Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Is cracking your knuckles bad for you?

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 1:53pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

I crack my knuckles quite often, mainly because they feel like they need to be cracked, I am sure you know the feeling. The way I normally crack my knuckles is just locking my fingers and stretching my arms, though I can often just move my fingers back without my other hand to crack them. Is this bad for me? I've looked at a couple pages (1) but I want you fellow smart people and knuckle crackers' opinions.

(I also roll my toes over and crack them, is this bad?)

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 2:28pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Cracking your knuckles doesn't harm anything. Same for any other joint.

Although I suppose if you're too forceful you could damage something...but generally you stop when there's pain.

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 2:33pm

MrStealth

MrStealth

137 posts

like one time i was lenning on a chair and my cracked and it hurt

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 3:13pm

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,791 posts

My brother did that when he was about 14,15 years old.He did it three times a day.Nothing happened with his fingers.Nothing happened to his fingers after that.

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 3:28pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,210 posts

I crack every part of my body and nothing happens to my fingers or my other parts.

So I'm pretty much saying that it isn't bad.

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 3:58pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,006 posts

Knight

It doesn't any real bad, but if done frequently over long time it will eventually affect the force of those joints. So I would suggest, don't overdo it.

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 4:47pm

spikeabc

spikeabc

1,004 posts

i fell backwards in a chair ounce and i cracked some things for the worse...

anyway no cracking your bones isnt gonna hurt you.

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 4:50pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,277 posts

i actually asked a doctor about this out of curiosity..he told me that basically..the worst it'll do is give you arthritis in those joints a few years earlier than when you would have them. But nothing bad like people commonly think so

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 4:51pm

tegan190

tegan190

614 posts

Erm, cracking one of many bones in the body can lead to death or paralyzing the body permanently.

If you're talking about cracking as in cracking your knuckles, you're right, it's harmless.

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 4:53pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,006 posts

Knight

It's not the bones anyway.. what does the popping sound is gas bubbles bursting and dispersing in the tissue, slowly accumulating again over time.

Reply to Is cracking your knuckles bad for you?

You must be logged in to post a reply!