ForumsThe TavernFeedback (Do you prefer harsh or easy feedback?)

11 2728
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

I'm personally someone who is raised by "Realists". By that I mean that my parents weren't exactly super supportive but they always said that you can always improve if you put the effort and devotion into it but at the moment...I think you need a lot of work.

I absolutely love when people give me critical and harsh feedback. However to a certain degree. As long as it is useful.

If someone says, "THIS WAS A PIECE OF poop! THAT WAS TERRIBLE!" I'm probably going to ignore it but if someone says, "Hey man. You've got a nice start here but the sound was way off you can improve it by doing these few things (Insert list here)" I will take that much more seriously.

However I know some people that just can't take it. I constantly have to tell myself to only list the good and just 1 or two negatives because at times I can be a bit too critical. Now, although I like it when other people do it to me I feel like the other person just feels like I'm telling him to stop what he's doing and not continue.

Then again because I'm only 14 people think I don't like criticism which is absolutely terrible so I have to press an instructor to tell me straight and ACTUALLY GIVE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK.

Pro: That was great man! Good job. I like your style! (Insert 10 more positives here) The only thing I didn't like was your hands but that's only a really really tiny problem.

*turns out that if he had told me directly how to improve it my speed would have gone up by 20%*

Anyway, this isn't about me. How do you guys like your feedback? Served cold or do you like it really warm with a sweet lemonade for a drink?

• 11 Replies
xxBoogeymaNxx
xxBoogeymaNxx
83 posts
Nomad

As a practicing and soon-to-be pro artist, I love constructive criticism. As long as it isn't just blatant insults and degradation, i'm perfectly fine with it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

You need both. Harsh feedback used to be shouting, and sometimes a good smack for not doing optimal in school (parents). Ever since my teachers have been replaced by European ones, they've grown soft, and it's not all it used to be. I prefer harsher feedback, sprinkled with some more soothing words. Just not mollycoddling.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Somewhere in between...with harsh it will just make me pissed off..and that doesn't help my productivity. With easy..it makes me too laid-back.

A neutral one is one I greatly prefer..good ol' constructive criticism. Tell me what I did well..then focus on what I can work on

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

I absolutely love when people give me critical and harsh feedback. However to a certain degree. As long as it is useful.

what a terrible forum post that was! do you think anyone is gonna read that garbage? it might as well take up the whole page! you should really reconsider starting forums from now on!

AHAHAHAHAHAHA i have made you like me AHAHAHAHAHA

i love constructive criticism, much like what you have described. that wasnt constructive, but it was good and fun writing...
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I prefer honest feedback no matter how cruel it might be.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I always tell people to give me honest feedback, but I never get any negative comments. I must be just that awesome.

On an actually real note I definitely prefer honest feedback, because it makes you actually want to change something. If your coach/manager yells at you, you work harder.

It's not like at school when they hand back your tests they focus on your strong points and give you an A because of those.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

what a terrible forum post that was! do you think anyone is gonna read that garbage? it might as well take up the whole page! you should really reconsider starting forums from now on.

Well actually, if you look at my post again... =)

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I like when poeple tell me exactly what they think. If I did something wrong what I need to work on and if I did something right what I did good at. But if they are going tell yell at me like.............................

what the BLEEP is wrong with you?! What the BLEEP??!! That was terrible!!!You suck!!

I tune them out and walk away. I personally preferr stuff like..

you need to work on this, this, and this.I liked this but didn't like this.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

I'm good for whatever, my siblings aren't all that polite which sucks but it also gets me used to a lot of things I never realized other allot of other people had problems with. I can't give and exact example at the moment but it's not too terribly uncommon of an event.

sasukemystery
sasukemystery
1,447 posts
Nomad

I just want to know what they are thinking and maybe help me improve next time by giving examplese on how I can improve but not in a rude way.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I love feedback. As long as feedback in constructive and mature I can take all the negative feedback I can manage. It's what has probably made me who I am today. I was also personally raised by ''realists'' and though at some points it might be tough to listen to it, it always helps in the long run.

Now I have a friend who I hang out with sometimes, and you cannot criticize him in any way, not even positive. You could be like: ''Yeah that was great! You did awesome'' And in return he will say ''No but I did bad on this and that''. You could also be like: ''No don't do that like that! That's bad. It's not right'' and he'll be like ''NO IT'S GOOD, I'M DOING IT RIGHT.''

It may not be constructive but it is criticism nonetheless, and he can't take it. Even if I for example help him on a game he's new to, he will not take constructive criticism and help and will instead continue on the way he was playing. (Horribly xD)

Showing 1-11 of 11