Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 9:16pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution. Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution. It goes against their beliefs. They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs. Do you think that it should be taught?

Well that's like a school telling you that you must be "Liberal" or "Conservative". It is basically going against the freedom of religion. (Note: LIberal and Conservative aren't religions, I'm just giving an example) I mean the parents don't want their kids to believe something that the kid doesn't believe.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 9:39pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Well that's like a school telling you that you must be "Liberal" or "Conservative". It is basically going against the freedom of religion. (Note: LIberal and Conservative aren't religions, I'm just giving an example) I mean the parents don't want their kids to believe something that the kid doesn't believe.

Except it isn't like that at all, because evolution isn't something you "believe" in. It's not a viewpoint or a controversy. It's science, plain and simple, and everyone who's on the "other side" of it would do well to come to their senses and stop being wrong.
It's not going against the freedom of religion because you don't have the right to your own facts or your own science.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 9:43pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,566 posts

It is basically going against the freedom of religion.

Religion has nothing to do with facts or science, sorry. Nor is any religion being oppressed by evolution being taught.

I mean the parents don't want their kids to believe something that the kid doesn't believe.

You don't get to choose what is an is not "real" in the world, unlike with religion. Unless you can show proof that evolution is not real (you'd probably win the Nobel Prize) you have no reason to protest it being taught in school.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 9:55pm

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

You don't get to choose what is an is not "real" in the world, unlike with religion. Unless you can show proof that evolution is not real (you'd probably win the Nobel Prize) you have no reason to protest it being taught in school.

Well the parents don't want their kids to believe Evolution, since it goes against what their religion says. Also Evolution is a scientific theory. And didn't they say something about those "Missing Links" I'm not saying either of us are right, I'm just saying that it hasn't been fully proved, Creation hasn't been PROVEN either though.

Religion has nothing to do with facts or science, sorry. Nor is any religion being oppressed by evolution being taught.

Yes but the scientific lesson goes against what the religion says so technically it is being oppressed. If they taught about both evolution and creation then let the kid pick what they believe it would be fair though.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 10:19pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,971 posts

I'm just saying that it hasn't been fully proved

As others have stated earlier,
"A theory in science is the closest to proof you can get short of mathematical fact."
Theories don't grow up to be facts. Gravity, cell theory, germ theory, relativity, etc are "still just theories".

If they taught about both evolution and creation then let the kid pick what they believe

Which version(s) of creation? Judeo-Christian? Norse? Greek? Native American? Egyptian? They're all equally groundless.

Well the parents don't want their kids to believe Evolution, since it goes against what their religion says.

If their religion were true, what would they have to fear? Would it not brightly shine through?

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 10:41pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,566 posts

Well the parents don't want their kids to believe Evolution, since it goes against what their religion says.

That's nice. Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that evolution -is- fact and that all the kids, including those whose parent's don't want them to learn evolution, are there for knowledge.

Also Evolution is a scientific theory.

Yes it is. So is gravity.

And didn't they say something about those "Missing Links"

The term missing link is a misnomer, a very misleading one. It assumes that there are a, definite points of change during speciation (there aren't) b, that all transitional forms of all animals will have left fossils, and c, that we have found every fossil that exists.

Tl:dr, missing links are things Creationists who don't understand evolution love to talk about that only makes them look silly.

I'm just saying that it hasn't been fully proved,

Yes, it has. That's why over 99.99% of the scientific community accepts evolution as fact. I'm NOT exaggerating when I say over 99.99%. It literally is that much. Only the die-hard creationists in the science world who assume that the literal interpretation of the bible is right, and thus evolution wrong, say otherwise.

Yes but the scientific lesson goes against what the religion says so technically it is being oppressed.

That's bull. Religion isn't being oppressed because factual information is being taught. That's like arguing that a lie is truth and that you're being malicious by pointing out the lie.

If they taught about both evolution and creation then let the kid pick what they believe it would be fair though.

Evolution and Creationism ARE NOT EQUAL in views. Creationism is not science. It has no proof. It has many different forms. It does not belong in science class.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 10:56pm

Squidbears

Squidbears

652 posts

Yes, it has. That's why over 99.99% of the scientific community accepts evolution as fact. I'm NOT exaggerating when I say over 99.99%. It literally is that much. Only the die-hard creationists in the science world who assume that the literal interpretation of the bible is right, and thus evolution wrong, say otherwise.

Thought I'd provide a source to this claim
[url=http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution#section_1]
I'd also just like to say that the notion of evolution not being taught in schools is completely ridiculous.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 10:58pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

Yes but the scientific lesson goes against what the religion says so technically it is being oppressed.

Are you really talking about religion, science and oppression in the same sentence in that context? Oh boy. I can almost taste the irony.

I'm just saying that it hasn't been fully proved,

Read a good majority of the previous page. That ought to make things clear. If not, then the case is hopeless.

If they taught about both evolution and creation then let the kid pick what they believe it would be fair though.

So should we allow kids and parents to decide that 'science' which adheres strictly to the beliefs of Pastafarianism is a valid choice? So it would be fine to teach young, impressionable minds that The Flying Spaghetti Monster holds everything down to earth with its infinite strands of pasta?
No, yeah. You're right. That sounds totally legit. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 10:59pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,566 posts

Link Fix

You forgot the [/url] and the words between the ] [ brackets.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 12:05am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

If a belief is threatened by facts I have to wonder just how worth while that belief is.

Also Evolution is a scientific theory.

For the umpteenth time theory doesn't mean wild guess. It has been verified many times by different people independent of each other.

Theory; A scientific explanation of related observations or events based on hypotheses and verified multiple times by different independent researchers.

Is there a reason why this explanation and definition is being constantly and blatantly ignored?

Reply to Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

You must be logged in to post a reply!