Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Good Cunclusion Starters

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 4:34pm

keeganp1234

keeganp1234

17 posts

Hello all,

Im almost done with my Catholic High School Admission form (yay!) but I need a good Cunclusion starter. Anything thats different from:
In cunclusion,
To rest my case,
To finish,
and so on and so forth,

Please help!

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 6:29pm

xeano321

xeano321

2,562 posts

Knight

*Ahem*... Umm... Hate to bring this up, but it's spelled conclusion.

I would put "Thank you for your time and consideration"...

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 10:51pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Assuming you're writing an essay of some sort, nothing. Don't use a "starter" at all.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 11:14pm

rafterman

rafterman

623 posts

I don't believe I ever used a "Starter", its entirely unnecessary. The format and content will make it obvious that it is a conclusion.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 2:31am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

I don't believe I ever used a "Starter", its entirely unnecessary

More than unnecessary, it's potentially insulting to the audience. By stating one of those cliched lines you're basically saying that the reader won't realize you're making a conclusion unless you shove that fact in their face.

Also yes, it's conclusion. I would suggest running a spell check.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 2:35am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,068 posts

Knight

Why would you not use a starter? It's good to signal when you want to summarize, restate, strengthen your case, add a final flourish or anecdote, then end off. Arguments need to be structured to add fluidity and coherance after all.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 2:39am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Why would you not use a starter?

I simply don't see a reason to. If your writing is good enough it should be obvious that you're making a conclusion.

It's good to signal when you want to summarize, restate, strengthen your case, add a final flourish or anecdote, then end off.

If you're making a point on the importance of restating something or adding to something, I don't see anything wrong with it. I've always felt though that adding "In conclusion" "to finish" "summarizing" or whatever is pointless and annoying. None of my English teachers have ever advised using one of those lines either and most have directly advised against it.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 2:57am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,068 posts

Knight

To each his own I guess. Seems a blunt and abrupt ending, like jumping off a cliff, without one.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 3:14am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

To each his own I guess.

Perhaps. It depends on the style and purpose of writing too I think. If you're writing APA for example and using headers, having a "starter" is definitely pointless as it's already under the "Conclusion" section.

Seems a blunt and abrupt ending, like jumping off a cliff, without one.

Not at all. Think of any given conclusion you've written, if you take out the starting phrase is it still readily apparent that it's a conclusion? I think it flows better when you don't chop off the end of your paper into another segment. It's more like going up a final slope and coming to a stop imo.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 3:20am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,068 posts

Knight

if you take out the starting phrase is it still readily apparent that it's a conclusion? I think it flows better when you don't chop off the end of your paper into another segment. It's more like going up a final slope and coming to a stop imo.

For essays, I do use conclusion starters. For papers, no.

Reply to Good Cunclusion Starters

You must be logged in to post a reply!