Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Westboro baptist church (Sign the petition)

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 9:46am

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

what group is a hate group for you noname?

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 9:57am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,853 posts

Knight

He said it, the KKK.

It's just a matter of time before the WBC steps up onto the next level on the way to hate group stage though.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 10:12am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,069 posts

Knight

As soon as WBC says, "we need to kill all the ***s,"  I'll consider them a hate group. I can't recall the group demanding we act violently against others, only that we change our ways and that we deserve all the bad that happens to us. If WBC did suggest we kill others, then I will stand corrected.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 11:31am

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

so hate only consists in violence?

so i dont hate the usa afterall. ^^

a politician in my country was not saying people should kill foreigners. but he was inciting hate. and was to taken to court for it.
was he nothing setting people up to hate and racism?

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 12:26pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,069 posts

Knight

so hate only consists in violence?

There's a difference between hate and hate groups. To be considered a hate group, you need to do more than simply "hate". I can start a club for everyone who hates peanut butter, that doesn't make us a hate group.

We can't simply label WBC as a hate group at the federal level without understand what it means for the government to apply such a label. As far as I'm concerned, they're a hate group, but they haven't reached the point in which the government should attach such a label.

a politician in my country was not saying people should kill foreigners. but he was inciting hate. and was to taken to court for it.
was he nothing setting people up to hate and racism?

Politicians influence the laws that we must abide by. A politician who speaks against foreigners likely has a political agenda which involves taking away the rights of foreigners in some way. This is reason enough to remove this politician from power. Should he be taken to court for having racist opinions? No. If he's taken to court, it should be for conspiring against foreigners.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 1:03pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

Should he be taken to court for having racist opinions? No

he wasn't taken to court for racist opinions. but for inciting hate and racism.

As far as I'm concerned, they're a hate group, but they haven't reached the point in which the government should attach such a label.

the government can't put that label on whitout violence? hate is more then just violence. if everyone (most) outside westboro thinks they are a hate group why shouldn't the government label them as that aswell?
afterall the government should be the voice of the public.

I can start a club for everyone who hates peanut butter, that doesn't make us a hate group.

it doesn't?
because they dont use violence against peanut butter or...?

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 1:17pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

If he's taken to court, it should be for conspiring against foreigners.

this line completely slipped past me. sort of the reason why he was taken to court.

can't the same be done whit westboro? they conspire against gays.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 2:34pm

rafterman

rafterman

623 posts

I never said I hate freedom. Why do you assume that? They can say whatever the hell they want but they're not going to be tax exempt because they're a "Religion".

You stated in your original post that this will "overall will help stop the stupid things that they do." meaning you wish to silence - or at the very least stifle them because you disagree with what they say.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 2:38pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,570 posts

You stated in your original post that this will "overall will help stop the stupid things that they do." meaning you wish to silence - or at the very least stifle them because you disagree with what they say.

This is the problem with the world.

The Westboro Baptist Church is simply a horrible organization. However, due to our laws and for the sake of the whole, we can't simply get rid of them because doing so would -seem- like an oppressive action and would usher in precedence for other actions even if they may not be justified, even when it would be best for them to not be allowed to do that kind of crap.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 2:46pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

I thought that we had "Freedom of Speech"? Like what NoNameC68 said,

They aren't advocating violence. They aren't threatening people's lives. They aren't rallying people to destroy property. All they're doing is saying hateful things.

I know it might hurt feelings, it is not illegal. They have a right to speak.

Example: If someone from across the street started cussing you out, would you call the police? Would he be thrown in jail? No, he shouldn't, because we all have freedom of speech. That example is similar, isn't it?

Reply to Westboro baptist church (Sign the petition)

You must be logged in to post a reply!