Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

Posted Jan 12, '13 at 9:03pm

Carnage1995

Carnage1995

95 posts

Yes, there's evidence for evolution, there isn't for creationism.

Posted Jan 12, '13 at 11:46pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

Yes, there's evidence for evolution, there isn't for creationism.

In a Creationists mind...the world and us being here is their "evidence"

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 3:56am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,066 posts

Absolutely. These things make complete sense when you've been raised into them. I was taught about evolution when I was nine (or maybe ten) and then read The God Delusion at age eleven, so I know a little about evolution. I was an agnostic before that, and I'm a full-fledged atheist now. I think that if schools teach RE, they have to teach evolution too. Give the kids a little perspective.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 5:28am

Deth666

Deth666

670 posts

Isn't knowledge power? No, keep them in the closet and shun knowledge that's the way to go? I think children should be taught everything. I don't think that they should be taught what to think. "Oh no! They are teaching children about a subject I don't believe in." I mean if we are going to accommodate creationists, are we gonna accommodate holocaust deniers as well? It's a slippery slope, my friend. I was taught creationism and evolution as well as the whole we were put here by aliens as an experiment theory. A few years later, I was even taught other religions' creation stories. Teach everything and let the kids decide. Kids aren't stupid and if they are it won't matter what you teach them cause they'd be too dumb to understand it anyway.

Posted Jan 15, '13 at 6:47pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 8:17pm

SteveeXb

SteveeXb

485 posts

I think it would be good to teach both, and not only have one side of the story.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 9:06pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

I think it would be good to teach both, and not only have one side of the story.

One side is just made up fiction while the other is based on evidence. Do you really think both are equally valid?

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 9:10pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

Adding on to what Mage said, it's not even one side of the story. There are many different religious accounts of creation. Unless you are also advocating that we teach the thousands of other creation stories, you're just being a hypocrite.

Creationism does not belong in science class. It is not science.

Posted Jan 17, '13 at 4:48am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Church is for creationism and its ilk. School is for learning and seeking truth. If you don't want your beliefs questioned, don't send your child to school.

Posted Jan 17, '13 at 5:40pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

If you don't want your beliefs questioned, don't send your child to school.

I thought the standard for that was sticking fingers in one's ears and singing Amazing Grace.

That, or beating the non-believers into submission.

Church is for creationism and its ilk. School is for learning and seeking truth.

This. You don't see atheists (well, not that I'm aware of) petitioning the government to have churches teach evolution. It's an entirely different subject.

Reply to Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

You must be logged in to post a reply!