Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gun control in the US

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 4:40am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,257 posts

Knight

And wait 20 minutes for emergency services and law enforcement to maybe show up at the right house to investigate your brutal murder.

There will only be a murder if you try to interfere with the burglary. Best/safest thing is still to notify the police and stay silent.

Unless your police is so mediocre as you make it sound.

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 9:35am

danielo

danielo

1,748 posts

What do you prefer, to be angry at someone or to blow his guts?

How USA will look if every time a person feel threat he "stand his ground"? Student, costumers and patient dead all over the place?

Gun kill peoples. Thats it. Guns are killing machine. They are the power of the government. The police have guns for reason. You are not a cop, nor a judge or an executiner. Who are you to choose who is gonna live and who dont?!

And wher are all these armed gangs of bandits who make neighbrhoods battlefields agaisnt the poor house owner who protect there property?
Does property count more then human life?

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 12:00pm

rychus

rychus

1,301 posts

Gun kill peoples. Thats it. Guns are killing machine.

Ask a gun to kill someone. It's not going to happen. Now, If you pick that gun up, point it at someone and pull the trigger now you have killed someone using a gun.

As to burglary...
A thief is not that courageous as you might think. If a burglar breaks into my home, I know the one thing that will send him right back outside: The sound of me loading a 12 Gauge shotgun.

There will only be a murder if you try to interfere with the burglary.

You do realize that if someone breaks into your house or is holding you at gunpoint, you can kill them in self defense? It isn't Murder, which is a crime punishable to a life in prison.

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 1:38pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

There will only be a murder if you try to interfere with the burglary.

Except it's not always a burglary. A rare example, but what if you're targeted? Or they attack first to show they're serious? Perhaps they want to rape/torture/kill your family at random just because they can. You don't know their motives.

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 4:14pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,257 posts

Knight

Ask a gun to kill someone. It's not going to happen. Now, If you pick that gun up, point it at someone and pull the trigger now you have killed someone using a gun.

Guns make people kill people. The study I posted before evidenced that the availability of guns does have an impact on suicide rates. I am ready to wager it also counts for homicide rates.

You do realize that if someone breaks into your house or is holding you at gunpoint, you can kill them in self defense? It isn't Murder, which is a crime punishable to a life in prison.

You do realise that due to reasons someone stated on the previous page, trying to shoot the one holding you at gunpoint is most likely suicide, or even harmful for your entire family?

Except it's not always a burglary.

Yeah but in the cases it's not, I would assume you don't have much chance anyway. People have been surprised in their sleep, how do you fight back when you were just woken up by a guy with a gun? Such cases are always tragic but I would challenge the usefulness of a gun safely stored somewhere in the house/room in such cases.

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 5:11pm

danielo

danielo

1,748 posts

So now you are the lonely ranger? Defending your house from waves of random maniac torturers? What is it, Clockwork orange?!

You have seen waaaaay too many movies dear friend.
In my entire life here in Israel there was no case of it. And whena burgler entered my house my dad jist grabed a hockey stick (we sell them) and yelled, and all the three(!!!) Ran away.
Should he shoot them (If he had a gun)?

Long story short - no Apachee are going to assault your wagon gov'ner.

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 5:29pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

You have seen waaaaay too many movies dear friend.

Nope, I just read enough news to know that these things happen elsewhere. What stops it from happening here?

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 6:00pm

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,213 posts

As to burglary...
A thief is not that courageous as you might think. If a burglar breaks into my home, I know the one thing that will send him right back outside: The sound of me loading a 12 Gauge shotgun.

Or the sound of you handing over your wallet.
Why is it so hard to just part with your money? For God's sake, there's no reason to shoot someone when all they wanna do is rob you. Also, what if the thief has got a gun? Why don't we take away both parties' guns? And before you break out the old argument,
If the Government succeeds in restricting guns, the criminals that are already breaking the law are NOT going to walk over and hand their guns to the government. Guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people.

Yes, but how will the new wannabe criminals get guns? The "black market"? Getting an illegal gun isn't as easy as it sounds. You can't just get onto Google Maps, take the first exit onto Felon Avenue and knock on the big steel door. It's harder than that.

Wow. You actually want to kill a burglar, don't you? Just... wow. There's no need for it, you know.
And wait 20 minutes for emergency services and law enforcement to maybe show up at the right house to investigate your brutal murder. Unless, of course, the police are the ones breaking in.

Wow. American cops are terrible. I'm glad I'm not in your country... unless, of course, you're exaggerating. I do hope not... you'd be the first one in the entire history of the online gun control debate.
Except it's not always a burglary. A rare example, but what if you're targeted? Or they attack first to show they're serious? Perhaps they want to rape/torture/kill your family at random just because they can. You don't know their motives.

Keyser Söze! Keeyser Söze! But seriously, this all leads back to why the hell they had guns in the first place. If you know it's illegal to buy a pistol, then many people will think twice before murdering.
In the UK, gun violence is very rare and almost always a small-scale gang-on-gang thing. In the US, gun violence is commonly found in most slums. Another thing - most UK muggings are a few teenagers and one knife. My uncle got burgled but he woke up midway through. Know what happened? He handed over his wallet, lost some money and cancelled his cards. End of story. Neither side had a gun and even if both sides had, I doubt my uncle would have been enough of a twat to pull it out.

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 6:05pm

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,213 posts

Another interesting fact: the WHO's 2011 life expectancy thing has the UK's male and female life expectancy at 79 and 82, respectively. The US? 76 and 81. That's one year less than the UK for women, but three less for men. My theory? In America, the one who picks up the gun to "defend his family" (and then gets shot) is the man of the house. That's three years off the life expectancy because someone has just tried to threaten a burglar.

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 6:15pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

unless, of course, you're exaggerating.

Not in the least. My mom was cleaning a friend's house while they were away. She accidentally opened the door while the alarm was engaged. The security company called. She answered the phone and explained the situation, but they still had to send an officer to make sure everything was ok. It took about a half hour for him to show up. She explained the situation and he left. About an hour later, the company called again saying that they needed to send another officer as part of their procedure. Since she was almost done cleaning, she said "Ok, but I'll probably be gone before they show up." And she was.

Reply to Gun control in the US

You must be logged in to post a reply!