ForumsThe TavernGood Cunclusion Starters

12 2621
keeganp1234
keeganp1234
17 posts
Nomad

Hello all,

Im almost done with my Catholic High School Admission form (yay!) but I need a good Cunclusion starter. Anything thats different from:
In cunclusion,
To rest my case,
To finish,
and so on and so forth,

Please help!

• 12 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

*Ahem*... Umm... Hate to bring this up, but it's spelled conclusion.

I would put "Thank you for your time and consideration"...

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Assuming you're writing an essay of some sort, nothing. Don't use a "starter" at all.

rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

I don't believe I ever used a "Starter", its entirely unnecessary. The format and content will make it obvious that it is a conclusion.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I don't believe I ever used a "Starter", its entirely unnecessary

More than unnecessary, it's potentially insulting to the audience. By stating one of those cliched lines you're basically saying that the reader won't realize you're making a conclusion unless you shove that fact in their face.

Also yes, it's conclusion. I would suggest running a spell check.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Why would you not use a starter? It's good to signal when you want to summarize, restate, strengthen your case, add a final flourish or anecdote, then end off. Arguments need to be structured to add fluidity and coherance after all.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Why would you not use a starter?

I simply don't see a reason to. If your writing is good enough it should be obvious that you're making a conclusion.

It's good to signal when you want to summarize, restate, strengthen your case, add a final flourish or anecdote, then end off.

If you're making a point on the importance of restating something or adding to something, I don't see anything wrong with it. I've always felt though that adding "In conclusion" "to finish" "summarizing" or whatever is pointless and annoying. None of my English teachers have ever advised using one of those lines either and most have directly advised against it.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

To each his own I guess. Seems a blunt and abrupt ending, like jumping off a cliff, without one.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

To each his own I guess.

Perhaps. It depends on the style and purpose of writing too I think. If you're writing APA for example and using headers, having a "starter" is definitely pointless as it's already under the "Conclusion" section.

Seems a blunt and abrupt ending, like jumping off a cliff, without one.

Not at all. Think of any given conclusion you've written, if you take out the starting phrase is it still readily apparent that it's a conclusion? I think it flows better when you don't chop off the end of your paper into another segment. It's more like going up a final slope and coming to a stop imo.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

if you take out the starting phrase is it still readily apparent that it's a conclusion? I think it flows better when you don't chop off the end of your paper into another segment. It's more like going up a final slope and coming to a stop imo.

For essays, I do use conclusion starters. For papers, no.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

For essays, I do use conclusion starters. For papers, no.

What is the difference?

I agree with Kasic. Using a sentence starter to transition from body to conclusion is abrupt and choppy. A skilled writer should be able to do so without one.

However, starters would be fine if one were writing a scientific paper to be submitted for peer review. In a case like that, being as direct as possible is recommendable.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

What is the difference?

Essays aren't that long, 1500-2000 words usually, and split into paragraphs. Scientific papers are more, and are split into sections with headers anyway.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Using a sentence starter to transition from body to conclusion is abrupt and choppy. A skilled writer should be able to do so without one.

Though if you're not a skilled writer, it might come off better with a starter, or else the text will end as one block and the readers will have to figure out themselves where they're at, which is not recommendable.

Nicho is right that in scientific papers you absolutely don't need starters as the structure already makes it crystal clear what is what. Such structures are not found in essays and thus have to be replaced somehow, be it with layout and/or starters/formulations.
Showing 1-12 of 12