Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Beginner in JavaScript

Posted Jan 4, '13 at 8:07pm

chuncster

chuncster

24 posts

Hello guys, Chunc here:

I am planning on getting into flash game developing, however i'm brand new to the world of Java and JavaScript. I was wondering if I could rely on a person or more, literally just to get emails off people so i have somebody to call upon if i run into a trouble and i can't make sense of info scattered across the web.

I would be asking for suggestions on ideas i have, testing the game, and other things, so anybody that's got free time that wants to have my email for the near future, don't hesitate to leave a comment with your email, we can get to know each other a little bit more and get down to work once i'm ready :)

Cheers for reading fellas

Chunc

Posted Jan 4, '13 at 8:24pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

I know this is going to sound weird and ironic, but despite AG being a website that hosts flash games written in JavaScript, the forums aren't a good place to learn much. We just don't have a strong student-education base. We do, however, have quite a bit of supplies to get your feet off the ground.
KentyBK's Guide on Making Games for Free
LonLonRanch's Guide on Good Programming Technique
I also know Darkroot knows quite a bit about coding and could give you a few tips.

As for asking for suggestions on your game, head on over to the Art, Music, and Writing section for all of your non-coding needs. In fact, I'm making a game right now and have received quite a bit of help here and from many of my friends on the site.

Posted Jan 4, '13 at 8:51pm

chuncster

chuncster

24 posts

Sal i see a bright future ahead of me if i get info from you! That has to be the most detailed and helpful answer i have ever received since i started asking programming related question on this **** internet! That is going to help me so much! Much appreciated!!!

Chunc

Posted Jan 4, '13 at 9:05pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

No problem, and thanks for the compliment. ;)

As an alternative to creating the game utilizing JavaScript, you may also want to take a look at Action Script 3 with using FlashDevelop or Flash Professional for software. Most of the hardcore will either use AS3 or JavaScript for flash games, so I thought you might want to taste around and sample some stuff before you start learning something that won't help you.

Adobe Flash Professional is pretty high-end piece of software, but can make the whole process a lot easier.
FlashDevelop is a free program that will help you test out some tutorials using AS3 or JavaScript.
And some stuff to help you learn AS3:
Boom
Bam
Bop

Posted Jan 4, '13 at 9:12pm

chuncster

chuncster

24 posts

Thank you dude, yet more great info! I was told about action script in the past, thought at the time, i was a great newby and it just flew over my head... So you actually just reminded me of it! ;

Again, thanks for all the info, i will keep it favourited on my browser for easy access :)

Quick question: Is there any way of seeing my forum posts/comments without searching them out manually? I haven't yet spotted it yet (if it does exist) and it's very tedious clicking from post to post >_> :P

Chunc

Posted Jan 4, '13 at 9:18pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

Unfortunately, not yet. See, the current forums are fairly outdated, but the administrators of the site are developing and releasing updates to bring the site to a more modern state. They have planned and confirmed a feature like what you just mentioned, and it'll be out soon. You can read more about the updates in this thread. I know it says "A Small Update" for the title, but when it was created they weren't planning on releasing that information. Read through it when you get a chance.

Posted Jan 5, '13 at 5:10am

chuncster

chuncster

24 posts

Ok Sal thanks for the info :) Looking forward to seeing all the updates coming out ;D

Chunc

Reply to Beginner in JavaScript

You must be logged in to post a reply!