Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Do you believe in Global warming?

Posted Dec 24, '12 at 11:11am

Besch

Besch

45 posts

Ice ages an warm phases will continue to come and go as long as the land bridge of middle america exists. Only because of this the gulf stream is redirected back to Northern Europe. And each time a "minor" event changes the condition up there (shift in planetary trajectory, change of salt concentration in polar region,...).

The interesting thing of Global warming is, it occurs faster and faster.

Warmer water has a bigger volume causing sea levels to rise higher.
The ice caps are reflecting enormous amounts of sun radiation which is now more and more absorbed by the sea.
The solubility of CO² in water (yes a gas can "dissolve" into water) is worse when its temperature is higher (just like warm soda hasnt any gas in it anymore).

Posted Dec 25, '12 at 1:47am

thebloxxer

thebloxxer

28 posts

I don't believe in "Global Warming", but I will believe in Pollution.

Posted Dec 26, '12 at 10:56am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,305 posts

Knight

I don't believe in "Global Warming", but I will believe in Pollution.

There's no reason to believe in pollution, it's a fact you have to acknowledge; just as climate change is.

The solubility of CO² in water (yes a gas can "dissolve" into water) is worse when its temperature is higher (just like warm soda hasnt any gas in it anymore).

It's still soluble enough to acidify the water substantially which then aggresses corals even more, or so I've read. There's something with corals, their inbuild algae and water CO2 content going on though I don't remember what exactly anymore.

Posted Dec 29, '12 at 1:13am

SSTG

SSTG

11,635 posts

Knight

I'm torn about this subject because on one hand, we're coming out of an Ice Age so it's normal that a warm up is occurring.
The idea that man causes it is a little iffy to me but I agree that pollution could help accelerate the process.
Also those maniacs who are decimating to Amazonian forest are definitely causing a change in the weather.
It brakes the cycle of trees filtering the CO2 and the evaporation causing clouds that produces rain.
It also weakens the soil which can create huge and deadly mud slides during rainy seasons so I don't really know what to think of it honestly.

Posted Dec 29, '12 at 8:27pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,130 posts

those maniacs who are decimating to Amazonian forest

until a few year ago (in brazil) land owners were only allowed to cut about 20% of their trees. (then sell the land so the new owner can cut 20%)
they have changed that to a whooping 75%.
it wont take very long befor siberia is the only giant forest left. especially whit the worlds demand on rainforest wood.

Posted Dec 30, '12 at 12:23pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,856 posts

until a few year ago (in brazil) land owners were only allowed to cut about 20% of their trees. (then sell the land so the new owner can cut 20%)
they have changed that to a whooping 75%.
it wont take very long befor siberia is the only giant forest left. especially whit the worlds demand on rainforest wood.

We live in a depressing world. Oh well, I'll laugh/cough when everyone realizes they have lost a fifth of the world's oxygen with the missing Amazon.

I believe in Climate Change, for certain. There are too many changes happening to ignore. When I lived in Christchurch, New Zealand, we were getting snow. NZ is a relatively warm country, and the cold winters bear little snow due to the sea being so close. Yet we started getting snow a fair bit, in the recent two years. Other examples can be found throughout the world, not to mention the ozone hole baking Antartica.

Posted Dec 30, '12 at 8:33pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,286 posts

Looks like Al Gore needs to come up with a sequel to his book. Something like "An Inconvenient Truth II: What the Hell is Wrong with You People!?"

It's like this. Politicians think Climate Change is an issue like civil rights and foreign relations -- something debatable. I'm sorry, but when it comes to Science, there is no Democracy about it. They don't get a vote. Well, that's in the perfect world. Apparently they don't understand what it means when a problem in the Biosphere is nearly-unanimously backed by Climatologists to be factual.

But now the majority of Britain doesn't believe in Climate Change either. I thought they were smarter than that. This is the home of Newton and Darwin. I can't believe we let their engineers build our exploding oil platforms!

Why don't people believe in Climate Change? Recently, it's because "we just had a snowy blizzard tear through the Midwest." Which is like saying the sun might not be real because last night it got dark. This is the problem with our minds to always see two sides of every issue equally. Especially when one of the parties has a lot of money and another depends on it. On one side, politicians who have no idea what they are talking about and have something to say. On the other side, every scientist in the world.

There is no debate to this phenomenon. Just scientists versus non-scientists with money. Since the topic is Science, the non-scientists don't.get.a.vote.

We shouldn't decide everything by polling everyone, especially when it is a topic of science that has been proven factual. This is the fallacy called Argumentum ad Numerum, where something is correct because great numbers believe it. So in other words "eat a pile of dog poop, because ten trillion flies can't be wrong."

Posted Dec 30, '12 at 8:49pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

Why don't people believe in Climate Change?

There's two major reasons that I've seen that people give for it.

1) The misnomer of "Global Warming" and then citing a cold day.

2) Disbelief that emissions given off can have an effect on the global environment.

This is the problem with our minds to always see two sides of every issue equally

Everything is equally valid when you're equally ignorant of facts. What it boils down to, anyways.

On one side, politicians who have no idea what they are talking about and have something to say.

Don't forget your movie stars, pop idols, comedians and what not. Their word must be as good as a scientist's in regards to a science matter, right? Why else would they be famous?

Posted Dec 31, '12 at 8:10am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,856 posts

1) The misnomer of "Global Warming" and then citing a cold day.

Proof that our modern "education" aint' doin' what twas' spost' to.

2) Disbelief that emissions given off can have an effect on the global environment.

Kind of like going to the toilet in a spring and expecting the spring to be fresh.

Ignorance is unacceptable when it comes to this kind of crisis, where the world is in grave danger and acting later seals our fate. Scientists should be in command in many areas, what with their unanimous agreement that our world is in danger ('cept for them "religious scientists" who I always laugh at) because politicians know about as much about Climate Change as they know about the state of affairs in their own brains.

Don't forget your movie stars, pop idols, comedians and what not. Their word must be as good as a scientist's in regards to a science matter, right? Why else would they be famous?

Yes, you would probably need their approval to do anything in this place. I'm pretty sure most would be open to reason, and unlike politicians, they won't hold debates over it. I think.

Posted Dec 31, '12 at 12:00pm

thebloxxer

thebloxxer

28 posts

I didn't say I don't acknowledge pollution. Just because I put "believe" doesen't mean I don't "acknowledge" it. Don't try to spin my words on me.

Reply to Do you believe in Global warming?

You must be logged in to post a reply!