ForumsWEPRAnimal Cruelty

52 6084
blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

Do you know how many poor pets are abused every day? A lot. The people who do this really make me angry. I believe we should stop Animal Cruelty for it's wrong. I mean seriously, Intentionally harming or starving a poor defenseless animal. They should do background checks or something on people before they give them pets. This is where you discuss Animal Cruelty and why it's wrong.

• 52 Replies
tegan190
tegan190
798 posts

Everyone, or at least everyone with decent moral are against Animal Cruelty. It's not something that you can just stop, it's illegal but that doesn't stop people from doing it just like it doesn't stop criminals from murdering, stealing and raping innocent people.

This is where you discuss Animal Cruelty and why it's wrong.

Okay, everyone knows why it's wrong there's not really any "discussion" on that. This thread is just gonna be a whole bunch of people who are trying to act sympathetic like yourself on the internet.

Try making a thread that would at least make a discussion or top that can be argued and people can leave their opinion on.
Strop
Strop
10,849 posts

Okay let's use a little imagination. What can we do with this topic to enhance it? Perhaps the OP could have been more specific in scope. But since we're here now, we can at least decide for ourselves what needs to be established before discussion can take place, right?

Let's start with "what constitutes animal cruelty?" I know that the details of this can attract considerable controversy, because people have such a varied understanding of animals to begin with. So start there.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,171 posts

If slaughtering animals in droves for no reason is considered animal cruelty, then PETA should have been put in jail long ago.

Animal Cruelty is the deliberate harming of animals for no purpose, similar to torture in humans.

~~~Darth Caedus

blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

Basically I consider animal cruelty intentionally harming an animal.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
10,143 posts

What if the animal has just destroyed something of mine and I wish to spank it as punishment?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
10,143 posts

Sorry for dp...submitted too early

What if i truly find the animal a threat towards me (due to actions of said animal) or someone I care for?
HahiHa
HahiHa
6,598 posts

They should do background checks or something on people before they give them pets.

Nonsense. What would you check anyway? There's no way of knowing who will harm their pets and who won't. Besides, most don't, so it would just be unnecessarily harassing everyone. You can just penalize those who actually do, and sensibilize people about the correct way to keep a pet.
blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

What if i truly find the animal a threat towards me (due to actions of said animal) or someone I care for?

Well okay. Animal Cruelty Is intentionally harming an animal in any other way than self defense.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,737 posts

Do you eat meat? Or know anyone who does?

By your simplistic definition of the topic at hand and (seemingly) insane logic, then you or anyone you know are guilty of animal cruelty. You may not of actually killed the animal, yet you essentially payed someone else to do so. Which would put a very large percent of the world population in the same circle as people who actively watch and bet at dog/rooster fights.

blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

I eat meat all the time, I'm pretty much just saying Intentionally harming pets unless it's in self defense (Which 98% of the time it's not)

people who actively watch and bet at dog/rooster fights.

Which is a horrible from of animal cruelty.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,737 posts

Then you need to choose your words more carefully
Simply saying "intentionally harm an animal" is nowhere the same as saying "intentionally harming a pet."

You need to better define what points you are supporting. As such...
Does this now mean harming non-pet animals is fine? Or is there a certain line where there is a separation between the two?

Your definition is still far too broad and vague. Narrow down your views or else there are going to be pages of these questions and no discussion.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
10,143 posts

Well okay. Animal Cruelty Is intentionally harming an animal in any other way than self defense.

You ignored my other question

What if the animal has just destroyed something of mine and I wish to spank it as punishment?
tegan190
tegan190
798 posts

I think that spanking a pet, as long it doesn't hurt the animal too bad is just a form of discipline. I don't think that would be classified as animal cruelty, but you never know there's always people who feel differently. *cough* PETA *cough*
Kasic
Kasic
5,671 posts

I think that spanking a pet, as long it doesn't hurt the animal too bad is just a form of discipline.

Spanking is abuse to animals, and children...giving pain as a form of teaching is unnecessary and animals won't understand the reasoning behind it anyways, all they'll know is that you're giving them pain.

but you never know there's always people who feel differently.

There's also people who don't understand psychology. Young children and animals don't have the reasoning faculties that adults do. Spanking a child doesn't teach them that something is bad to do, it teaches them that it's bad to get caught doing it. It doesn't teach them the why behind anything and it also doesn't take into account that they simply might not have known that they did anything wrong to begin with. If you want to argue that you would tell them the whys during/after the spanking, there is no reason for the spanking to have taken place at all. I'm not going to go further on this as it would be derailing...

Define "just" because unless you caught them while they were doing it or having finished it not 3 seconds ago, they aren't going to link any punishment with that particular action. Spanking won't teach them not to do it either, it will just make them hate you.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
10,143 posts

Define "just" because unless you caught them while they were doing it or having finished it not 3 seconds ago, they aren't going to link any punishment with that particular action. Spanking won't teach them not to do it either, it will just make them hate you.

Catching them in the act is fine..if not...showing them their result is quite sufficient. Animals aren't idiotic

Spanking is abuse to animals, and children...giving pain as a form of teaching is unnecessary and animals won't understand the reasoning behind it anyways, all they'll know is that you're giving them pain.

Negative reinforcement. They did something wrong, and a minor amount of pain shows gives a negative association to what they did wrong
Showing 1-15 of 52