Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Was slavery symbolic of the South?

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 3:49pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

The confederates attacked first, so it really wasn't that Lincoln started the war.

1) The Northern troops were asked repeatedly to abandon the post, and were warned of the attack by the South Carolina governor and P.T. Beauregard.

2) The Northern troops were occuppying Southern Territory. Yes they attacked first, but the North could be seen as the aggressor.

Posted Dec 24, '12 at 12:39am

handlerfan

handlerfan

192 posts

I am friends withe an American over here. She agrees with some of what Maverick says. I observe that the slave based economy in the South did make inroads into the diversifying North. I see people in the south, facing a crisis; they were losing their role as the major source of wealth, and going north to muscle in on the north's increasing wealth production capacity.
I imagine that whoever fired the first shot the people of Civil War times manouvered into a position where the impetus towards their conflict turning violent was too strong to resists.

Posted Dec 24, '12 at 1:45pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

I imagine that whoever fired the first shot the people of Civil War times manouvered into a position where the impetus towards their conflict turning violent was too strong to resists.

^This. And to add to what was said by handlerfan, secession in the US was a very common threat/issue. In the prior century, one part of the nation or the other had threatened to secede. Most notable is van Buren, who tried to become President of what is now called the North East, and was captured on the Mississippi River before he could be installed by the Spanish as the Emperor of Louissiana (which was, at this time, a vast territory).

Reply to Was slavery symbolic of the South?

You must be logged in to post a reply!