Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

Posted May 6, '13 at 11:52pm

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

Wow Sal, that sounds like a really horrible way to teach biology. As Kasic says, the difference is that they aren't two equal ways of looking at the world. One is science and one isn't. Talking about creation isn't being fair, it's a waste of class time.

Posted May 7, '13 at 12:41am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

"true" evolution (not sure what the actual term is..but the idea of evolution without a god)

That's just called evolution.

and creationist evolution (again, not sure what the term is..but the idea of evolution being a creation of a god who created us).

Theistic evolution.

but then the rest of the time he makes an argument that because we don't have all the answers to evolution, it must be god.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/946990_591827480836329_1709061688_n.png

Posted May 7, '13 at 3:02am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

That's just called evolution.

I've heard Darwinian/Naturalistic Evolution, but I guess the qualifiers are out of date.

Theistic evolution

Usually they call it Intelligent Design now, because they want to say "something/someone did it" without directly claiming a specific god.

Posted May 7, '13 at 3:33am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,196 posts

I've heard Darwinian/Naturalistic Evolution, but I guess the qualifiers are out of date.

The original was just called Rock, but now there's Hard Rock and Punk Rock which have their own spin of the style but isn't true to the original.

Usually they call it Intelligent Design now, because they want to say "something/someone did it" without directly claiming a specific god.

They gave it a fancy name to sound scientific, but it's pseudo-science. They are still claiming a superpower created everything, they just don't specify who. They don't test their hypotheses and observations. And certainly not under objective, peer-reviewed sources.

Posted May 7, '13 at 3:39am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

I just watched Intelligent Design On Trial. It was a good watch.

Posted May 7, '13 at 3:33pm

MRWalker82

MRWalker82

3,874 posts

so glad to see that, even after months away from actively participating in the forums that the same old debates rage on XD

aaaaand... just wanted to say that there really is no "true" (or w/e) evolution debate. The issue that many theists are attacking in their statements are not based on evolution but are directed at abiogenesis, which they seem to not understand at all. However that is where they insert their patent "god started it all" statements so they don't like complete fools trying to disprove evolution while still managing to insert their particular flavor of deity in the equation.

Posted May 7, '13 at 5:27pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

so glad to see that, even after months away from actively participating in the forums that the same old debates rage on XD

To be honest, most of the members active in this section are atheists who accept evolution. There's not really much debate between evolutionists and creationists. We're just bored. : (

Posted May 7, '13 at 5:28pm

toemas

toemas

315 posts

Yes, evolution theory should be taught in the school system, along with creation! If you have a separate class for both theories then you (or in other cases your parents) could decide!

is it that hard to comprehend???

Posted May 7, '13 at 5:35pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

Yes, evolution theory should be taught in the school system, along with creation! If you have a separate class for both theories then you (or in other cases your parents) could decide!

is it that hard to comprehend???

Creationism is not a theory. Therefore, it would be wrong for schools to teach it as such. It doesn't belong in science class, nor a class of it's own, because it isn't science.

Posted May 7, '13 at 5:57pm

toemas

toemas

315 posts

Evolution is not proven either should it be taught? Yes, I know that most of creationism is based on faith but evolution is not rock hard either.

Reply to Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

You must be logged in to post a reply!