Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Mini-Mystery 1. Status: Re-Opened.

Posted Dec 26, '12 at 11:39pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,098 posts

With the Mod's blessing (and permission, because I'm really not sure if this even HAS a section in the forums), I will post my Mini-Mystery. So far I have written two. If this one is popular, I'll post the second, if someone selves it (again, with the Mod's blessing).

I will reward guesses with hints or encouragement. Best of luck!

[SOME VIOLENCE/BLOOD. NO PROFANITY OR LEWD CONTENT. READ AT YOUR DISCRETION]

A Shot in the Dark

MATTHEW ANGEL:ASSASSIN

Angel entered the building 30 minutes late, but as far as he was concerned, he wasn’t late at all. He was a very punctual man. Being exactly on time was second nature to him; an assassin is expected to be. Too early or too late could mean missing a target or being exposed, and, with $10,000 in advance, with another to be paid on completion, he was not about to let either happen.
    The rain beat against the glass door behind him as he took in his surroundings. It was a large Cinema multiplex theatre, with eight theatre rooms and a wide auditorium, preceded by two lines for purchasing tickets and several concession stands with overpriced food. The man he was looking for was in theatre room 7, but the assassin didn’t need directions. He could have walked there with his eyes closed. The path he needed to take had been carefully examined through a series of photographs and a blueprint of the building’s interior, which were resting in a latched briefcase in the passenger seat of his car, a jet-black Mustang GT, nearly invisible in the thick darkness and pouring rain. A sealed case of neatly-folded bills, adding up to $10,000, was also in the car, alongside an empty case molded for a gun.
    The gun, obviously, was with Angel. A hidden pocket had been sewn into the interior of his trench coat, where it was now concealed. He walked smoothly, avoiding any sharp actions that might displace the shape of the weapon. The ticket to the movie was already in his hand, pre-purchased with a credit card that did not belong to him. His eyes, crystal blue and deep, gave nothing away, and he barely glanced at the elderly ticket-taker, who was on the last minutes of his night shift and was not particularly interested in starting a conversation.
    It took him 20 seconds to locate and enter room 7. His target was in the first row, directly in the center. He had a name, but it meant nothing to Angel. His life was worth $20,000. The movie was a new release, an action-packed, star-studded film with high ratings. This meant only one thing: there would be a lot of noise, which would cover up any sound he made, and there wouldn’t be much. He placed himself ten rows behind his target and glanced briefly around the room. Two men in the row in front of him, on the left. A family of three on the front row, and a woman on either side of the target. The theatre was almost empty, but he had expected this. He had checked the number of tickets purchased ahead of time. This would be an easy hit.
    With one hand he unbuttoned the trench coat and with the other he slowly eased the gun out of its holding. It was already loaded with a single round. He wouldn’t need two. Carefully he brought the gun level to the target’s head. A single shot, delivered directly into the spine a few inches below his skull. Holding his breath, Angel lined the barrel up. He waited for a pause in the action, counted to two, and fired.
    The target was killed instantly, his head jerking slightly from the impact and then slumping over. By the time someone noticed the dead man, Angel had re-holstered the gun, slipped out of the theatre and exited the building. The second case of money was resting against the door of his car, and he grabbed it as he climbed in, tossing it onto the other. By the time the police arrived, Angel was already long gone.
    However, Angel did not use a silencer. In fact, he hadn’t added any modifications to the gun whatsoever. No one in the theatre was deaf, and there were two witnesses on either side of the target, yet neither heard the shot nor noticed the blood from the man’s punctured neck until the end of the movie. How did Angel assassinate a man silently in an occupied theatre?

Posted Dec 26, '12 at 11:53pm

SaifurRahman

SaifurRahman

73 posts

The movie made alot of noise, which covered up the sound of the gun.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 12:01am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,098 posts

The movie made alot of noise, which covered up the sound of the gun.

Incorrect.

Hint 1: Note the end of P5: He waited for a pause in the action. In other words, a scene with no gunfire. On top of that, a firearm would have created muzzle flash, and it would have been a dead giveaway in a dark theatre, especially with two men in the row directly in front of him.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 7:35am

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

So, yeah, this is a great idea and you've got my sincere props.

I'm usually terrible at things like this, but, I came up with a few ideas, though, I'm not sure if any will be right:

1) Film was in 3D so people may not have noticed the blood coming out of the man and figured it was part of the effects.

2) The man was sleeping, so if his head was leaning to the side nobody would've noticed.

Other than that, I honestly can't think of anything.
If we don't find it out; when will you tell us?

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 8:47am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,841 posts

Knight

A dart gun, or any other kind of gun was used? Air gun?

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 3:34pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,098 posts

A dart gun, or any other kind of gun was used? Air gun?

Correct. He used a blowgun and a poison-tipped dart.

The clues:
1. Nowhere was the gun described as using bullets, iron sights or a magazine, specifically because it didn't have any.
2. A blowgun fires using only air from the shooter's mouth, which is why Matt held his breath before he fired.
3. A blowgun has no muzzle flash and no bulled casings, and the darts fire at 400 feet per second. Nothing gave away the shot.
4. A dart, only a few inches long and as thick as a pencil, painted flat black, would be practically invisible. The tip is a hypodermic needle and would leave no blood stains.

Thanks for reading! I'm impressed that it was solved by the third guess. I have a second, slightly more difficult MM to post, if anyone wants a second chance.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 3:37pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,098 posts

And to GhostOfHorror:

1) The blood would have come out the front and back of his neck. It would be easy to tell it from blood in the movie, since it could easily have landed on either of the ladies beside him.

2) That was the whole point of killing him in the way that he did: to make it look like he fell asleep. That wasn't exactly a guess..?

If we don't find it out; when will you tell us?

Never. I'll provide clues but not the solution.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 3:39pm

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

Nice work, nicho.

But, yeah, definitely post more.
They're interesting.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 6:28pm

SaifurRahman

SaifurRahman

73 posts

Yeah, you should post more.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 7:04pm

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

419 posts

Hey next time though can you wait a bit so everyone gets a guess? This looked awesome and I really wanted to post my solution.

It's cool anyway. I will revisit for more. :)

Reply to Mini-Mystery 1. Status: Re-Opened.

You must be logged in to post a reply!