Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gun control in the US

Posted Oct 27, '13 at 8:43pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,858 posts

I ain't against gunsin particular for I like guns myself but amerca has taken their gun craze to extreme.
There should be laws and regulations govrning gun ownership.
As burgular, If he has a knif and I am empty handed, I'll go for him but if he has a gun and I have a gun too, I'll calmly surrender for most likely he will have an element of surprise iver me, at that moment, pulling a gun will be suicide.

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 12:19am

rychus

rychus

1,189 posts

Wow. You actually want to kill a burglar, don't you? Just... wow. There's no need for it, you know.

No, I don't want to kill a burglar, but if It came down to protecting what I have and those I love: I wouldn't hesitate.

For God's sake, there's no reason to shoot someone when all they wanna do is rob you.

Are you kidding me? Your taking the side of the thief. There's no reason to shoot someone when they want to rob you? That IS the reason you would shoot someone. You would protect yourself, those you love, and your belongings.

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 12:41am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,971 posts

For God's sake, there's no reason to shoot someone when all they wanna do is rob you.

I wonder how much control I could have over people like you in your country if I was a terrorist. It seems as easy as holding someone up with a weapon of any kind, strapping a small but deadly explosive to their neck, and telling them what to do, such as to do the same to the next person they see ad infinitum until the nation is mine.

There's no reason to shoot someone when they want to rob you? That IS the reason you would shoot someone. You would protect yourself, those you love, and your belongings.

It also shows that we don't comply with fear tactics.

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 4:11am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,009 posts

I wonder how much control I could have over people like you in your country if I was a terrorist. It seems as easy as holding someone up with a weapon of any kind, strapping a small but deadly explosive to their neck, and telling them what to do, such as to do the same to the next person they see ad infinitum until the nation is mine.

http://markleeis.me/images/posts/boy-that-escalated-quickly-1.png
How did we get from "your possessions are not worth anyone's life" to "there's no need to kill someone just because they want to turn the entire population of Britain into walking bombs"? Logical failure detected.
I'm not  a coward (well I am, but not in the way you describe), I just think it's stupid to pull out a freaking gun and risk your life (and that of your family) rather than go without a TV for a few months.
I'm actually glad I've never been to the US now.

Also, you know that only like 20% of US marines will actually look someone in the eye and shoot them, right? Now think. You are not a soldier. You are not trained to kill. Most likely, you take 30 seconds just to get the safety catch off. They are practiced, they are desperate, and they may well have a family to feed.
They know that if they surrender, they'll go to prison and possibly (in some backward places) to death row. You, on the other hand, are well-fed, happy, you've never had to kill someone, probably never even shot anything with the gun and... well, probably can't even work up the resolve. And if you hesitate so much as a second, then a pistol round will enter your head.

Which is why the male life expectancy in the USA is three years lower than the UK, where we have good gun control and a mostly sane government. In case you suddenly do a U-turn and blame healthcare, the life expectancy for women is only one year less.

No, I don't want to kill a burglar, but if It came down to protecting what I have and those I love: I wouldn't hesitate.

Such gung-ho materialism... leave a robber alone and almost all the time, they'll do the same to you. A metal door will work fine as well, you know. A steel safe room? No-one dies, you lose a few hundred bucks' worth of possessions. Big whoop.

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 4:14am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,009 posts

Not in the least. My mom was cleaning a friend's house while they were away. She accidentally opened the door while the alarm was engaged. The security company called. She answered the phone and explained the situation, but they still had to send an officer to make sure everything was ok. It took about a half hour for him to show up. She explained the situation and he left. About an hour later, the company called again saying that they needed to send another officer as part of their procedure. Since she was almost done cleaning, she said "Ok, but I'll probably be gone before they show up." And she was.

So... they took 30 minutes to get there for a survey when she had said she was fine? My uncle has been burgled before. It was fine. He lost some stuff and a wallet. Cancelled his cards, bought new stuff... not a big deal.

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 4:38am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,953 posts

Knight

Are you kidding me? Your taking the side of the thief. There's no reason to shoot someone when they want to rob you? That IS the reason you would shoot someone. You would protect yourself, those you love, and your belongings.

I won't refute your right to protect your belongings, but death is NOT the penalty for burglary. Ideally, a burglar should be sentenced for burglary; I admit it is not always so easy, but a resident who shoots a burglar should, in my opinion, not get away unscolded.

Luckily for such things we have the police, army and other special units, who in my country at least seem to be much more competent (at least the police) than in America, the way you portray it. So, still no reason to arm every tomfool.

There is a time when you should stop trying to be a viking and be reasonable...

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 8:55am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,971 posts

How did we get from "your possessions are not worth anyone's life" to "there's no need to kill someone just because they want to turn the entire population of Britain into walking bombs"?

Because the second you say to someone who threatens you "Ok, I'll do what you want", they own you. Based on what you said, giving up is standard there. Criminals expect it and could easily take things a lot further, since you're already under their thumb.

So... they took 30 minutes to get there for a survey when she had said she was fine?

She didn't remember the person's passcode while on the phone, so they were sent the same as if something was wrong because criminals can say stuff too.

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 9:09am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,009 posts

This is going round in circles. Let's abandon these arguments and come up with new ones.

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 9:34am

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

@nerdsoft. clearly you dont understand what i mean cause your to blind hating guns. i hate guns maybe more then you do. but what you want. "banning guns all together" is simply not going to happen. neither is it needed. cause a gun can be a very useful tool. just not in the way those trigger happy americans think of as a useful tool.

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 10:01am

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

Except it's not always a burglary. A rare example,

no it can be your son that sneaked out earlier to see his new girlfriend that you dont know about. and when tries to sneak back in bed. BOOM! headshot!.  well done protecting ;)

Reply to Gun control in the US

You must be logged in to post a reply!