ForumsWEPRWestboro baptist church (Sign the petition)

74 44779
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Not sure if there is a thread on this anywhere but now that it is mandatory to look at a petition in the united states if it has over 25,000 signatures there is a movement to classify the Westboro baptist church as a hate group. This will remove their tax exempt status from the government and overall will help stop the stupid things that they do.

Currently there are over 200,000 signatures but I encourage all of you to sign here.

Now that I've said that, what do you guys even think about this stupid organisation? The things they do I think even normal religious people are against and is just terrible.

• 74 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

If he's taken to court, it should be for conspiring against foreigners.

this line completely slipped past me. sort of the reason why he was taken to court.

can't the same be done whit westboro? they conspire against gays.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

I never said I hate freedom. Why do you assume that? They can say whatever the hell they want but they're not going to be tax exempt because they're a "Religion".

You stated in your original post that this will "overall will help stop the stupid things that they do." meaning you wish to silence - or at the very least stifle them because you disagree with what they say.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

You stated in your original post that this will "overall will help stop the stupid things that they do." meaning you wish to silence - or at the very least stifle them because you disagree with what they say.

This is the problem with the world.

The Westboro Baptist Church is simply a horrible organization. However, due to our laws and for the sake of the whole, we can't simply get rid of them because doing so would -seem- like an oppressive action and would usher in precedence for other actions even if they may not be justified, even when it would be best for them to not be allowed to do that kind of crap.
Mickeyryn
Mickeyryn
276 posts
Shepherd

I thought that we had "Freedom of Speech"? Like what NoNameC68 said,

They aren't advocating violence. They aren't threatening people's lives. They aren't rallying people to destroy property. All they're doing is saying hateful things.

I know it might hurt feelings, it is not illegal. They have a right to speak.

Example: If someone from across the street started cussing you out, would you call the police? Would he be thrown in jail? No, he shouldn't, because we all have freedom of speech. That example is similar, isn't it?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I thought that we had "Freedom of Speech"? Like what NoNameC68 said,

Yes, but when it's just being pointlessly hateful and emotionally harmful, there's a limit. Protesting at funerals, saying people died because they were sinners and what not...

I know it might hurt feelings, it is not illegal. They have a right to speak.

And that's the problem. People have the right to say what they believe, so we can't stop them. Deciding what does and does not have the right to be said is extremely arrogant though and sets precedents though.

If someone from across the street started cussing you out, would you call the police? Would he be thrown in jail? No, he shouldn't, because we all have freedom of speech. That example is similar, isn't it?

You can ignore that pretty easily. What the WBC does is take advantage of tragic situations, accuse the victims, and then try to promote their own bigoted agenda.
Mickeyryn
Mickeyryn
276 posts
Shepherd

I don't approve of that, but...What can I say? It is not illegal, and making it illegal or banning it will just provoke more people to think that speaking out shouldn't be allowed.

Example: *Freedom of Speech is banned*, and (not saying this is gonna happen, but) the current pres. is speaking, and someone yells, that he doesn't like the pres's plan. The man who spoke out gets shot. You know, if they ban Freedom of Speech, our country will be just like Egypt and Syria and Iran, or even North Korea. They speak out? They get shot. Murdered. Never heard of again. Is that what you want? THIS IS AMERICA PEOPLE!!!

(I ain't sayin' what the WBC is sayin' is FINE, but... we are still IN AMERICA PEOPLE!!!!!!

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,774 posts
Chamberlain

We are not suggesting to take away their freedom of speech, just their freedom to not pay taxes because they're a "religious" group.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Why just the Westboro Baptist church then?

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

KKK who demands we use violence against other races

Actually they don't. They used to but they don't officially encourage violence.

PS- I don't agree with them in any way.

Also, regarding the WBC, they're basically immune to any legal action. They are completely legal and protected by the constitution.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

the government can't put that label on whitout violence? hate is more then just violence. if everyone (most) outside westboro thinks they are a hate group why shouldn't the government label them as that aswell?
afterall the government should be the voice of the public.

The government is supposed to protect the people, even the minority.

it doesn't?
because they dont use violence against peanut butter or...?

Okay, if I start a club for everyone who hates peanut butter, and the government labels my club a hate group... you would be okay with that?

If so, I rest my case.

can't the same be done whit westboro? they conspire against gays.

No, they aren't conspiring against gays. They're speaking out against them, but they aren't coming up with ways in which they harm gays, or ways to convince others to harm gays.

Yes, but when it's just being pointlessly hateful and emotionally harmful, there's a limit. Protesting at funerals, saying people died because they were sinners and what not...

It's horrible, but it's their right. Freedom of speech exists to protect unpopular ideas. This freedom does not work off of whether said ideas are true or not.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

No, there is no limit. Hence the first word in "Freedom of speech".
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

It's horrible, but it's their right. Freedom of speech exists to protect unpopular ideas. This freedom does not work off of whether said ideas are true or not.

It's their right to think so and say if asked etc., but I believe it's impeding on the others right of private time and quietude to go disturb a funeral by shouting hateful speeches around. There may not be a limit about one's opinion, but there surely should be a limit about the way to express something.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,774 posts
Chamberlain

@Freakenstein: Because others aren't harassing people at their kids funerals.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

@Freakenstein: Because others aren't harassing people at their kids funerals.

That has no bearing on tax-exempt organizations. You either are or you aren't, and as it stands, religious churches in general are tax-exempt. So why not petition for all if that's what the petition entails? Why target the WBC only? It's so destructive a petition to make the government act upon ONE CHURCH for behavior that is totally irrelevant to the wanted actions.
Mickeyryn
Mickeyryn
276 posts
Shepherd

Well for conspiracy. But not just because someone didn't like what you said.

Showing 16-30 of 74