Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

Posted May 11, '13 at 1:14pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,727 posts

Knight

Personally I was more interested in addressing his arguments for people on the side line who either might be questioning their views or wouldn't know what to say if faced with these arguments.

True that. Well then maybe I'll also add something in.. I just read the essay by Theodosius Dobzhansky, "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution". Dude was a famous geneticist and evolutionary biologist, and a self-proclaimed creationist and evolutionist. Two paragraphs are especially relevant for the topic here:

---
"One of the early anti-evolutionists, P. H. Gosse, published a book entitled Omphalos ("the Navel"). The gist of this amazing book is that Adam, though he had no mother, was created with a navel, and that fossils were placed by the Creator where we find them now -- a deliberate act on His part, to give the appearance of great antiquity and geologic upheavals. It is easy to see the fatal flaw in all such notions. They are blasphemies, accusing God of absurd deceitfulness. This is as revolting as it is uncalled for."
---
"Let me try to make crystal clear what is established beyond reasonable doubt, and what needs further study, about evolution. Evolution as a process that has always gone on in the history of the earth can be doubted only by those who are ignorant of the evidence or are resistant to evidence, owing to emotional blocks or to plain bigotry. By contrast, the mechanisms that bring evolution about certainly need study and clarification. There are no alternatives to evolution as history that can withstand critical examination. Yet we are constantly learning new and important facts about evolutionary mechanisms."
---

I do certainly not agree with everything he writes in that essay, mainly being atheist and not creationist... but I think his way of seeing things is definitely more appropriate than what we have been reading from our dear KnightDeclan here. You could learn a lesson from Theodosius, buddy.

Posted May 11, '13 at 3:45pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

My teachers all said evolution is bad, because i go to a private catholic schools. Therefore, I cannot relate to you commoners. I'm done with this topic.

Posted May 11, '13 at 4:02pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

My teachers all said evolution is bad, because i go to a private catholic schools.

*Facepalm* So you'll just accept anything told to you, huh. Absolutely no chance they're wrong?

Posted May 11, '13 at 4:07pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

There's a chance, but I thought I could at least believe my own teachers. Now I know not to. Thanks man.

Posted May 11, '13 at 4:08pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,727 posts

Knight

My teachers all said evolution is bad, because i go to a private catholic schools. Therefore, I cannot relate to you commoners. I'm done with this topic.

And that is the problem. You go to a private school, where anyone can be teacher and say whatever they want. I have more than enough scientific formation to be a biology teacher. Take it from me, evolution is at least as real as anything else you learn in science school. If you don't believe in it, you have no reason to believe in physics or chemistry as well.

Posted May 11, '13 at 4:10pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

I believe in evolution, to an extent. When it comes to how we were created, then evolution is not even a question for me.

Posted May 11, '13 at 4:13pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

When it comes to how we were created, then evolution is not even a question for me.

Evolution has nothing to do with the start of life. Only the development of it. Though I'm sensing here you mean humans *poof* onto earth 6000 years ago.

If you accept evolution but are a creationist, that means you subscribe to the deceptive God argument? He made everything to trick us into not believing in him? All the evidence we have points to 13.77 billion year old universe, 4.5 billion year old earth, and hundreds of millions year old fossils.

Posted May 11, '13 at 4:15pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

No, I mean God made them. Evolution says 'poof' the earth came, perfectly formed globe, from an explosion. Catholicism says 'poof' a supreme being created it in perfect form.

Posted May 11, '13 at 4:16pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

Evolution says 'poof' the earth came, perfectly formed globe, from an explosion.

Evolution says absolutely none of that.

Posted May 11, '13 at 4:19pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,090 posts

Therefore, I cannot relate to you commoners. I'm done with this topic.

Commoners? Oh...I didn't realize we were talking to royalty.
/sarcasm

Evolution says 'poof' the earth came, perfectly formed globe, from an explosion.

No...no it doesn't. Maybe you should try and read Kasic's explanation directly above your post

Reply to Is it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

You must be logged in to post a reply!