ForumsForum GamesStrike or Stealth (RPG)

261 18550
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,747 posts

Note: This is a basic fight, loot, inventory RPG. No magic, no superpowers, no unnecessary stats. Find a gun, kick some butt and survive. If you want a good, simple conflict RPG, this is it.

It's been five month since you've seen sunlight. Your cell is concrete top to bottom with a single barred door and a barred window facing another cell. There are three others, soldiers like you, and they're dying as slowly as you are. All you know is your name, your life and your remaining strength.

For weeks the guards have ignored you. They have provided you with food twice a day and have buried six men, all previous members of your team. They are armed and have never made a mistake. Until today. One of the men faked his death, and the guard was foolish enough to leave the door open when he went to drag him out. He was strangled and his keys and guns were stolen. The prisoner unlocks your cell and speaks theses words:

"We escape this hole today. You can join the three of us and we can shoot our way out, or you can go alone. I will not harm you, but if you come with us, I will give you a gun. So. Strike, or stealth?"

You respond with a single word.
Strike or Stealth:
------

Name:
Class: (Hand-To-Hand, Soldier, Sniper. More information below)
Bio: (Optional. Two or three sentences will be fine)

Distribute 10 pts between these three stats:
Speed:
Strength:
Instinct:
---
Inventory:
Weapons:
Weapon Skill:

NOTE: Each class holds a bonus.
H2H (hand-to-hand): +5 Speed, Close-range Weapon Skill (knives, pistols, etc)
Soldier: +5 Strength, Medium-range Weapon Skill (rifles, submachine guns, etc)
Sniper: +5 Instinct, Long-range Weapon Skill (sniper rifles, compound bows/crossbows, etc)

The "Weapons Skill" increases your ability to use each weapon. A H2H would have difficulty handling a launcher, while a Soldier would have difficulty throwing a large knife. Your skill will improve over time.

---

STRIKE: The soldier in front of you nods and hands you a weapon from the guard. "He was carrying an AK-47, a Makarov pistol, and a combat knife. "Which of these can you use best?"

STEALTH: The soldier in front of you nods. "The hallway has only one exit. The guards could be anywhere, and we do not have much time before they come looking for this one. I will give you five minutes. You can take the keys he was carrying."

• 261 Replies
PwnajLeadah981
PwnajLeadah981
576 posts

Name: Zera Masamuno
Class: Hand-To-Hand
Speed: 7
Strength: 6
Instinct: 4
---
Clothing: Guard Uniform
Inventory: ID card (2), Guard's key set, lighter, deck of cards
Weapons: Combat knife (3), Makarov (unloaded), AK-47 (Scoped)
Weapon Skill: Short-range

END Chapter 1. You have reached the stairs and advanced. I will auto-start Chapter 2 for you now.

You and the other three men move quietly up the steel staircase. It makes two 45-degree turns to the right and ends on an unlocked door. Adam looks through a small window in the door, then carefully opens it and slides it open.

You find yourself in a small, square room. Everything is lighter. The ceiling is white, the walls are white and the floor is some kind of stainless white tile. The room is empty, except for a punchcard table on the right wall. A door is on the opposite wall.
-----------
I check the punchcard table.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,747 posts

Name: Brian "Black-belt" Smith
Class: Hand-to-hand
Bio: Brian used to be a master of martial-arts before he was thrown in here. Obviously, he's great at close-range fighting, but despises guns for their over-powerness.
Speed: EXTREME (11)
Strength: 5
Instinct: 6
---
Clothing: Black-Tac Uniform
Inventory: Thin Steel Wire, MP5K Magazine (2) ,G17 Semiautomatic pistol Magazine (2),Smoke Grenade (1), Steel choke cable with handles (1) Small Tactical flashlight (1), ID card, Guard's key set
Weapons: MP5K, 25 rnd (Silenced) (Red Dot sight) (Sling)
G17 Semiautomatic pistol, 12 rnd (Silenced) (Laser)
Weapon Skill: Close Range

(Okay, I'm not giving you this one.There are at least a dozen guards here. Guns and magazines are made of metal. They are noisy. You can't unload every single AK-47 "silently". Plus, you are already loaded with noisy, metal weapons and gear. You can't carry 12 more AK-47 mags).

--------

Name: Zera Masamuno
Class: Hand-To-Hand
Speed: 7
Strength: 6
Instinct: 4
---
Clothing: Guard Uniform
Inventory: ID card (2), Guard's key set, lighter, deck of cards
Weapons: Combat knife (3), Makarov (unloaded), AK-47 (Scoped)
Weapon Skill: Short-range

You walk over and inspect the punchcard table. It's nothing more than a box on the road and a ledger. Guards are required to put their names on it when they're on duty, along with their check-in and -out times. You ignore their names and focus on the times. The last two guards checked in at 10 AM. That would be the two you met (and killed) on the stairs. They were scheduled to check out at 12 (noon). You realized that the other two guards, the office guard and the food guard, were supposed to check out by now. It won't be long before they're missed.

You put yourback to the wall and move up to the door. It's a set of doors, swinging open to let two people in side-by-side. The top half of them are tinted windows. On the wall, to the right of the doors, is a familiar sight: an ID Card reader. Through the window you see a guard standing to the right of the door, facing the opposite wall.

theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
906 posts

Bio: Brian used to be a master of martial-arts before he was thrown in here. Obviously, he's great at close-range fighting, but despises guns for their over-powerness.
---
Inventory: Thin Steel Wire, MP5K Magazine (2) ,G17 Semiautomatic pistol Magazine (2),Smoke Grenade (1), Steel choke cable with handles (1) Small Tactical flashlight (1), ID card, Guard's key set

(Yeah, I guess it was a bit unrealistic. Clever, was trying for a +1 to instinct, but okay.)

I decide against fooling the guards and sneak over to the table to peak at it.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,747 posts

---

(Clever is one thing. Unrealistic is another. Think before you act!)

You work your way past the guards, keeping your back to the wall. The opposite wall has several vertical slits in it acting as windows, like the ones in the other rooms. You reach an open doorway and step inside.

This room contains a massive rack of non-perishable food, a few microwaves, a large freezer, a washing machine, a dryer, a dish cleaner, several cabinets, two lockers and two steel picnic-style tables. One is bare. The other has...(wait for it)...a large map, taped to the surface.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/blizzy1/image_zps87c5b137.jpg

+1 Strength for finding the map (map bonus).

theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
906 posts

---

Hmm, interesting! The Map really helps. I raid the fridge and make myself a cold sandwich (Not using the microwave because it might wake up the guards) out of anything and everything tasty I can find. Mmmm...Foood....After that, I make my way through the rooms I already cleared, heading for the radio room, prepared to shoot the guard once I see him.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,747 posts

---

You sneak past the sleeping guards, through the doors, through the ID card door, across the room, through the next ID card door, past the elevator doors, and up to the next door. You look through to check on the guard.

The guard is dead, crumpled to the floor and missing his weapon.

BlazingZelda
BlazingZelda
877 posts

Name:Gary
Class:Sniper
Bioon't remember a thing

Speed:4
Strength:2
Instinct:4
---
Inventory:
Weapons:
Weapon Skill:

Strike. I take the AK-47. (I don't really know anything about different types of guns but i'm guessing it's more effective for me than a knife or pistol)

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,747 posts

Name:Gary
Class:Sniper
Bioon't remember a thing

Speed:4
Strength:2
Instinct:4
---
Inventory:
Weapons:
Weapon Skill:

Dude, I'm on page 21. Four other people are halfway through Chapter 2. Can't let you in. However, there will be an epic sequel, and I'm going to set it up so anyone can join without being confused (yeah, I'm that good).

If I remember, I'll send you a message when the second one comes out. Won't be until everyone else finishes this one. For future reference, don't join an RPG if it's past Page 5 or so, unless the OP permits. I can't let four other people down by starting a new game when they're more than halfway through.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,747 posts

Also, do some research! Don't say "I don't know the difference between these two guns." Google them. Spend 10 seconds on research. It's a realistic RPG so all the guns and items will be accurate. An AK-47 is a 30-rnd Assault Rifle. You only have 2 Strength, so you're going to have trouble using it.

Also, add in your bonus points! You would have gotten a +5 bonus on your Weapon Skill (which you also left blank). Always read ALL the instructions and fill in the bonuses you get, because if I forget (I'm running several people), you will miss out on a bonus and it'll affect your story line.

BlazingZelda
BlazingZelda
877 posts

ok thanks.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,747 posts

No problem. I try to keep things as solid as possible, because it's legitimately difficult to keep all elements of a good RPG under control. Do yourself a favor and don't kick one off because you've got a good "initial" idea. It takes some work to establish everything.

If you're interested, a new fantasy RPG just opened up. I joined (and whined too much, dangit), so join it for the added experience. And read the tagged "How to" posts by the Moderators at the top of the Forum Games section.

READ THEM.

And to everyone else: Chapter 3 is ready! Knuckle up and get to it!

theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
906 posts

---

Huh. Guess the other guys aren't dead. I peak into the radio room to see if they're there, then enter. If they're inside, I say "Don't shoot, it's a fellow escapee!"

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,747 posts

---

You unlock the Radio Tower door with an ID card and step inside. It's relatively dark, but there are a few computer monitors in from of two swivel chairs. The center of the room is down a few stairs, filled by a thick steel tower than clearly extends above the ceiling. It's surrounded by a cylinder of bulletproof glass, but even if you could get through it you could break the tower.

A man is tapping rapidly on the keyboard as lines of code and images fly across the monitor. You take a step inside and hear a click. Someone is pushing a rifle into the back of your neck.

"A fellow what-now? Who the heck are you?"

The man behind you lowers his gun, grabs your shoulder and turns you around. He's an American, muscular, with short blonde hair, beard stubble and cold blue eyes. "Yakov. It's what's-his-face. Where'd you find all this gear??"

A third man stands up from behind a rail, holding an AK-47. "It is! I don't suppose you truly remember us. We only met briefly before we were thrown in this place. I am Yakov. The man who almost killed you is Adam, and this is Lupe."

The man at the computer looks at you for less than a second, then goes back to typing. "Hope you at least brought me a decent rifle. These AKs are trash."

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,747 posts

-To all players-

Heads-up! I made a thread in the Art section called "Matt's Snap-Sketch", where I take suggestions and draw a quick black-and-white sketch. Got an RPG or video game character stuck in your head but you can't draw them? I'll give it a shot. Read the rules and send the ideas!

-Matt

theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
906 posts

---

"Nice to see you guys again. While I didn't bring anything besides my own gear, I can tell you exactly where I found my stuff." I explain to them about the false wall back in B1, then hand them the key I used back then. "If you want, you can sprint down there, upgrade your stuff and get back, shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes." I wait for their decision.

Showing 196-210 of 261