ForumsWEPRIs it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

364 121039
shortstopkid123
shortstopkid123
20 posts
Nomad

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution. Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution. It goes against their beliefs. They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs. Do you think that it should be taught?

Notes:
Lets try not point out certain religions. I am saying creationalists for a reason.

• 364 Replies
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

There's a chance, but I thought I could at least believe my own teachers. Now I know not to. Thanks man.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

My teachers all said evolution is bad, because i go to a private catholic schools. Therefore, I cannot relate to you commoners. I'm done with this topic.

And that is the problem. You go to a private school, where anyone can be teacher and say whatever they want. I have more than enough scientific formation to be a biology teacher. Take it from me, evolution is at least as real as anything else you learn in science school. If you don't believe in it, you have no reason to believe in physics or chemistry as well.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I believe in evolution, to an extent. When it comes to how we were created, then evolution is not even a question for me.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

When it comes to how we were created, then evolution is not even a question for me.

Evolution has nothing to do with the start of life. Only the development of it. Though I'm sensing here you mean humans *poof* onto earth 6000 years ago.

If you accept evolution but are a creationist, that means you subscribe to the deceptive God argument? He made everything to trick us into not believing in him? All the evidence we have points to 13.77 billion year old universe, 4.5 billion year old earth, and hundreds of millions year old fossils.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

No, I mean God made them. Evolution says 'oof' the earth came, perfectly formed globe, from an explosion. Catholicism says 'oof' a supreme being created it in perfect form.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Evolution says 'oof' the earth came, perfectly formed globe, from an explosion.

Evolution says absolutely none of that.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Therefore, I cannot relate to you commoners. I'm done with this topic.

Commoners? Oh...I didn't realize we were talking to royalty.
/sarcasm

No...no it doesn't. Maybe you should try and read Kasic's explanation directly above your post
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Nope.

Start of the universe: explained by the big bang theory.

Formation of planets: astrophysics in relation to the big bang.

How did life start: explained by the theory of abiogenesis.

How does life behave/evolve: explained by the theory of evolution.

The theory of evolution takes the existence of life as granted. The theory of evolution is only about how life behaves once it exists. It has nothing to do with its origins.

The theory of abiogenesis tries to explain how organic life started from anorganic molecules. This is another matter altogether.

Agree now that, if not abiogenesis, at least evolution should be taught?
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

sorry, i meant science

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

sorry, i meant science

...where?
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Um, here? on earth? THE BIG BANG THEORY!

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Um, here? on earth? THE BIG BANG THEORY!

I mean where in your sentence did you mean science? With your statement alone..it makes absolutely no sense..lest you are saying that you either meant to place it somewhere in a sentence or a sentence should have science instead of another word.

Don't try to ****ing abase me.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

sorry, i meant science

I know what you mean, although that is not really an answer to any previous post.
So here we are again with the deceitful god argument. Science is describing the world, based on observed facts; the theory of evolution is only so called because it is a theory trying to explain the evolution we do observe. The theory of gravity is only so called because it tries to explain the gravity we do observe. Medicaments can only be found thanks to chemistry, biology, and usually also processes involving evolution (bacterial resistances etc..).

So basically, everything just looks like what science describes. So god is actually a really mean trickster and a decceiver. Wait, don't you people normally say that Satan put fossils there to deceive us? Now it turns out it was god. A Hurra for consistency!
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

My teachers all said evolution is bad

My teachers openly reinforced belief in leprechauns and other mythical things. Just because a teacher says it doesn't make it true.

perfectly formed globe

You realize the earth isn't a perfect sphere, right?

Catholicism says 'oof' a supreme being created it in perfect form.

Your own statement about a perfectly spherical earth is enough to demonstrate that as false.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

by perfect, I mean unnaturally round. Is this really what your turning against me?! lol pathetic. so what shape is it, cubic?

Showing 256-270 of 364