ForumsWEPRIs it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

364 121100
shortstopkid123
shortstopkid123
20 posts
Nomad

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution. Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution. It goes against their beliefs. They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs. Do you think that it should be taught?

Notes:
Lets try not point out certain religions. I am saying creationalists for a reason.

• 364 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Makes me want to say You are the result of 2.5 million years of evolutionary success. ACT LIKE IT

You are the result of 3.5 billion years of evolution. ACT LIKE IT!

Christianity isn't the only religious belief evolution has o face down.

Not sure exactly how this ties in, but I just came across this article and wanted to share and this thread seemed like the most fitting.

Muslims engage in quest to understand evolution
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

3.5? The original meme says 4, but isn't the world only 4 billion years old? I said 2.5 million because that's when homo sapiens effectively started evolving, but I may be wrong on that front.

As for the link, huzzah! At least some people can acknowledge fact while not throwing a theory into the Plains of Malproportion.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

3.5? The original meme says 4, but isn't the world only 4 billion years old?

Earth is around 4.1 billion years old, sun 4.5 or such. Life is estimated to have started forming around 3.5 billion years ago after the Earth had cooled and there were oceans.

I said 2.5 million because that's when homo sapiens effectively started evolving, but I may be wrong on that front.

2.5 million would still be fairly modern homo sapiens. I think it's been dated that we "branched off" from a common ancestor somewhere around 180 million years ago.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I think it's been dated that we "branched off" from a common ancestor somewhere around 180 million years ago.

Bleh. I don't even know where I pulled this number from. Actual number is like 7-8 million years ago.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

3.5? The original meme says 4, but isn't the world only 4 billion years old?

The world is about 4.5 billion years old. 3.5 billion years is a rounded time. I think it might actually be closer to 3.8 billion years for more precision.

I said 2.5 million because that's when homo sapiens effectively started evolving, but I may be wrong on that front.

The genus homo evolved about 2.5 million years ago. (With homo habilis, I think.) Homo sapien has been around for about 200,000 years. Give or take 30-50 thousand years it would seem.

Though the statement of being a product of evolution we would have to go all the way back to the start of the evolutionary process which would take us back to the first forms of life.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Though the statement of being a product of evolution we would have to go all the way back to the start of the evolutionary process which would take us back to the first forms of life.

Naturally, but our species as an extremely intelligent one, above that of our primates, cannot be overtly old. But I suppose the original meme makes more sense if you look at the entirety of evolution.
Carnage1995
Carnage1995
97 posts
Nomad

Yes, there's evidence for evolution, there isn't for creationism.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Yes, there's evidence for evolution, there isn't for creationism.

In a Creationists mind...the world and us being here is their "evidence"
Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

Absolutely. These things make complete sense when you've been raised into them. I was taught about evolution when I was nine (or maybe ten) and then read The God Delusion at age eleven, so I know a little about evolution. I was an agnostic before that, and I'm a full-fledged atheist now. I think that if schools teach RE, they have to teach evolution too. Give the kids a little perspective.

Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

Isn't knowledge power? No, keep them in the closet and shun knowledge that's the way to go? I think children should be taught everything. I don't think that they should be taught what to think. "Oh no! They are teaching children about a subject I don't believe in." I mean if we are going to accommodate creationists, are we gonna accommodate holocaust deniers as well? It's a slippery slope, my friend. I was taught creationism and evolution as well as the whole we were put here by aliens as an experiment theory. A few years later, I was even taught other religions' creation stories. Teach everything and let the kids decide. Kids aren't stupid and if they are it won't matter what you teach them cause they'd be too dumb to understand it anyway.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer
SteveeXb
SteveeXb
490 posts
Templar

I think it would be good to teach both, and not only have one side of the story.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I think it would be good to teach both, and not only have one side of the story.

One side is just made up fiction while the other is based on evidence. Do you really think both are equally valid?
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Adding on to what Mage said, it's not even one side of the story. There are many different religious accounts of creation. Unless you are also advocating that we teach the thousands of other creation stories, you're just being a hypocrite.

Creationism does not belong in science class. It is not science.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Church is for creationism and its ilk. School is for learning and seeking truth. If you don't want your beliefs questioned, don't send your child to school.

Showing 121-135 of 364