Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gun control in the US

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 10:08am

partydevil

partydevil

5,289 posts

Because the second you say to someone who threatens you "Ok, I'll do what you want", they own you. Based on what you said, giving up is standard there. Criminals expect it and could easily take things a lot further, since you're already under their thumb.

ive never seen a opening where some1 could say that sentence. cause criminals mostly criminals do not give this opening. they just make demands. if you do those demands then soon they got what they want and will go again cause part 2 of their plans is getting away unseen.

also when the criminals think they have you under control they start to losen some. maybe giving that opening to get out when their not looking. but that would be a lucky shot anyway.

Posted Oct 29, '13 at 12:48am

rychus

rychus

1,301 posts

OK, I am starting a new argument.

So here is my question: If you start to restrict guns for the law-abiding citizens, they will be defenseless! A criminal who is already breaking the law will now have the advantage in any type of crime situation with the law-abiding citizen(s). Now, you may be thinking: "Well they aren't completely defenseless, they could have a baseball bat or golf club." Ok. Think about it. How good will a baseball bat do against a criminal with a gun? And will you really have the guts to charge the criminal?
I was researching a bit, and I found a nice little fact. "If you are within 7 feet of a person holding a gun on you, you have a chance to rush the person and take the gun from them." How many courageous people would rush the criminal in order to possibly save your life and other people's life? I know I would, because thats how I've been raised and taught.
But heres another thing: Fear. If you not only allow, but encourage law-abiding citizens to purchase firearms to protect themselves, how do you think criminals will react to this? I think that they would be more careful, which would mean we would get less crimes because of the fact these criminals are scared of being shot with a 12 gauge.

but death is NOT the penalty for burglary.

OK, I am going to agree somewhat with you here. But if you actually think about it, if the possibility of death hangs over their heads, they would second-guess themselves. They would weigh the outcomes and possibilities. On the left hand, we have death. On the right hand, we have a few nights of eating which could be earned easier in less life-threatening ways. Sure they shouldn't need to die, but if they choose to break into a home, thats a definent possibility.

Posted Oct 29, '13 at 1:02am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,475 posts

If you start to restrict guns for the law-abiding citizens, they will be defenseless! A criminal who is already breaking the law will now have the advantage in any type of crime situation with the law-abiding citizen(s).

But according to the rest of the world, it is the duty of the victim to surrender at all times.

Posted Oct 29, '13 at 1:08am

rychus

rychus

1,301 posts

But according to the rest of the world, it is the duty of the victim to surrender at all times.

Not in my world.

Posted Oct 29, '13 at 4:49am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,512 posts

Knight

They would weigh the outcomes and possibilities.

Would they?

Spot extrapolating and misunderstanding our arguments. I'm just saying it is safer for you not to try and fight back an armed burglar, plus it's juristically less problematic.

One factor that I'd like to discuss is American architecture. Many houses are like cardboard houses, easy to break in. This might strengthen the necessity of a gun to feel safe. What if your home was sufficiently securized?

Posted Oct 29, '13 at 4:57am

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,863 posts

Yo listen up, I 'll tell you a tale.
Few years ago, in pakistan, robberies got way out of hand, like too many robberies.
People were understandibaly pissed.
One day, few robbers went about their business in a town, their bad luck was calling them for the people gathered up with their guns and pitch forks ( mainly guns).
When they finished soiling their pants, the robbers promptly surrendered ( reaper had an easy day thanks to them). Now people of the town who were now evolved into an angry mob beat the robbers up pretty good. So good that those poor *******s died.
News went viral, police could not do anything for whole town was involvedand who were they gonna arrest, based on what?
Another town copied the methd, then another then another town flamed things up a bit(literaly, as in they burned them alive) robberies reduced for the time being, but a few months later, robbers after having enjoyed their break started robbing more than ever, with a little twist, they shoot to kill on first sign of struggle.
PS:- In Pakistan, 11% population has legal fire arms, illegal fire arms are easily twice or thrice that number. For all practical purposes, every second person owns a gun.

Posted Oct 29, '13 at 10:09am

partydevil

partydevil

5,289 posts

are your possessions more important then your life?
you rather escalate a burglary into a gunfight instead of losing some material possessions? what good will those items be to you when your dead?

i know americans are raised to try to be the hero all the time. from the lowest beggar to mr.president himself. but it is not needed. it is provoking more bad then it does good. just look at a random superhero, there is always a nemesis that just wants to kill that hero. being a hero for 1 often means your a enemy for the other. and now take a look at the us government. =P

If you not only allow, but encourage law-abiding citizens to purchase firearms to protect themselves, how do you think criminals will react to this? I think that they would be more careful, which would mean we would get less crimes because of the fact these criminals are scared of being shot with a 12 gauge.

i think they will prepare better for their "work". and become more aggressive.
shooting the law-abiding citizen befor they get the chance of shooting the criminal. after all, who is the 1 expecting a gunfight that evening? not the law-abiding citizen. he is watching football on tv.
more fear = more violence.

How many courageous people would rush the criminal in order to possibly save your life and other people's life? I know I would, because thats how I've been raised and taught.

most people are unable to shoot in the heat of the moment anyway. what good does it do that they have a gun in the house if they can't use it when the situation is just right as too often is used by pro-gun people?

But if you actually think about it, if the possibility of death hangs over their heads, they would second-guess themselves. They would weigh the outcomes and possibilities. On the left hand, we have death. On the right hand, we have a few nights of eating which could be earned easier in less life-threatening ways

hereis one for you:
the possibility you get into a gunfight and die increases greatly by owning a gun and using it against criminals.
on your left had. you co-operate with the criminal and he will get away as soon possible. you stay alive but are missing some money and/or items.
on your right hand. you point a gun at the criminal who in reflex shoots you. now your dead (or crippled for a while if your lucky) and the money and/or items you had are for no use anymore anyway.

stop trying to be the hero. think...

Posted Oct 29, '13 at 3:27pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,475 posts

you rather escalate a burglary into a gunfight instead of losing some material possessions?

Again, how do you know they only want stuff? Are you in their head? When someone breaks into someone else's home, it could be for any nefarious reason. When you're readily submissive, they can do anything they want. Most are happy with a cookie, but some want a glass of milk too. It's not about the stuff. It's about control.

Posted Oct 29, '13 at 3:52pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,512 posts

Knight

It's not about the stuff. It's about control.

And as I said before, in the cases people break into your house specifically for cookie and milk, I doubt a gun somewhere in your drawers will be of much use.

Posted Oct 29, '13 at 4:37pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,475 posts

I doubt a gun somewhere in your drawers will be of much use.

Then get The Back Up or keep one on your hip.

Reply to Gun control in the US

You must be logged in to post a reply!