Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 11:27am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Oh, never mind. It flew into space. Goodbye, image.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 12:34pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

I don't even understand what manly's going on about, evolution in no way encompasses science as a whole, it's just the cornerstone of modern biology.

Most people against evolution have some common standings.

1) They don't understand what a scientific theory actually is. They believe a "theory" to be something anyone can spout off.
2) Religious background which tells them that the world was created.
3) Selective application of logic.
4) General disinformation about what evolution actually states and covers.

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 3:09am

Getoffmydangle

Getoffmydangle

148 posts

Lol, @Palpatine, while its admirable that you collected those links, I don't think that people who oppose evolution came about those views by doing a lot of reading!   Like most of these threads, it seems to be a couple poorly spelled and articulated posts that espouse either misguided or willful ignorance, followed by about a dozen well-thought out, reasoned responses.  The problem is, none of the former ever seem to stick around long enough to absorb anything.  Hence my assumption that they maintain their views by not doing a lot of continuing education or voluntary academic endeavors such as reading.

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 5:27am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

1) They don't understand what a scientific theory actually is. They believe a "theory" to be something anyone can spout off.
2) Religious background which tells them that the world was created.
3) Selective application of logic.
4) General disinformation about what evolution actually states and covers.

Makes me want to say You are the result of 2.5 million years of evolutionary success. ACT LIKE IT

Lol, @Palpatine, while its admirable that you collected those links, I don't think that people who oppose evolution came about those views by doing a lot of reading!   Like most of these threads, it seems to be a couple poorly spelled and articulated posts that espouse either misguided or willful ignorance, followed by about a dozen well-thought out, reasoned responses.  The problem is, none of the former ever seem to stick around long enough to absorb anything.  Hence my assumption that they maintain their views by not doing a lot of continuing education or voluntary academic endeavors such as reading.

The ineffective hit-n-run used by those who do not understand a topic but feel an urge to lay siege to the logical.
Still, why is ManlyMan arguing? Surely he's not devoutly religious?

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 1:53pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

Makes me want to say You are the result of 2.5 million years of evolutionary success. ACT LIKE IT

You are the result of 3.5 billion years of evolution. ACT LIKE IT!

Christianity isn't the only religious belief evolution has o face down.

Not sure exactly how this ties in, but I just came across this article and wanted to share and this thread seemed like the most fitting.

Muslims engage in quest to understand evolution

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 3:02pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

3.5? The original meme says 4, but isn't the world only 4 billion years old? I said 2.5 million because that's when homo sapiens effectively started evolving, but I may be wrong on that front.

As for the link, huzzah! At least some people can acknowledge fact while not throwing a theory into the Plains of Malproportion.

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 3:11pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

3.5? The original meme says 4, but isn't the world only 4 billion years old?

Earth is around 4.1 billion years old, sun 4.5 or such. Life is estimated to have started forming around 3.5 billion years ago after the Earth had cooled and there were oceans.

I said 2.5 million because that's when homo sapiens effectively started evolving, but I may be wrong on that front.

2.5 million would still be fairly modern homo sapiens. I think it's been dated that we "branched off" from a common ancestor somewhere around 180 million years ago.

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 3:14pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

I think it's been dated that we "branched off" from a common ancestor somewhere around 180 million years ago.

Bleh. I don't even know where I pulled this number from. Actual number is like 7-8 million years ago.

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 3:18pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

3.5? The original meme says 4, but isn't the world only 4 billion years old?

The world is about 4.5 billion years old. 3.5 billion years is a rounded time. I think it might actually be closer to 3.8 billion years for more precision.

I said 2.5 million because that's when homo sapiens effectively started evolving, but I may be wrong on that front.

The genus homo evolved about 2.5 million years ago. (With homo habilis, I think.) Homo sapien has been around for about 200,000 years. Give or take 30-50 thousand years it would seem.

Though the statement of being a product of evolution we would have to go all the way back to the start of the evolutionary process which would take us back to the first forms of life.

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 3:58pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Though the statement of being a product of evolution we would have to go all the way back to the start of the evolutionary process which would take us back to the first forms of life.

Naturally, but our species as an extremely intelligent one, above that of our primates, cannot be overtly old. But I suppose the original meme makes more sense if you look at the entirety of evolution.

Reply to Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

You must be logged in to post a reply!