ForumsWEPRIs it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

364 121043
shortstopkid123
shortstopkid123
20 posts
Nomad

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution. Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution. It goes against their beliefs. They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs. Do you think that it should be taught?

Notes:
Lets try not point out certain religions. I am saying creationalists for a reason.

• 364 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

by perfect, I mean unnaturally round.

What do you mean "unnaturally round"? You act like that isn't how it is supposed to be.
The fact that it is round is natural.

Now..if you mean the fact that it isn't a perfect sphere is what makes it perfect..then that makes absolutely no sense..as it not being a perfect sphere eliminates its chance at perfection.

so what shape is it, cubic?

/facepalm
No..but it is by no means a &quoterfectly formed globe"..since it isn't a perfect sphere
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

by perfect, I mean unnaturally round. Is this really what your turning against me?! lol pathetic. so what shape is it, cubic?

It is more of an oblate spheroid shaped potato shape. Even rain drops are closer to the perfect sphere, and you know why? Physics.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Sorry for DP, but I thought I might add on a bit to the &quothysics" part.

It's really just fluid dynamics, hence the reference to rain drops:

"Every planet began its existence in an entirely fluid state;"
wikipedia on planets

Scientific American on why are planets round

KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I cannot believe your saying the earth isn't round. I used to think it was flat, but definitely not potato-shaped. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT...GOODNIGHT!

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I cannot believe your saying the earth isn't round.

He was exaggerating. It's round, yes, but the height/width dimensions are not the same. It's something around 69 kilometers wider than taller, due to the rotational forces. (An easy demonstration of this property is spinning a waterballoon and watching how the water goes out to the sides)

The equator is also thicker, like scar tissue around it. Do you have a globe? Go feel around the equator, they make them raised to simulate that.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

by perfect, I mean unnaturally round. Is this really what your turning against me?! lol pathetic. so what shape is it, cubic?

The earth is an oblate spheroid.

Do you understand why the Earth, planets, and stars are all rounded?

You stated that Catholics believe a supreme being created everything in their spherical form, as if to suggest that there is no reason for said objects to be round otherwise.

So why are certain objects in space spheroids?

Surely, if Earth did somehow exist without God, it would look more like an asteroid than a spheroid, right? The Earth would just be a clump of mass being pulled around the sun, wouldn't it?

http://i44.tinypic.com/5xiyya.jpg

So what would happen if we took a liquid, such as water, and put it in a zero gravity environment?* One might think it would form a random shape. Let's find out.

* Note: For sake of argument, we're assuming the zero gravity environment is not a vacuum - otherwise the water would freeze.

Video of water in zero gravity.

The water formed a sphere. Why is that? All matter forms some level of a gravitational pull. The matter that makes up the water will pull into each other until it forms a spherical shape. Why spherical? It's the only shape in which the matter is evenly distributed.

But why are we comparing Earth to Water? The Earth, unlike asteroids, is not completely solid. Most of the Earth's core is liquid, this allowed Earth's mass to form a spherical shape.

So Earth is a sphere? Well, not exactly. Because the Earth is spinning, it bulges slightly as it nears the equator. Even at that, Earth is not a perfect oblate spheroid.

Sure, you can argue that God's the one who created the laws of nature, therefore he's the reason the Earth is round. However, you can NOT argue that the earth is round in spite of the laws of nature, as if it's some sort of miracle. The shape of the Earth complies with nature, it doesn't defy it.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Good point, I actually did learn something here. Goodnight

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

There's a chance, but I thought I could at least believe my own teachers. Now I know not to. Thanks man.

It's not really a matter of who says it but rather what evidence they can bring to support what they are saying.

Before you get to it the Bible isn't evidence but a book of claims requiring evidence.

No, I mean God made them. Evolution says 'oof' the earth came, perfectly formed globe, from an explosion. Catholicism says 'oof' a supreme being created it in perfect form.

You seem to be constantly trying to conflate several theories into one. Is his what you were taught about evolution?

If you wish to learn about evolution for your self here is something to get you started.
http://mindofmage.blogspot.com/2013/03/evolution-bomb.html

I would recommend starting with this link first.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/evo_02

At least then you can be arguing against what evolution actually says.

I cannot believe your saying the earth isn't round. I used to think it was flat, but definitely not potato-shaped.

That's a good reaction. It would be better if you also applied it to your religious teachings as well. Let me stress that last part, AS WELL. You were presented with new information an you didn't just accept it out right. Do this with every piece of information you are told and only accept something once sufficient evidence is presented, demonstrating what is being told to you.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I will take it into my range of beliefs and theories.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I will take it into my range of beliefs and theories.

If that was a reply to what I was saying, Excellent! The next step after getting use to question is learning how to fact check.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Yes it was in response to you. You seem to be the only one making points revolving around natural facts, rather than those made by man.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Yes it was in response to you. You seem to be the only one making points revolving around natural facts, rather than those made by man.

You didn't need to proove you never looked at our links, we already knew that..
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

KnightDeclan, want to know the only difference between what we just told you about the earth's shape and evolution? The name we call that field of science. Evolution is as much of a process as gravity is. They're both scientific theories, in fact.

Evolution is the name we give the process for organisms changing. The theory describes how these changes take place. That's all evolution really is.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Ur all just jealous cuz magegraywolf is a better teacher XD

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Why would we be jealous of someone whom we have learnt much from?

Showing 271-285 of 364