, but what if he finds you calling the police from your bed

95% of the burglars dont go up stairs.. and if you live on 1 floor then most do not seek in bedrooms.

or he seeks you out in the first place?

is there any reason for someone to seek you in your sleep?
the chance this will happen to a random person is so small that it wont beat up against the harm done by them accidentally.

normal people aren't willing to risk their life for some goods from a house.

exactly. why do you want to risk your life for some stupid material stuff, by being on the same hights with the lawbreaker with your gun?
said lawbreaker will start shooting faster when he sees you have a gun because he doesn't want to be shot. turning the situation ugly in a sec. while if you just co-operate with him and simply give what he needs. then you get out alive and the police will have to start the investigation.
i c no need for one to try to play the hero for some stupid stuff.

(beside, small criminals wont have guns when they are outlawed. and those criminals that do have a gun are more easy to find.)

Posted Jul 7, '13 at 5:34pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,970 posts

95% of the burglars dont go up stairs..

Got a source or are you guessing?

and if you live on 1 floor then most do not seek in bedrooms.

Why not? That's where all the jewelry usually is.

is there any reason for someone to seek you in your sleep?

So there's no chance of someone identifying him or reporting what happened or calling the police or disturbing him while he does whatever he wants. Perhaps it's not just a robbery and they want you dead.

while if you just co-operate with him and simply give what he needs. then you get out alive and the police will have to start the investigation.

Yeah right. No guarantee they won't cap you in the head on their way out.

Posted Jul 7, '13 at 6:53pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

Yeah right. No guarantee they won't cap you in the head on their way out.

Plus they may never find the guy or your stuff. They're not going to look super hard or set a ton of resources for missing junk when there are druggies and murderers out there.

(beside, small criminals wont have guns when they are outlawed. and those criminals that do have a gun are more easy to find.)

I actually think it would be the opposite. A criminal would know that no house has a gun, so if he/she has on, he or she would be in control of the situation.

said lawbreaker will start shooting faster when he sees you have a gun because he doesn't want to be shot.

And that's not necessarily true. It could become a shootout, a stalemate, or the criminal leaves because he/she doesn't think bodily harm is worth some stuff.

i c no need for one to try to play the hero for some stupid stuff.

I wouldn't consider it being hero, I would consider it protecting my family and loved ones.

Posted Jul 9, '13 at 11:39am

Getoffmydangle

Getoffmydangle

148 posts

I wouldn't consider it being hero, I would consider it protecting my family and loved ones.

And thats fine if thats what you "consider" it.   If that makes you feel safe, go ahead.   
But just know, that the statistics (which have been discussed at length earlier in this thread, and for my own sheer laziness' sake, I'm not going to retrieve) indicate that it is far more likely that you or a loved one will be shot with your gun than the chances that your gun will be used successfully to defend your self or your home/family.  So while you might feel safer, you are actually less safe.

Posted Jul 9, '13 at 7:09pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

Got a source or are you guessing?

as far as a police tv show is going....
we dont get only the action tapes, in the dutch program they go deeper in the work of the police and often tell such facts. if i want a source for that then i need some digging but i'm pretty sure it's out there. or else they wouldn't have used it in that show. (show by the state. not a private channel)

Perhaps it's not just a robbery and they want you dead.

if they want you dead, do you think they give you time to shoot them befor they shoot you? especially when it's very likely you have a gun? nha they open the door and pull the trigger.

anyway i c you guys rather play a hero and risk your life. so be it... i guess it got so far down the drain that it's a must now for you.

Posted Jul 9, '13 at 11:51pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,970 posts

do you think they give you time to shoot them befor they shoot you?

Do you think it takes more time for a person who is readily aiming a weapon at an opening door to pull a trigger than someone who has no idea of the layout of the room?

Posted Jul 10, '13 at 4:41am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,934 posts

Knight

Do you think it takes more time for a person who is readily aiming a weapon at an opening door to pull a trigger than someone who has no idea of the layout of the room?

In this case the house owner has the advantage, but don't forget this is just the ideal case.

Posted Jul 10, '13 at 5:29am

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

do you lie in bed every night aiming at the door ready to shoot as soon some1 pops his head inside?

that sounds very paranoid to me...
no wonder people sometimes kill their own family when they think it is a burglar...

Reply to Gun control in the US

You must be logged in to post a reply!