Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

The Fiscal Cliff

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 1:38pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Why would any nation want to cut off their lifeblood?

Strange thing to say after just mentioning America selling out to China...
And you never know. Those workers can only be expected to stay "content" in poor conditions for so long.

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 1:49pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,077 posts

Knight

Strange thing to say after just mentioning America selling out to China...

American companies had no choice but to move on to China to cope with the cheaper COPs; they still send remittance back. America is still backed by substantial FDI overseas and its own strong domestic manufactoring/industries. On the other hand, China's main driving economical force is such cheap manufacturing. Take it away, and the house of cards wobbles.

And you never know. Those workers can only be expected to stay "content" in poor conditions for so long.

China has moved production inland, where it's cheaper. Also, it's moving up the technological chain at a frightening pace.

I wish America could rely on themselves a little more. Just a tad, please?

If consumers gave up the dirt cheap prices, it would. Would you though?

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 1:53pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

If consumers gave up the dirt cheap prices, it would. Would you though?

Yes, as a matter of fact, yes, I would. Are you asking: Would most Americans?

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 1:55pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,077 posts

Knight

Yes, as a matter of fact, yes, I would. Are you asking: Would most Americans?

That's what's going to make it all a pipe dream.

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 1:57pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,077 posts

Knight

Would be an astute time to point out though, that the fiscal cliff, which concerns itself with the budget deficit, isn't the same economic beast as the trade deficit the US has with China. We shouldn't conflate the two issues into one big mess.

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 1:59pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

Yep, your right. What do you think we should do?

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 2:05pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,077 posts

Knight

The usual liberal humdrum. Cut spending, especially military spending, raise taxes on the rich, extend tax cuts for the poor and middle class. But it never is as simple as that.

At the same time, tackle the underlying problems of the deficit, but not focus on it directly. Boost employment as Krugman recommended, although this will eat even more into a budget.

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 2:14pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

I totes agree. But.... Cutting spending, that isn't "liberal" speaking is it? Or maybe my Grandparents have made me watch too much Fox News...

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 2:42pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

Also, it's moving up the technological chain at a frightening pace.

a bit to fast. there are a few ghost citys. that have been build to attract farmers in living in a big city. but the farmers never came and the city's are nearly empty.
the chinese government thinks that if they build a big city that people will automatically go there and that it will increase the local economy.
but instead did they spend billions for nothing yet.

Those workers can only be expected to stay "content" in poor conditions for so long.

the workers are not massively crying about the work conditions.
protesting against your boss is simply not done. and if the do they just lose their job. enough people that gladly takes the job.

a chinese company here in the netherlands. wanted to stop producing here entirly, because there was a protest once. and they never seen that befor and didn't know how to handle it. it toke nearly 2 year befor they set around a table to discuss the problems.

Cutting spending, that isn't "liberal" speaking is it?

cutting spendings is a must. no matter your background. the usa spends to much on nearly all levels of society.

maybe my Grandparents have made me watch too much Fox News...

every minute is a minute too much...

Posted Dec 20, '12 at 10:49pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,077 posts

Knight

but instead did they spend billions for nothing yet.

Small pittance to the overall growth.

Cutting spending, that isn't "liberal" speaking is it?

Democrats have always pushed for spending cuts, but in different areas.

Reply to The Fiscal Cliff

You must be logged in to post a reply!